logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
Thank you, Beetle. I will follow your advice and let my spirit guide me.

Zipper edging sounds very much like your fret edging. First a single bead is anchored on the edge, two more beads picked up and pass the needle back through the edge about on space from the first thread. Pass the needle back through the last bead. This makes one bead lie on it side and forces one bead to stand up. It seems fairly easy. I have a beading book with a diagram of it (Beading in the Native American Tradition by David Dean). I am anxious to try it. It makes a very nice edging.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
That's exactly it! Makes the beads stand as such

_|_|_|_
/////////

-B-
"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children."
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
When I started beading many years ago, one of my teachers told me NOT to strive for perfection. There is none, other than the Creator. Every One and Every Thing is unique in some special way. Perhaps this is the basis of the "Spirit Bead."

I mentioned in another post about our give aways at the Pow-Wow and one involved a Spirit Bead. On Thursday, the Head Veteran gave all the others a small plastic frog, and explained this acronym.
F - Forever
R - Relying
O - On
G - God
When my husband showed me his FROG, I realized I had the perfect gift for the Head Veteran. A fetish necklace made many years ago and seldom worn, with red and black stones (Warrior colors) 2 small blackstone frogs and a larger red jasper one at the center. When I was making it, I wanted the frogs to be looking up, which presented an issue with the red one. Something was needed to secure the sinew and a feather dangling from a frog's rear didn't seem appropriate. I found a seed bead, the exact color of the red jasper, and it fit flush in the hole.

My husband gave the necklace with my firm instructions NOT to point out THAT particular bead. The Head Vet has a fabulous sense of humor and a prankster himself at times. He found me later that day and I told him there was something about the necklace I had to show him. I lifted up the red jasper frog and he started laughing. Yes, there is a frog turd on the necklace. When I added, "I had to put the Spirit Bead somewhere," he doubled over!

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Beetlemess
That's exactly it! Makes the beads stand as such

_|_|_|_
/////////

Right! It really is a pretty edging. I pulled out my pipe bag last night and started beading so I can finish up the lane stitching then get started on the zipper edging to close the bag.

My next task on the pipe bag will be the fringe on the bottom. I left 12" beneath the beading for self-fringe. I am not sure what that will look like. The fabric is a very good quality suede and I think the fringe will look okay. I will post another picture when it is completed.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
OP Offline
laugh That is so funny, lcp! What a place to put a spirit bead. Every time he wears the necklace he will have happy thoughts.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
The fringe will look great - 12 inches worth - very nice.

I tried twisted fringe on a fob that I peyote'd. These have a pointed tip with an eye screw at the end to add onto a ring or lace (basically shaped like a bullet). After wrapping the dowel with suede, I left a good 5-6 inches beyond the end. I decided to try a twisted fringe look on it. Seemed that everyone wanted me to make them a key-ring fob with the twisted fringe.

My peyote work still finds me not satisfied when I attempt to decrease/increase. Just can't seem to get the beads to lay/space right. Here's where my spirt jumps in...

Love the FROG story.

-B-
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Beetle, when you get that peyote work straightened out, I would love some tips on twisted fringe. One of the dancers had a yoke and the twisted fringe swayed exquisitely while she danced.

She allowed me a closer look, and the twists were SO tight and stable, I have no clue how to do that. With the large crowd on Saturday, there wasn't an opportunity for me to chat with the vendor who made it.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
With the key fob, it was continually rolling it into the twist. Watch TV, twist - ride mass transit, twist. I would have to venture so far as to saying the quality of the leather has to be key.

I'm thinking of trying by using a new chamois (versus suede) to bead over and that should yield some very tight plyable twists.

For those that don't know: Wrapping the object to be peyote'd (gourded) with leather (I have seen felt) allows the beads to nestle in & present a smooth appearance. Supposedly, it adds to blending in the increases & decreases - Not in my case...

-B-
OP Offline
Do you twist the strips around anything - and how do the strips retain that shape?

Phyllis Doyle Burns
I just twist the strip on itself. Grab the end & twist away. The fringe relaxes over time but a double tightening twists puts it back into shape.

Luckily there are only a dozen or so strands to work with on this keyfob project. The fringe on a shirt or dress would be a lot of work doing it this way. There has to be a trick.

-B-
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.