Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
The twisted fringe on the yoke I saw was not wrapped around anything. It was just too tight and stable. I've removed leather from a metal hoop and it does retain the twist, but looks more like an old phone cord.

I'm thinking the twist on this fringe may have been lightly glued, or perhaps steamed? If anyone knows the "trick" please share. I picked up a sueded deer skin coat and skirt from Goodwill a while back. It's too small for my waist, but would make a lovely yoke. I can use the skirt leather and sleeves for longer twisted fringe, and the few dark brown panels in the skirt to make appliques for the yoke.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Wow. Just did a google search for twisted fringe. Noc Bay has a detailed instruction sheet that involves twisting a long strip of leather & letting it relax upon itself creating a rope look. These are usually done to add individual laces onto fans. Twisted Fan Fringe

But it seems we are all looking toward fringe that is cut from the assembled material. Here there's some tricks...

Powwows.com has a thread that discribes getting the leather wet & a method using a clothespin & electric screwdriver Powwows.com Twisted Fringe

Another site suggested wetting the leather with 50-50 alcohol/water <rubbing alcohol - not fire water> that 'opens' the leather and allows it to stretch. Alcohol Suggestion

-B-
"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children."
OP Offline
That is very helpful information, Beetle, thank you. I really like the instructions at the first link, Twisted Fan Fringe, because it is very detailed. This will come in handy for some of my winter projects.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Thanks so much for looking those up! With only 2 weeks until my daughter's wedding, I'm in full blown "headless chicken" mode.
I guess I'm adding another project to my Winter list.

It was a long/late drive home from SC Monday night. I was thinking about my Chief's belt and realized I need to personalize it in some way. Any ideas on how to represent "Dark Side of the Moon" in beads? He's a huge Pink Floyd fan, yeah, we're a weird bunch! That's the only Pink Floyd reference I could come up with to include in the bead pattern. I think it would fit well, but open to any other suggestions. The belt won't be big enough to include a flying pig:)

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
The prism with the white light split into the visible light spectrum (rainbow). Totally a classic & universal icon of Pink Floyd. << Nothing wrong or weird with Pink Floyd! In fact 35 years ago yesterday, my then girlfriend gifted me with the LP 'DSotM' and have watched 'The Wizard of Oz' synched to the album. >>

Would almost have to be appliqu�d to retain it from not looking pixelated; or use the very small micro seed beads (16/o - 20/o), but finding the colors needed could be the hindrance. I found this out searching for the 16/o greens I needed for the base color in the Meritorious Unit Citation ribbon.

I think it all depends on what the width you have to work on. Would having a larger black background to the segment detract from the other portions? The logo could easily be worked into a horizontal oval and could get by with the 6 primary/secondary colors, white & black.

Could be sneaky & silly by doing something in brick stitch & saying it is 'The Wall' In fact, brick (or any offset alignment pattern) could eliminate the grossly pixelated/stairstep effect that would occur with a straight loom or lane stitch.

Just my initial thoughts, having little to no idea what else is on the belt.

-B-
"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children."
OP Offline
Hmmm...how to represent "Dark Side of the Moon" in beads?

Maybe an applique stitch so you can get more definitive shapes in that image. I tend to agree with what Beetle said:

"The logo could easily be worked into a horizontal oval and could get by with the 6 primary/secondary colors, white & black."

Maybe a very dark blue instead of black would work also. I kind of imagine an oval, background dark blue, a thin crescent of lighter blue, a thin crescent of yellow, then dark blue again and a smaller, very faint crescent in the opposite direction to give the illusion of a circle to complete the circle of the moon. CC )

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 10/25/10 06:56 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll be doing the beadwork on a loom and it will only be 2-3 inches in height. Some images in the design are trees, and a river. I was thinking of trying to use a crescent moon as Phyllis suggested. That fits well with the other images.

The overall background will be a light eggshell. If I make a black border around the "moon" and use a pearlized light gray for the crescent, I think it will stand out and be recognizable, but a discreet tribute to his favorite band.

I'll have to use the 11/0 I already have, so not too many rows on the loom

Last edited by lcp012586; 10/28/10 12:13 AM.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
OP Offline
This sounds like it is going to be really pretty, lcp. The light eggshell background will make the image really stand out.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
OP Offline
I am almost finished with my second bracelet. Flat peyote stitch is much easier than I thought it would be -- once I got the hang of it.

I want to get some Delica beads to make these bracelets with. Delica beads are made uniform in size and will make much nicer looking bracelets.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
OP Offline
Here is a close up of my Peyote bracelet:

I like the three color combination.

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 11/08/10 08:16 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.