Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Times are SO hard for SO many of us right now. Some barely have enough to pay the rent/house payment, with little or none left over for survival supplies. If you have been working on your network, it's almost certain to include member(s) less fortunate than yourself, mine does.

For those of us with the means to prepare, we must also consider those in our network who don't. It's just my husband and me, but I'm currently ready with 4 weeks of food/supplies for 8 people. I'm working on doubling that by the end of the year. Somewhere I posted my husband suggested a storage area I had not thought of. It's cleverly hidden, with enough cubic feet for another month's worth. We only need to weather/water proof it.

I'm not the only one taking this to what some would consider extreme measures. We know a couple who can everything and each closet in their house is filled with reinforced shelves and food. They eat from one and then move onto the next, replenishing at every opportunity. Friends and neighbors bring excess from their gardens and nothing goes to waste. They have a large family, but enough to feed them all for a year. Their grown children help with providing canning supplies.

Half the people I'm preparing for live in different states. During a crisis, travel will be hard, and they may not be allowed into our area. I discussed this with the Emergency Management Director. My suggestion was for my family members to have a copy of my current driver's license with my street address.

He quickly realized it could only have been provided by me, and a good way to verify their destination. Yes, it could pose identity theft issues. However, both my child and sister already know we don't have much, so why bother, not that they would. I'm also working on "Back Road Guides" for them which include family/friends along the various routes.

They will have directions which avoid interstates, safe places along the way, access to my home, supplies available and a secondary safe place in a rural area already established. I don't think I can do anything more, other than move them down here now. Unfortunately, that's not possible.

It may seem like I'm taking on everything, but not quite. If my family members can get here, they will be bringing supplies too. They are preparing as much as they can. It's truly a joint effort, based on each person's abilities and means.

Last edited by lcp012586; 09/09/10 11:23 AM.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
For those of us with a little to spare on preparing, here's some ideas which can hopefully maximize our efforts.

Shop at re-sale/thrift stores. Even though I've been "junkin" for years, I'm still amazed with things I find. However, it is getting harder, as more people have no other option. In our area, these stores are busier, and that makes "treasures" harder to come by. While there, don't forget to check the book section for old cook books, or ones on natural healing, first aid, camping and survival techniques. If you stumble on a good one, please share the title with us!

You can find sleeping bags, tents and other camping items, plastic storage boxes for medical supplies, a sturdy "bug-out" bag, all at significant discount. I've found spare blankets, linens, tarps, canopies, rope, tape, screening, tools and a shop light for my husband, new in the box, not to mention clothes and shoes. What I save on these things, I can spend on food.

Many re-sale stores are closed on Mondays. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are good for catching the new items. You need to be persistent and consistent. Stopping by as frequently as once a week, the owners/employees will get to know you. At our local Goodwill, I'm the "Yarn Lady." That customer recognition has provided me some good deals over the years.

Use coupons and shop the sales! Our grocery store has "Buy 1 Get 1 Free" deals every week. If I have coupons for each BOGO item, my savings are compounded. You wouldn't think state laws would apply to grocery store sales, but they do. In GA, you can purchase 1 BOGO item and pay 1/2 price. In FL, you have to get 2 items to save anything.

Check with your grocery store about BOGO offers and to see if they honor competitor coupons. There are hundreds of coupons on-line you can print. However, some stores, like our local Walmart, do not accept them. Make sure your grocery store does.
Trade coupons with friends and family. I get so many I can't use, but pass them on to someone who can.

But my best way to save and stock up on food is with Angel Food Ministries. If you've never heard of this, please check out the website to see if they deliver to your area.

angelfoodministries.com

This national service utilizes non-profit/religious organizations and volunteers to provide good food at cut rate prices. There are NO income requirements or restrictions. Everyone can purchase Angel Food. You can order on line or at the host organization. They accept cash, credit cards and all government assistance programs.

We started with Angel Food over 2 years ago and have consistently saved $75-$100 a month on groceries, sometimes more. Their meats are AWESOME and they have a good variety. We've saved enough since starting to pay for all the food and drink at my daughter's wedding in November. After that, we're saving up for a solar generator/power supply.

Please jump in and share some of your tips on any topic. As Elleise shared, we all have a piece of this recipe for preparation and survival.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
We've had over a thousand views of this thread! It's exciting that forum members are checking back and hopefully the tips shared are helpful and inspiring.

Many of us are facing financial and other challenges with creative solutions. I'm certainly not alone in this. So please join in.

If you have tried something that worked, please share. It could benefit so many. If you have a question about anything discussed here, please ask. The answer to a simple question can help others. I may not know the answer, but will help find it.

The dreams and visions shared in our companion thread are for the future. They could be realized in 2 years or 20 years. Unfortunately with our "abilities" specific dates aren't revealed, and that can be so frustrating. However, I am so thankful for the information and validations. I'm grateful for the time and opportunity to learn, share, and prepare.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
LCP - Thanks for pointing that out. I have a horrible time looking at my progress or getting paid for that matter. It's just one of those things you just do and don't really expect anything...you're not doing it for anything gainful, just - this is what's coming through and on my life I'm not making this stuff up. So anyway, thank you very much for drawing at least my personal attention to something that is now digitally correct I guess and you can see your progress smile

The issues coming in for me, I don't know if you feel these as well, but what I get are like tidal waves???? So, say there's a Tsunami - and that wipes a village out. What I feel this thing is isn't that.

Ok? So what I'm getting is waves.

With this tread in particualr, what I'm feeling is most poignant is that it's sole purpose is to help get as many people as possible from one wave to the next.

I feel we will see signs...there will be more and more headlines of people just doing more and more crazy things.

Maybe you could just say, well that's just how things are now...well no, what I get is that "See those people???? This is what you will need to provide and protect your own family from when these waves begin to gain more and more momentum.

I see it as when you first start to see one or two tiny red ants in your kitchen in the spring...you pay little attention, just maybe notice and a few months later they are everwhere.

When what I and many others feel is happening, but not "happening", happens, these are the desperate psychies, personalities that have now, during these waves, basically found permission to do what they've been holding inside all of this time.

Groccery stores will not be reliable. Find a water source.

Last edited by Eleise - Clairvoyance; 09/10/10 11:23 PM.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Thanks Elleise. I also posted my "Wave" Theory on our companion topic. We have two time frame issues. 1st - when does this all start and 2nd - how much time will we have between waves to regroup and resupply for the next.

My feeling is that we will be hit with a substantial wave initially. This will be followed by smaller, possibly regional waves of troubles, with a few larger ones in the mix, before we're hit with the Tidal Wave you described for the future, 18 to 25 years out.

I think the "weeding out" process described by Caubearer11 fits with my theory of multiple waves, varying in size and areas affected. You have also mentioned regional civil unrest and wars. These would fit with the larger waves in the mix.

Last edited by lcp012586; 09/11/10 12:22 AM.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I really connect with that - TWO TIME ISSUES! That's it.

It comes through like your foot falling asleep...tingly, prickly,some heavy some not as and then it's just you want not for anything unimaginable to happen so you go into protect mode.

But that makes perfect sense.

I feel there are waves...ok, they lead up to this bigger thing. I'm in a place now, where I can utilize it but man do i feel strongly I need to pace myself and get out. I need to be out by year 7.

That doesn't mean just out of the project...I need to have my stuff in place by year 7.

I'll have to keep an eye on that...this is the first time I've had a number.

I feel the market ends up crashing. That is one of the things that jsut sends people out of their minds. Not all people but it's like it ensues part of the panic.

I mean if you aren't invested in the market, it'skind of like...oh well, not that big a deal...that makes sense.

But, if the market falls and creates panic in the business investments and I know it's not out ther yet, but even the millionaires and billionaires are losing it...they just aren't going public with it. What they are doing instead is, "Charity work"

Don't understimate (not you, figuretive) the lucritiveness of being on talk shows, networking, commercializing, etc. and asking for money in the name of something from people who are already strugging, as "a cause." The money isn't exactly going where they say it is. More like paying bills.

Last edited by Eleise - Clairvoyance; 09/11/10 12:51 AM.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Two more thrifty food tips

We buy "day old" bread. It's the only way we can afford the pricier whole grain breads. I immediately double bag and remove as much air as possible, not to squish the bread, and store it in the freezer. Thawing in the sun, it tastes bakery fresh. Our local Wally World puts out a cart several times a week with specialty breads half price. We also buy from a dollar store for less than half price. Even better, one of our local grocers donates their out dated bakery items to Salvation Army. Twice a week I can pick up 2 items for FREE.

We may not always have bread available for purchase, so learn how to make it yourself. Traditional breads can be made on grills or over a fire. Native American Fry Bread or a slightly different version we grew up with called "Hoe Cake" are 2 easy breads with minimal ingredients and simple preparation.

Many years ago, we were at a Pow-wow. For some reason my sister and a friend who grew up on a reservation were comparing how poor they were growing up. He commented the only bread they had was fry bread. She responded that hoe cake is basically the same, but baked. When our Mother made that, it was Dessert!

These time tested recipes are Treasures! Minimal resources required and a little can be spread to keep us all healthy.

Dried Beans in glass containers are NOT just a decorative element for your kitchen! Beans are one of Mother Nature's Wonder Foods and have been cultivated for thousands of years. If stored correctly, dried beans will last a long, long time. They've been found on archeology digs! But as my husband just commented, the key is in the preparation. He doesn't like crunchy beans in his chili. They need to be soaked and slow cooked. Learn how and gather recipes. Beans are like bread, a little can go a long way. They are rich in complex carbohydrates (the good ones) and trace minerals.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
In an earlier post I mentioned the "Trifecta" of Vinegar, Baking Soda, and Epsom Salt. Here are a few websites which list their numerous uses. Some are health/first aid related. If you have any medical conditions, please consult your doctor before use.

Vinegar - There is a reason this stuff has been around a few millenia or so. These websites will astound you with its versatility. Don't forget to copy/paste and add the www's.

versatilevinegar.org

vinegarbook.net (This is a FREE book download)

Baking Soda - Not just for the Fridge or a home made cake. Adding a little to beans increases their digestability.

thefarm.org/charities/i4at/lib2/60soda.htm

lifehackery.com/2008/07/22/home-4

Epsom Salt also has many practical health, gardening, and first aid applications. Here's a good website with a lot of information.

saltworks.us/salt_info/epsom-uses-benefits.asp

These items have extended shelf lives, multiple uses, and are an important part of any household inventory.

The internet is truly an asset for us to gather information. But we can't simply "bookmark" the websites and leave it at that. When the lights go out, so does the internet. Unless you have a photographic memory, this information needs to be in an easily accessible format. While we're gathering and learning, why not make your own "Survival Manual." A journal or binder of some type could prove a life saver for you and your family. It only takes a little time, printer ink and paper, and could be of immense value down the road.

Last edited by lcp012586; 09/12/10 08:48 PM.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Most Southerners have a good sense of humor and don't mind laughing at ourselves. I received the cutest email the other day about 2 versatile items you should consider including in your supplies.

If it doesn't move and needs to - Use the WD40
Check out their website (wd40.com). There are 2000+ uses!

If it moves and doesn't need to - Use the Duct Tape!
If you grew up in the South or the country, you already know Duct Tape is a must have in every vehicle of every type and every tool box. We even have contests for making clothing with it and that includes bathing suits!

For more creative uses for this "fix-all," you will enjoy the humorous list at thezac.com/ducttape
This list is rated PG-13. I must admit, I can vouch for at least 10 uses on the list!

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Well, I can't tell you how much a sense of humor is in all of, well everything, really.

Depression, anxiousness about the future, children, uncertainty...we're all pretty much experiencing the same things, but at different times between distractions.

I know you will be busy here in the near future and if you happen to need anything, even a helping pm'ing hand...always here smile

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16

Moderated by  Elleise - Clairvoyance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.