Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
ooops!... didn't even read your post about the bread pudding.
I have no idea how to make it healthy - that's one of those things - if you're going to have it - have it right.

I also have a recipe for a chocolate caramel bread pudding that I haven't tried yet.

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Shark
Shark
Lori is right about the old bread making bread pudding. Thanks for reminding us. My mom used to make it and it was the best!

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I take bread slices that are past their prime and make a "Poor Man's Lasagne" with it. I spread butter and garlic on the slices and layer it in a pan with spaghetti sauce and cheese then bake it.

Good stuff!

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

And I make Pilzragout mit Semmelknoedeln, A Mixed Mushroom ragout with Spicy Herb and Onion Bread Dumplings.

The different mushrooms are often carefully harvested from the woods in the autumn.

Yum can taste it now, one of the good things about autumn/winter.

Last edited by Francine - German Culture; 08/18/11 11:56 AM.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
Such wonderful ideas here, all of them!

To healthy up bread puddings, I add lots of fresh or dried fruits to the mix and lots of nuts, too. And I use whole-grain breads as much as possible.

Use fat-free milk instead of the creamier versions. Even sweetened evaporated milk comes in a fat-free form so this saves some calories. It's yummy and it might provide all the sweetness you want, without added sugar.

Minimize the sugar, if possible; I often substitute brown sugar instead of the plain white granulated stuff because I think it has a bigger flavor so less seems to do more for me. Before putting it in the oven, I top the pudding off with a generous sprinkle of turbinado sugar; its big crystals don't melt in the oven so there's a sweet crunch to the finish that makes up for less sugar inside.

Use egg whites instead of the whole egg as the binder.

Bump up other flavors so sugar and cream aren't missed so. Be generous with cinnamon and vanilla. Add a capful (or more) of almond extract to the pudding. Or a drop or two (but no more) of orange or lemon oil; too much of these oils becomes overpowering and bitter. Or a shot glass of brandy, whiskey, or a luscious liqueur like the coffee-flavored stuff, amaretto, etc.

I keep a big baggie in the freezer and I add the odd piece of bread to it until I've accumulated a baggie full - then it's time for bread pudding!

Sandy Hemphill, Cocktails Editor
Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
I got a little bit crazy with this bread-making project a while back:

Five Minutes a Day for Fresh-Baked Bread

Five minutes and 50 cents a day was a kitchen experiment I couldn't pass up.

I used this recipe to make all the breads you'd expect, even the Indian naan listed in the article. I used it to make pizza dough, focaccia, garlic bread, cinnamon rolls, dinner rolls, you name it!

One time I substituted whole wheat flour for the AP flour the recipe calls for. I'd always added a cup or two of WW flour but I tried it 100% WW and got a very dense, chewy bread that I liked but it wasn't very pretty. Didn't rise much but I loved it, especially as toast for breakfast.

One day I sliced one of these dense, flat WW loaves into thick slices and put them in the food dehydrator. Left them there for a day or two till they got very hard and brittle, like big crackers. They were wonderful! So, maybe putting sliced bread in the food dehydrator is a good way to use old bread?

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

Here's a trick I learned in culinary school for using up old sweet breads - make rum balls!

Collect odd bits of sweet breads in a baggie in the freezer till it's full. Mixed breads are perfect. I've collected cookies, cake (even with the frosting on it), muffins, cinnamon rolls, danishes, cupcakes, fruit cake, brownies, anything and everything that's a sweet bread. Sometimes some of it has chocolate chips in it or nuts or fruit, frosting, filling, whatever. It all works and it all works together.

When you've got a baggie of sweet stuff collected, break it into very small bits and crumbs in a large mixing bowl; use a large bowl so you'll have plenty of room to work. Toss it all around together to mix up all the flavors. Over that, sprinkle a little rum - just a little, light sprinkle - then work the rum into the bread crumbs. Add a very little bit more rum at a time till the bread crumbs are all moist but not wet. You want to get the bread just damp enough to hold its shape when you squeeze it together in your hand.

When it's ready to squeeze, squeeze and roll each piece into a ball about the size of a walnut and place it on a cooke sheet. Refrigerate the batch till its time to serve them. Before serving, roll each rum ball in cocoa powder, confectioners sugar, ground nuts, or anything else that seems like a tasty idea.

If the powdery coating soaks into the rum balls before serving time (do expect this to happen if you start early), just roll them again right before serving or sprinkle more coating on top.

You won't need to add any flavors or other ingredients to this recipe because each of the breads you've collected is already flavored to perfection.

Don't like or have rum? Brandy and whiskey are great companion flavors for sweets. So is coffee for a non-alcoholic version.

When I was a pastry chef for a catering company, I made rum balls by the hundreds! I'd collect all the ugly bits that didn't go to customers - broken cookies or brownies, misshapen cinnamon rolls and other pastries, the trimmed edges of cakes, whatever. I hate to see food - and money! - go into a garbage can.

This is an excellent way to make use of all the sweets that will come your way during the winter holidays. Instead of eating that last cookie, muffin, or whatever (like I'm tempted to do), just stash it in the freezer. Collecting enough sweet breads during the holidays is quick, too, since sweets seem to be around every corner. Turn that dietary obstacle course into a frugal gourmet delight!

You can make the rum balls ahead of time and freeze them in one layer (like on a cookie sheet). When frozen, toss them into a baggie or air-tight container. When guests are expected, just thaw them and roll 'em. You'll have a wonderful dessert or dish to take to the office party, church dinner, etc.

Funny story: I had a friend who thought he wanted to be a caterer so we rented a food trailer for two weeks during a major antiques fair. I've had tons of catering experience so I did most of the food and he specialized in cupcakes. He thought he might want to get a cupcake biz started. His cupcakes sold but not as fast as he made them and he was afraid he'd have hundreds of cupcakes to throw away, along with his money going into the garbage can. I told him to never fear, that I had a trick up my sleeve. He was skeptical at first but he quickly became horrified as I unceremoniously stuffed his unsold cupcakes into a baggie that went into the freezer. Such blasphemy!

One night I started rolling up some good ol' rum balls. He watched in horror as I destroyed his precious cupcakes and told me he was not happy at all with my trick.

Those rum balls were so popular I rolled 'em all day long. Typical order when something like this: Could I have a cupcake (or two) and about a dozen of those rum balls, please?

They were a tremendous success - and a money maker. He did not go into catering or the cupcake biz. I retired from catering. Again.

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
After reading all this i just used some stale bread this morning to make a modified bread pudding, using greek vanilla yogurt, raisins, some chocolate chips, cinnamon and milk. Pretty good.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Sandy, those rum balls sound amazing.

I am thinking I want to put together a free ebook based on all these ideas. Do you guys mind if i use your words? Since the ebook will be free, it won't be like i will make money from this - but i do think this would be excellent information to have wrapped up cleanly in one place.

What do you guys think?

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

I've often wondered how yogurt would work in a bread pudding. Glad you tried it. I just made a gallon of the stuff in my crock pot so I had yogurt on the brain when I wrote my pudding post this morning.

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jilly 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.