Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Shelter is also a basic for survival. In a broader sense, it includes clothing. If your safe place is in a different climate, you need to consider what type of clothing you'll need while there. For most of us our safe place will be close enough not to have different weather conditions. However, if you live in a lower area and your safe place is in the hills or mountains, prepare accordingly.

If you need to evacuate, dress in layers and protect your feet with sturdy shoes and socks. If you don't need this protection during the evacuation, you may need it afterwards. Forget the flip-flops!

Shelter can be constructed with almost anything, from a piece of plastic to tree limbs and brush. If you find yourself out in nature with no shelter, here's a few tips that could be useful.

Avoid sleeping directly on the ground at night. Even with a fire and clothes on, the ground cools and will suck body heat from you. Do like the other animals, make a bed of something for insulation. However, your insulation may have unwelcomed bed fellows. "Smoke" it thoroughly near the fire and they will flee the heat and smoke. I watched an episode of Survivor Man filmed fairly close to my home. A cold front came through and he spent the first night shivering. Don't know why he didn't notice the weather change approaching. He insulated his little hut with spanish moss for the next night. They didn't show him "smoking" the moss over his fire. If he didn't, he went home EAT UP with chiggers/redbugs!

Get a Boy Scout manual, or look on-line and learn how to make a shelter with local, nature provided materials. Most kids love to build "Forts," and this could be a fun learning experience for everyone. If you goof it up, figure out what was done wrong and work together to fix it. Troubleshooting skills like this will be needed, and also need to be taught and passed on.

If you find yourself in a bug infested area, use dirt or mud to cover your exposed skin. It won't be pretty, but can keep the skeeters away. I've heard from numerous sources, over the years, mosquitoes are more attracted to dark colors. However, a thin layer of dirt or mud camouflages our bare skin somehow.

On a recent episode of Swamp People, they said fat from alligators is so nasty, the Native Americans used it for bug repellant. Not recommending hunting alligators, but that could be a handy bit of info for my area.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Here are a few websites with supplies and tips worth reading.

surviveandthrivesupply.com
This company carries a small selection of supplies, from camping knives to water purification tablets. But they have a nice selection of seeds, packaged in a triple layer mylar bag with a shelf life of up to 5 years. These are "renewable" seeds. The plants produce seeds which can be harvested for the next growing season. The prices average $2 a pack. That's the same price I paid for organic seeds at a home supply store this spring. I haven't ordered from this company, but I am considering it.

wilderness-survival-skills.com
This site is awesome and has tips and comments submitted by those who use them. From building a fire (forgive my spelling, it's tinder, not tender) to all kinds of shelters, even book reviews. One comment suggested shopping thrift stores to obtain camping/survival supplies affordably. That one peaked my interest, I love to go junkin"
Good stuff on this one, way too much for me to even touch on in a post.

wilderness-survival.net
Even though the name is wilderness survival, this website has tips and information for various crises and disasters. It also includes the FEMA Guide on preparations. I read through to see if there was anything to add to the pamplet I'm doing up for work. This amazes me, despite what was experienced after Katrina, and Ike, FEMA still recommends preparing for "at least 3 days." 3 days is better than nothing, but preparing for 7 to 10 days is much more realistic, although harder for many.

Does anyone have other informative sources to share? I think Bella has a rule against asking readers to join other forums. Elleise, please correct me and provide some guidance here.

*Disclaimer* Some of the websites I've mentioned have forums. I haven't joined or read through these forums, and I'm not asking anyone to. I'm referring these websites based on the general content only, which is available to all viewers.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Are you Ready? An In-depth Guide to Citizen Preparedness.
This is FEMA's "book," available for download in pdf format. The full version is 204 pages and 21MB, so don't hit the print button accidentally. They also have some DVD's and other brochures. I've read through a few of these, and I will not comment on government excess, except to say they must be paying the authors by the word.

If you can make it through the wordiness and "governmentese" there is actually some good information. When you have an hour or two, a pot of coffee and a comfy chair, the website is

fema.gov/areyouready

It took about 10 minutes to download the full version and save to my desktop. Now I can finish it at my leisure.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Thank you for researching these sources. It's something i would have a very difficult time doing. You really are that go to gal, that gets the tough stuff done!

Btw, you're fine with what you're posting and it's more than resourceful that there's a central location where people can come, even if they may not feel the need right this second, at least in the back of their mind they may go, you know...i read something somewhere, and it's there when they do need it.

If you want, I can go back in and try to make links of the web addresses you've posted.

Let me know if that's o.k.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
That would be great and add convenience. I've been to these websites and have not experienced any computer issues. However I personally prefer not to use links and go directly to the website. I've gotten 3 trojans on my computer this year from links. At $90 a pop to clean, I can't afford to risk using them.

I know it's a little extra to copy/paste or re-type, but it's much safer and I wouldn't want to impose on your time.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
How much do you REALLY know about nutrition? Our bodies can go many days without food, but only 2 or 3 without water. Short-term, a few days, a few weeks, we can scavenge and make it through, but what about longer?

What do our bodies require long-term to sustain growth and promote health? Everyone knows we need calories, the fuel for our bodies. But with all the nutrition information available, many still equate calories to sugar. That's accurate, but not quite. Being diabetic, learning about food was mandatory. The important source of calories is carbohydrates.

When you eat a candy bar you can get a sugar rush. That's instant fuel and the body uses or stores it quickly. When you eat a bowl of oatmeal, something made with whole grains, it has to be digested. The carbohydrates are converted to sugar slowly and evenly. The energy from a bowl of oatmeal, or piece of whole grain bread lasts much longer than the energy from something with processed sugars like a candy bar.

For development in children and overall health for adults, we also need trace minerals. Natural foods, not processed, rich in carbohydrates, such as beans, fruits and berries, contain the trace minerals from the soil they grew in. Ever wonder why they add vitamins and minerals to flour, white bread, breakfast cereal? All the processing strips them away. What they add back is not from the original, natural source and I wonder how much we actually absorb.

We also require protein, but not nearly as much as we typically eat. Those who choose not to eat any animal products, must supplement their diet with protein sources, such as soy, beans, nuts.

Calcium, this is a mineral that deserves special mention. Did you know that EVERY CELL in your body needs calcium to function? If it doesn't get enough, calcium is leached from the bones.

Several years ago I had a major health crisis. Everything the doctors did/prescribed made it worse. I finally found a Dr/Chiropractor/Bio-chemist who realized I didn't produce enough stomach acid to digest food. I didn't look it, but I was malnourished and this caused my illness. After taking the acid supplements, my stomach produced more, as predicted. I was taking 10 natural supplements, but the best was calcium. As soon as that was replenished and maintained, I got better quickly.

Calcium is so important. It's not only high in dairy products, but several greens, i.e. collards, broccoli. Thousands of years ago the maize/corn grown by the people in the Americas was not easily digested, and therefore not nutritional. Somehow, they figured out to add crushed shells to the cornmeal. This addition made the vitamins and minerals more digestable and beneficial. What was in the seashells? Among other things, Calcium.

If the time comes when we must provide for ourselves and truly live off the land, the knowledge of the Ancestors, combined with modern science will be invaluable. Reclaim it, learn it, share it. Use it to plan and grow a nutritionally balanced garden, or as the basis of your grocery list. If we start now to wean ourselves off the processed food and junk so readily available, we'll not only be healthier, but also more prepared for when/if these foods are not available. We can still treat and indulge ourselves, just less frequently.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I don't have room for a garden. I don't have access to fresh foods. Are you sure?

We have a very small lot and most of it is deeply shaded. But there are a few spots for potted plants and small garden beds. My neighbor has a much larger yard and also grows indoors with plant lights in a spare room.

One thing to remember when growing indoors which has been scientifically proven, plants need sleep, just like we do. Don't leave the lights on 24/7. It's stressful on the plants.

If you don't have any space, are there community gardens in your area? These co-ops have experienced gardeners, most will be eager to barter knowledge for a little labor. In an hour or two with a good teacher, you can a lot while picking beans, pulling weeds, or setting out mulch. You might even return home with enough for supper.

Don't have a local community garden or co-op? How about a local Farmer's Market? These are popping up all over the place. You can talk with the growers, learn their methods, and establish a relationship as a frequent customer.

Those who know how to grow food are generally generous, down-to-earth people (pun intended). They may not share all their secrets, but are willing to help those who want to learn, with good intentions.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Originally Posted By: lcp012586

If the time comes when we must provide for ourselves and truly live off the land, the knowledge of the Ancestors, combined with modern science will be invaluable.

That's the perfect statement lcp. There's a bio-chemical equation and so often we'll jump in the car and pick something up when we're feeling poorly.

Instinctively, I feel myself pulling further and further away from synthetic drugs and office visits and try more to understand my own personal reactions to the day to day, ie, when I'm feeling tired, what excercise, different types of vegetables and herbs do 40 minutes after I take them, and I've found interesting things.

I actually get tired, right after I eat something. When I have cravings, and I look back on what I have or haven't eaten, I find that those crvings are actually my body telling me I haven't had somehting in awhile that I need.

I was watching Man vs. the Wild the other night and I would never have known this, but if you haven't eaten or had anything to drink in awhile, if you come upon food, don't eat but for a little bit. It further dehydrates your already dehydrated body. Just eat enough until you can find a water source.

I didn't know that about the links either, viruses, ect. So, lets just keep it the way it is. It's good to kow. Thanks again for all your hard work. I know I for one am learning quite a lot! smile

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Multi-purpose items are so valuable in any crisis. Here's a short list of things you may already have and some uses you may not have considered.

Storage Bags - I'm referring to the heavier plastic or mylar type, such as freezer bags, and waterproof, larger storage bags. Freezer bags can be reused safely a few times, if washed thoroughly and air dried between each use. When my nephew was quarantined prior to heart surgery, my sister asked his cardiologist about this specifically. These bags provide weather/water resistance and can fit in small spaces. Roll or flatten before sealing to remove air and there's room for even more. Boaters use them to keep spare clothes dry. Soldiers use them to keep items/food free of dirt/sand. When my daughter was young, I carried a damp washcloth in a quart freezer bag for quick clean ups. I had a friend who spent 3 months traveling rural China. Upon returning commented she would loved to have had some.

Cheap, Plain Bars of Soap - Is there anything that can't be washed with plain soap? I recently read there's nothing significantly better. Despite all the anti-bacterial, anti-viral products available, a thorough wash with plain soap is all we really need, unless rendering first aid or doing surgery. Bar soap will last longer if it's allowed to air dry and harden after purchasing. Open the package and let it sit for a few days.

Plastic and Leather Work Gloves - In a crisis, we really need to protect our hands. Small cuts can get infected, and if untreated, cause illness and death. We may be doing strenuous, possibly unfamiliar activities, our hands will need protection. This is particularly important if you will be hunting small game. There is a reason squirrel, raccoon, possum and rabbit should be hunted and eaten ONLY in the colder months that have an "R" in the name (September through April). These animals have parasites deadly to humans. These parasites and their larvae can also be in the animal's scat (feces). The larvae are tiny, and if on our hands and we touch our mouth, eyes, ears, nose, or bare skin, we can endanger ourselves. This is especially important to teach children. When out in the woods, DO NOT touch your face except with cleaned/washed hands.

Lawn and Leaf Bags - These are thicker/stonger than regular trash bags. Cut 3 holes and you have a raincoat. Split the side seams and it's big enough to make a dry bed on wet ground, or a small cover for shelter. We keep a lawn/leaf bag in with each of our "bag" chairs. If we're at an event and it rains, we can quickly cover the chairs to keep them dry, or ourselves.

Quality Multi-purpose, Camping, Survival Tool/Knife - In an emergency, grabbing your kitchen knives or a tool box probably won't come to mind. One of these in your "Bug-Out" bag and you're set for many needs. Save up for a quality name brand one, don't bother with the cheap "knock-offs."

Epson Salt, Baking Soda and Vinegar - These are the "Trifecta" of First Aid/Health/Cleaning. Epson Salt helps with constipation, infections in small wounds, in the garden. Baking soda can be used for baking, insect bites, indigestion and deodorizing. Vinegar can be used to preserve food, clean, sooth the pain of burns, treat bruises and drinking a small amount each day is reported to be good for overall health. There are SO MANY uses for these 3 things.

I know I'm missing multi-purpose things here. Please add to the list!

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I think I read somewhere, glowsticks are a good substitute or back up incase you run out of batteries or rechargeables aren't taking anymore.

Also, Bic lighters and flint stones are better than matches. Dental floss, works for many make shift projects, twine, cheese cloth or netting of some type, hose possibly for straining or filtering. Shovel, small ax, bucket a set of stones, enough to encapsulate a fire if not more to retain heat.

Sunscreen...Im sure there's more but this is all I have right now.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16

Moderated by  Elleise - Clairvoyance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.