Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#627521 09/10/10 11:42 PM
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
A few times a week, after supper, we drive out to the University Experimental Station to watch the animals and look for wildlife. We usually see a lot of mule deer, hawks, marmots, and wild horses roaming around the fields back near the mountain foothills.

The most unusual thing we have seen, (well...unusual for us), is the Llama Mamas. There are several flocks of sheep out there. Each flock has it's own field to graze in and it's own pen to sleep in at night. They even have their own Llama to guard them. Each Llama keeps an eye on the flock it is guarding and is very alert to any strangers coming around. Just after dusk, the Llama Mama goes out and rounds up the sheep by just walking around the perimeter of the flock. All the sheep follow their Llama back to the pen. The Llama walks back and forth in the pen, forcing the sheep into a corner where they all lay down close to each other for the night. The Llama then checks them out, turns towards the road and lays down facing the road with the flock safely asleep behind her.

This was just so amazing to us I had to do some research on it and found the following link about "Guard Llamas" . Apparently they are geldings, but I still call them Llama Mamas. They take their job very seriously.

YouTube has a vidoe of Llamas guarding sheep. It is really interesting how these Llamas care for their "family". Just go to YouTube and type in "Llama guarding sheep".

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 09/10/10 11:49 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
OP Offline
Last night we went back out to watch the Llama and his flock of sheep. It was just after dusk when we got there. The Llama had gathered all the sheep in the pen for the night. After all the sheep were settled the Llama lay down in front of them watching the road. We drove on to the end of the road looking for deer.

When we drove back by the Llama, he was at the trough getting a drink of water. Every sheep in his flock was line up behind him, in a single line, waiting their turn to drink.

It is just so amazing to watch the strict routine the Llama keeps them under and how the sheep seem to respect and trust their Llama Mama.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
S
Parakeet
Parakeet
S
Llamas are amazing animals - it is a great gift that you are able to observe them in such a way.

Susan Hopf
Horses and Animal Life site editor
Horses Website
Horses Forum
Animal Life Site
OP Offline
It is an amazing gift. We so enjoy watching them. My mother never cared much for Llamas until she saw how they take care of their "little family". Now she is just so impressed with them and realizes how intelligent they are.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
The animal kingdom has so much to offer humans if we'd only "listen"

Granny
Thousands of years ago cats were considered Gods
Cats have never forgotten this.
B
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
B
My husband used to get so peeved at my pet Llama. He would block his path when he was trying to get out to the little calves to check on them. He's just keep walking in the way and blocking the path in front of him. He was very protective. He was not mean or anything, just kind of an annoyance to my husband. My kids used to ride him when they were little. He was a great pet. Very inquisitive. He would want to smell new people's breath, to get to know them. It was quite disconcerting for my friends, as they thought he might bite. His breath smelled like peanuts. He was a goofy guy.

OP Offline
Hi borageflower. Your pet Llama must have been a lot of fun. He sure provided you and your kids with good memories. That is really interesting that he would smell people's breath to get to know them. They are very inquisitive animals and have a natural instinct to protect their adoptive families.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: WalkingGranny
The animal kingdom has so much to offer humans if we'd only "listen"

This is so true, Granny. Animals can teach us many things.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
B
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
B
My llama would run across the pasture to meet one of my friends. Stop at a dead stop right in front of them and smell their breath. I had to warn them, it's ok, he's not going to attack or run over you. Weirdest thing. He was quite the character. Very loving. and liked attention.

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: borageflower
My llama would run across the pasture to meet one of my friends. Stop at a dead stop right in front of them and smell their breath. I had to warn them, it's ok, he's not going to attack or run over you. Weirdest thing. He was quite the character. Very loving. and liked attention.

That is so cute! Last night we were out at the farm watching the cattle round up. After tagging the cows the ranch-hands herded them back across the road to the pasture. The Llama who was watching his sheep was not happy about all those cows tromping through his area -- so, he herded all his sheep into the pen and back into one corner. When all the sheep were safely tucked in out of harm's way, the Llama lay down in front of his group and faced the pen gate to make sure no cows wandered in. It was so fascinating to watch the way the Llama protected his "family". The sheep mind him very well.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Deb - Animal Life 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.