Horses Website
Horses Forum
Animal Life Site
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
I so want chickens. But i travel too much, so it's not the right time for it.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
What a fantastic article, Susan!

I have always wanted to raise chickens, but Bob is strongly against it. And I admit that I would become really attached to the chickens and very distraught when each one died.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
L
Shark
Shark
L
Great article, Susan. We've had chickens for over a year now, and have enjoyed them every day, except the one day we butchered the meat birds. The eggs are delish, and the chickens eat bugs of all kinds. They've kept the carpenter ants at bay, and that's no mean feat! We have lost quite a few to predators: coyotes and bears we're pretty sure. We try not to name them, and try not to get attached. We let them free range during the day (out where the ants are) and it's inherently dangerous out here in the woods. So far the loss rate has been 'acceptable,' though hubby did buy a bear tag...

S
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
S
I already knew I could never raise animals to kill and eat - I wish it were different as I know the animals would have great lives prior to being dinner. The eggs are a compromise - since they lay them regardless I don't mind eating them.

Just how busy they are all day long was quite a surprise. I have little doubt that they will be with us for as long as they can be and then buried with all the other critters - out back on the hill. We will add a few here and there along the way to keep the numbers up.

My chickies will eventually have half an acre to call their own but fenced in - I run a horse boarding and training business and too many cars and people and dogs are around during the day to ensure everyone's safety with chicken running loose. As a compromise I already have day trips planned for next year's veggie garden (also fenced to keep the woodchucks out) so chicks will be able to eat all the bugs.

I am thrilled with the chickens and can't wait til they start laying - may have to wait until next spring at this point - not sure how successful lighting the coop will be since they have not yet started laying - almost there but a month or so away from being old enough.

They are truly easy to take care of - I suggest it for anyone interested in great eggs - you only need a small bit of space for a few chickens - don't really need a rooster as they lay eggs regardless - fun and healthy too.

Susan Hopf
Horses and Animal Life site editor
Horses Website
Horses Forum
Animal Life Site
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Haha! I talked to my MIL today and our long range plans involve chickens! So I won't be there all year, but for part of the year I will have chickens. smile

We are thinking, from my research, three laying hens and no rooster. We just want eggs for now.

My mother wants to get some Banty (Bantam) hens and rooster. She knows the eggs are smaller, but good. The main reason is she just wants them in her back yard because they are so cute -- and they will eat insects that might harm her flowers and vegetables.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
My Wises' daughter and her family keep chickens. I look after them when the they are on holiday. Even in built-up Portsmouth (UK) we have urban foxes so they are safely shut in at night. One of my Pagan friends kept chickens and, in addition to letting them out during the day, had a completely enclosed cage area for them around the coop so they could come out and scratch around at any time of the evening or early morning. There was even wire netting buried several foot under the earth floor! Lots of foxes tried digging under but without success and it kept them from any other mischief.
One further tip: if you are suspicious of eggs being sold as "Free range" get a cheap UV light from a stamp (philatelists) shop and shine it on the egg. Free range eggs will reflect the light evenly, while the ones laid in cages will reveal the pattern of the cage embossed on the shell.

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Susan, I have been buying eggs from a couple of places that have pastured chickens, cows, pigs etc. There definitely is a difference in the flavor and appearance of the eggs. The meat I buy from them is better too. I've often thought when I retire I want to move to a country setting so I could raise chickens. Although I hadn't considered them entertainment sounds like that's a good possibility. My uncle had a chicken coop for many years; even supplied one of the local mom and pop diners with eggs. I doubt I could ever eat a chicken I raised, in fact if I get the opportunity to raise chickens I'll probably quit eating poultry all together.

Ninjahedgewych Never heard that. I'm going to try it. Thanks

Granny
Thousands of years ago cats were considered Gods
Cats have never forgotten this.
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Ian, that's wild! I never heard that about a cage pattern. I have to try this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Deb - Animal Life 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.