logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#613561 07/29/10 10:57 AM
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
For those of you who do not subscribe to the newsletter, I thought I would share the announcement I made this morning here on the forums.

With fall quickly approaching, I am going to take the site in a different direction for a little while. Since 2004, I have
participated in what many of you may know about, National Novel Writing Month or NaNoWriMo. For those of you not familiar with NaNoWriMo, for the whole month of November you madly write a 50,000 word or more novel. Yes, it sounds crazy, yes it sounds impossible, but it is totally doable. I have finished 2 novels and have 1 more almost finished because of this writing challenge. All of my attempts have been within the Women's Lit genre. Would you like to know more about National Novel Writing Month? Take a look at their website. Sign ups begin the first of October. http://www.nanowrimo.org

To start things off, I am currently reading The Marshall Plan� for Novel Writing and will post my review shortly. There is also software that goes with this book that I am hoping to review as well for your writing pleasure! Here is a great
informative article from the authors of The Marshall Plan� for Novel Writing about getting an agent for your work.

Agent Secrets: Want to Land an Agent? Follow These Guidelines
By Even Marshall and Martha Jewett,
Creators of The Marshall Plan � Novel Writing Software

"If you want to get a novel published, you need an agent."

True enough, but it's better to get the right agent. Here's how.

Use the Internet to find agents who are right for you. Six helpful sites are:

1. Agent Query.com bills itself as "the internet's largest and most current database of literary agents." Click on Full Search, then specify details such as genre and whether the agent is seeking new clients. Search results include not
only basic contact information but also specifics on what the agent is looking for and, often, examples of recent deals. The site also offers articles on working with agents and resources such as writing websites and conferences.

2. QueryTracker.net boasts a database of more than 1,300 agents and offers a detailed advanced search feature including specific genres.

3. The Association of Authors' Representatives requires members to adhere to a strict Canon of Ethics, so you know any member is legitimate (some perfectly legitimate agents do not belong). Click on Find an Agent to see which agents
accept email submissions and which accept submissions via regular mail. Keyword Search and Advanced Search features are also available.

4. A $20 month-to-month subscription to Publishers Marketplace gives you access to an extensive searchable database of agents and their deals. A feature called Top Dealmakers tells you which agents make the most sales in a given genre. Another feature, Who Represents, allows you to find out who represents writers of books like yours.

5. Check an agent's reputation at Preditors & Editors http://pred-ed.com/, a website that keeps an updated list of agents according to whether they're reputable or not. Click on Agents & Attorneys, then look up the name alphabetically.

6. Finally, stop off at the Agents page of Writer Beware http://www.sfwa.org/for-authors/writer-beware/agents/,
which has helpful articles on how to spot and avoid dishonest agents.

Google agents you're interested in to see if they have their own websites. You'll usually find submission guidelines.

Now it's time to approach agents. Have these items ready before you begin:

Complete manuscript. If you haven't published a novel, submit a complete manuscript rather than a "proposal" (synopsis and sample chapters). If you have had a novel published by a commercial publisher, it's OK to send a proposal.

Synopsis. The synopsis is a condensed overview of your novel which helps agents, editors and other publishing personnel evaluate it. Use the present tense and write one page for every 25 pages of manuscript. Tell the entire story, including the ending.

Query letter. A query letter is a one-page business letter. It briefly describes your novel (one paragraph) and specifies genre, title and word length. Provide relevant information about yourself: publishing credits, writers' organizations
you belong to, writing awards or citations, and any pertinent background (for example, you're a surgeon and your novel is a medical thriller). Be professional, never cutesy. Ask if the agent would like to read your manuscript.

Follow all the agent's specifications and instructions exactly (query, self-addressed stamped envelope, etc.).

If an agent bites, include your original query letter with your manuscript, along with a self-addressed stamped envelope for a reply.

If the agent takes you on, yipee!

And if the agent rejects you?

Don't take it personally. It may have nothing to do with your material. The agent may not be accepting unpublished writers or new clients unless they are exceptional, but may not have said so because if he did, submissions would drop off. Another possibility is that she may already represent a novel too similar to yours but does not want to divulge that.

The "no," however, may have everything to do with your material. Here are five of the most common situations you must avoid:

1. Derivative story idea. You must come up with something fresh within the expectations of your chosen genre.

2. No recognizable genre. Your book must have a genre, an obvious place on a shelf in the bookstores, and a clear comparison to books in the genre.

3. Wrong word length. Picking the wrong word length is a novice's mistake. A 50,000-word mainstream novel is an immediate reject. So is a 175,000-word romantic comedy. Do your homework. Find the appropriate word length for your
novel.

4. Grammatical and other problems. These are sudden-death errors: spelling, grammar, punctuation, improper manuscript formatting.

5. Writing that tells rather than shows. Novels today are mostly "show." If you're not sure what "show" and "tell" mean, consult any novel-writing guide or take a fiction course.

Follow these guidelines and eventually you will find an agent who understands and appreciates your work -- and who will be able to sell it.

All you need is one.

� 2010 Even Marshall and Martha Jewett, creators of The Marshall Plan � Novel
Writing Software

Author Bio
Evan Marshall and Martha Jewett are the creators of The Marshall Plan� Novel Writing Software, an adaptation of the bestselling Marshall Plan� series of writing guides. Evan is an internationally recognized expert on fiction writing and author of the Hidden Manhattan and Jane Stuart and Winky mystery series. A former book editor, for 27 years he has been a leading literary agent specializing in fiction. He is the president of The Evan Marshall Agency, a leading literary management firm that represents a number of New York Times and
USA Today bestselling authors. Martha is a former award-winning business book editor at McGraw-Hill, John Wiley & Sons, and HarperBusiness. She is currently a literary agent and editorial consultant specializing in business books. An avid memoirist, she blogs at www.writeyourmemoir.com.

For more information, please visit writeanovelfast.com and follow the authors on Facebook and Twitter.

Jeanette Stingley - Women's Lit
http://womenslit.bellaonline.com
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
Great info! I'm glad you brought it up now. I think I'm going to attempt the NaNoWriMo thing this year.

Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Sara - I am going to make threads here just for NaNoWriMo once the sign ups get underway and over the next 2 months I am going to be posting articles in relation to writing because literature is more then just reading, we have to have writers to read!!

Gecko
Gecko
I'm very glad you're doing that (the threads for NaNoWriMo) because last year I totally forgot about it until it was well underway. I wrote on my own, but didn't have the nudge I needed by a commitment.

Yay You!!

I am already excited about this year's NaNoWriMo. In 2007 and 2008, I observed the experience. In 2009, I participated and what an exciting time I shared with my community of writers online and offline (in my city). I only halfway completed the 50,000 words but for me that was super amazing. I did that without an outline, which I do not recommend unless that is your creative preference. My advice to first timers to NaNoWriMo is: have an outline and definitely know what your ending will be. During NaNoWriMo it is terribly difficult to think, plot and plan your story because you loss valuable time that could be used for actual writing. Do it, try it and enjoy the experience.

Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
mahunter - my first thread starting next month is going to be adivce for NaNo newbies and I would love for you to come in and give advice!

I have finished 1 novel and I am working on 2 and i got a spark for an idea for NaNoWriMo story idea already! I never outline, never. I have tried but it seems so tedious and useless to me. I just sit in front of the blank screen and start to write and the words just flow out for the first draft. Usually once I get going, it is hard for me to stop lol One novel I am working on, I have had to go back and write chapter summaries for what i have written now and this will spark more ideas for future chapters and also hellp me keep pace of where i am at. But to me, outlining seems pointless because my stories evolve so much.

Let me know how I can help. First thing I would recommend to you interested writers is to read the book written by the creator of NaNoWriMo before November. It was hard to get at my local library (long reserve list). But it was under $10 on Amazon.com. The book helps to put you in the right frame of mind, will inform you as to exactly what to expect during the 30 days of pure writing and it will get you motivated to get started. I look forward to November. I am armed (with an outline) and ready. ;)

L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
Last year was my first year to participate and I started half way through November. I'm excited to see you will be discussing NaNoMo here!

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
This is great! I have thought about participating in the past, even though I consider myself more of a nonfiction writer, just because I thought it might open me up creatively, and improve my overall writing. Maybe I will give it a go this year. In any case, I think it is a fantastic idea to take the Women's Lit site in this direction for it...

Lisa Erickson, Buddhism Editor
Buddhism Site
Teaching and Private Session Website: Enlightened Energetics
Blog: Mommy Mystic
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Oooh, is it too late to get in on this excitement? I would LOVE to participate with other people who were also doing this.

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

Moderated by  Jeanette - Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.