logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Bully for all those who did not need the pregnant parking space. I really strongly suggest, that if another pregnancy comes your way not to use it because there may be someone else who really needs it.

I really really appreciated it, after puking my guts out for 5 months and loosing 25 pounds in my first trimester and toting a toddler around at the same time.

At one point I lost control of by blood levels and anemia almost put me flat on my face. So there were a few weeks there at my energy was so low I din't know if I could get through the grocery store or not... but I had too. Other people counted on me.

Then at 9 months my ankles so swollen they looked like bannana boats and it was hard to walk and even harder to just stand... and then I confess I used those parking spaces after the pregnancy too, for about 8 weeks after the c-section because my kids were to dam big to push out... my c-section recoveries were tough. Pregnancy is not over till its over.

I really appreciate the stores that put benches by the door also. I see the elderly use them all the time...and probably some pregnant women too!

Arrow Durfee
Stomach Issues
Stomach Issues Forum

"and in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make" John Lennon

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Elephant
Elephant
Quote:
Why single pregnant people out as special? My mother carried 2 very large babies and did so without special parking or even a car...that's right! *GASP* My 8 month pregnant mother walked a mile each way and carried her groceries back to the house by herself! IN JUNE!! IN TEXAS!

Thank you! My point exactly. I walked into a hospital and was 8 cm dilated and the staff acted like it was a big deal. We've all been brain washed to think our daily activities are supposed to be convenient and easy. They're not. Our bodies are designed for hard work and movement constant movement.

My mother has a terminal lung condition and she struggles to breathe every single day. Like I said people with severe handicaps need spots but everybody else should get off their lazy butts and move.

I've also been dealing with an inflamed hip and back pain for months now and I don't expect special treatment. It really bugs me how people think we need a life of quick cheap and easy. Get over it. There's people dying of cancer and other diseases every day. People who can move should be grateful and take advantage that they can do things others can't. I don't care how old you are, if you have 5 kids or if you're slightly injured.

Emergencies like Lasik or boob job or other are different but that old woman had no emergency or handicap. She was just rude and yes I would've had hell to pay if I had not deposited that check that my client kept "forgetting" to bring for over 2 weeks.

Last edited by ExerciseEditor; 10/18/10 05:38 PM.

Monica Neave ISSA Certified Fitness Therapist

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

Shark
Shark
I live my CF "family" here, you all are awesome. And so are some of you mommies posting on here. I have enjoyed reading the debate on this topic. I agree with exerciseeditor, unless you really CAN NOT walk than get off your butt and walk.

Women have been having babies for hundreds of thousands of years with out needing special accommodations. They endured pregnancy while living in houses made of mud and hides, caring for other young children and foraging berries and other food. They delivered with out doctors or nurses or epidurals. They worked in factories with out A/C in the midst of summer. They rode buses or bikes or walked (like swearbears mom)to get groceries. Some women still do many of those same things today while pregnant.

I don't understand how Americans got this crazy idea that pregnancy is so miraculous, special and hard. Women have been doing it since the beginning of our species. It is nothing new and nothing praise worthy.

Last edited by Kat1980; 10/18/10 09:02 PM.
Zebra
Zebra
Maybe we need MORE special parking spots. I'd vote for some of the farthest away being labeled "Fat, Lazy People Parking".

I'd probably use them, too! laugh

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
swearbear, Your mom and my dad have a lot in common - he used to walk in 10 feet of snow several miles to school when he was only six... and so and so on. Or so he says.

My prior post wasn't actually "pro-preggo" it was pro-considerate.

I apologize for commenting previously. I mistakenly assumed this (and any) thread was open to all participants simply for the sake of discussion. smile

How boring to only want to hear from people who think like you.

Kat1980, I agree that pregnancy doesn't need to be considered unique, but I still see it as miraculous. The miracle of life never gets old to me, but I'll digress into a whole "life is beautiful" convo, so I'll stop there. Times are different though. I wish things now were as simple as the past, when "going green" and "natural" living were not just trends or the politically correct thing to do, but a way of life.

Part of this thread sort of reminds me of two people arguing over who has the worst malady. Have you ever had a convo like that?
"I have such a headache."
"YOU have a headache? I have a migraine!"
"A Migraine? Well, my head's actually falling off..."
smile

Last edited by Rayna - Virus & Spam; 10/19/10 07:48 PM.

"I don't think of all the misery, but of the beauty that still remains."
Anne Frank

Rayna
Depression Site
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
[quote=Rayna - Virus & SpamPart of this thread sort of reminds me of two people arguing over who has the worst malady. Have you ever had a convo like that?
"I have such a headache."
"YOU have a headache? I have a migraine!"
"A Migraine? Well, my head's actually falling off..."
smile [/quote]

Rayna, You're too funny!!! I know people just like that!!!

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
As it so happens, I'm currently temporarily disabled. I broke a couple of bones in my foot when I dropped a 4 x 4 on it helping to build a new fence in our backyard (fence is awesome by the way). So, I have a lovely cast on my foot, get it off in 3 weeks. Since I've had it for the past 3 weeks, I've been noticing more and more the parking situation. I live in a pretty crowded city, the kind of place where even all the handicap parking fills up. So, even with my temporary sticker, I don't always get the luxury of a handicap spot. But, there are those stupid pregnant and new mom spots. I agree, if you are too unwell to walk during pregnancy, you shouldn't even be up. I have to park in what feels like another county, and hobble past as mommy puts her kid in a stroller and walks with ease into the building.

I'm injured. You have are pregnant or have a kid. BIG DIFFERENCE.

On a side note, I've also noticed people parking in handicap (with stickers and such) who have, as far as I can tell, no difficulty getting around. How did these people get stickers?!

S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
Originally Posted By: Rayna - Virus & Spam
swearbear, Your mom and my dad have a lot in common - he used to walk in 10 feet of snow several miles to school when he was only six... and so and so on. Or so he says.

The difference is, my mother was on a military base in San Antonio ( my brother was born in July) and my father used their only car to get to work, so it was suck it up or stay at home...you might want to consider that yes, there are people in this world that do rough things without pampering instead of calling it an exaggeration. My husband was born in Malaysia to an American woman living abroad who walked to the hospital to give birth...she not only didn't have a parking spot, the hospital didn't have a roof or any cribs, so my hubby was placed in a laundry basket...born healthy and happy...call THAT an exaggeration.

G
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
G
Re the question of healthy people having disabled badges / stickers - The problem in the U.K. is ; A disabled person gets a badge and puts it on the family car. Then, you guessed it, grandad or other disabled relative rarely uses it - benefite include new car every 3 years, at reduced rate, and free road tax, as well as the ability to park just about anywhere ( as long as it's not causing an obstruction ). So most 'disabled' cars are used by everyone and their granny to take them to work / shopping. it's a sobering sight when you see a person getting out of a dsabled badged car and get into a wheelchair, or have an obvious problem with mobility. You just so rarely see it. My husbands cousin uses sticks to walk, and very rarely leaves the house. his wife, while claiming every benefit under the sun, uses the car on a daily basis, taking the kids to school etc etc. Do we say anything ? No. cowards ? keeping the family peace ? Other things more important in life ? BUT. when her mother says, how amazing it is that they cope with only one wage, and have two kids, ( both of whom have tv.s and other gadgets in their respective bedrooms, ) and go to Spain, for their yearly holiday, there is an audible sound of knashing teeth from me and hubby.... Loving these posts. And yes, I gave a huge facepalm to the previous pages post .

I dislike those parking signs, but even more do I hate the Mom and Infant only parking signs. I figure that, yes, pregnant women may feel poorly and not want to walk a long distance, so fine. But, once you've had the kid, it's time to put the baby in the stroller and walk like everyone else. Like Kay, I do feel these signs reward breeding, so I always make sure to park in the Woman and Infant spots when I have a car full of dogs:)

Last edited by Lori B - Editor MNK; 10/21/10 12:46 PM.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.