logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
I've read that bettas don't really live much more than three years or so. However, I have a betta that will be eight years old in December (I still have his bill of sale from 2002). Honestly, he doesn't seem much different then he did when I first got him; he swims a little slower (I think), and his face has lightened a bit, but other than that he's the axact same.

Can anyone tell me what his life expectancy might be? Does any one have experience with rediculously aged bettas?

Melissa McIntyre
Birds @ BellaOnline
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Dear Melissa,

Hi, That is so great that your betta is almost 8 years old! Kudos to you for being a great betta pet-parent! What is your routine for taking care of your fishy? Our fellow betta enthusiasts here at the Bellaonline.com Fish Forum would love to know I am sure.

There is another reader who has a Betta fish that is 9 years old, but you are closing in on the record. I have also read about 10 year old bettas.

I strongly believe, from the many emails and forum posts I've gotten here on the Fish Site that with proper care, which always includes consistently clean water, that Betta fish could live much longer than they actually do for most people.

On the other hand, the oldest living goldfish, who was named Tish, lived to be 47 years old. She was bought at a carnival in England in the 1950's.

What is your fish's name? Would you please tell us more about him? This is wonderful and super-interesting! Thank you for giving us this hopeful story! I love to hear great things like this! ( : - Mary

Mary Brennecke Fish Site
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
We need to give each goldfish we get the best possible treatment and care and love and then I think we will have a more accurate idea of how long they really live. My guess is that they live longer under optimal living conditions than anyone could imagine. >)))'>

Mary Brennecke Fish Site
C
C
I am so glad to read that bettas can live several years. My daughter wants one for Christmas, (which means I will take care of it) but I was hesitant because I didn't want to have to deal with the trauma of death with her at a young age. But if they live for several years that is great to know. Thanks!

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Yes, from reading thousands of letters from readers about their fish, I am convinced that fish can live a lot longer than most people think - if only the fish parents can take better care of them - consistently throughout the life of the fish - clean water, everything else about the water correct - pH, temperature - correct plants and decorations and maintenance of these fixtures in the fish's environment - a healthy, appropriate diet - and believe it or not - emotional well-being. Pets - fish included- respond to attention, care, love, environmental factors, change, stress, tone of voice, facial expression - so many things - we could go on and on. Mainly, thoughtful and caring observation of them and attention to them and constantly arming yourself with knowledge on the subject of the type of fish you have - will go a long way toward the health and welfare and long life of your pet fish - as with everyone and everything else in your life. It is a joyful responsibility to be a fishy parent. Your fishy family member makes every day more delightful for you and your family. They just need care and consideration just like everyone else. fish lovers

Mary Brennecke Fish Site

Moderated by  Mary_Betta_Fish 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.