Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I love affirmations!

They are like a cool breeze after a workout. Last night my husband had an epiphany hearing about the racial incident with the dept. of agriculture.

I said, "The feeling I get is that they end up taking it back." I hadn't expected it this soon though.

The problem with a household of narcissists is that they may come together with a common foundation, but each one will have the innate and naricissistic view that they and they alone are right.

White house appologizes

Last edited by Eleise - Clairvoyance; 07/21/10 04:40 PM.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Parakeet
Parakeet
I saw this, too. I saw the clip where she admitted that she had not helped a white man the way she could have.

Then I went to YouTube and watched the "FULL" video of her speech, as posted by the NAACP. I wanted to see the uncut context of her speech. I decided to be completely unbiased, and was seeing, at first, that she may have had good intentions, as she was talking about how it wasn't about race, but about people in need. But, then my hubby and I noticed, at exactly 21 minutes, there was a section edited out when she was talking about the white man she was helping. As it cut back in, the NAACP members were laughing. After that, it was only about black issues, and blacks helping blacks. Which isn't a horrible thing...

...But, then I was struck by the fact that she is not a member of the NAACP. She is the head of the USDA Urban Development. Why is she standing before the NAACP talking about black issues? Does this strike anyone else as odd?

What was edited out by the NAACP? Has anyone else noticed that this isn't a "Full" video? I just don't have a good feeling about this...

NAACP FULL Video of Shirley Sherrod's Speech

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
What bothered me the most was her use of the term "his kind" in referring the white farmer to a white lawyer. She had just pointed out her "turning point" realizing it was not about race in this situation. Apparently, her "turning point" 24 years ago wasn't quite far enough to eliminate her using a disparaging term like that, just months ago.

It makes me wonder how many others she only "did enough" for prior to and even after this turning point, simply because they appeared to talk down to her or were of another race.

Having dealt with various government agencies, state and federal for over 20 years, this is something I ran into way too much. Most times I could say something to make them smile and then receive help. Other times, I just had to hang up and call again, knowing I would not get the same person.

In the tax industry this is commonly referred to as "the Atlanta Syndrome," doing just enough to get their paycheck and nothing more. Perhaps it's not a coincedence where Mrs. Sherrod works.

Yes, the administration should not have jumped to conclusions on this. But they have jumped so many times over the last year, I think someone gave them a rope. Mrs. Sherrod was speaking to "her kind" and the rest of the speech available is much more revealing than the "turning point" story.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I don't really have a good feeling about this either. My husband, at first, felt great that at least they were calling out racial profiling, but you know that feeling you get when you're about to get dumped or you're called in unexpectedly to HR and it's like a punch in the stomach? That's what I get with this.

Of all the things that aren't being talked about, of all the issues being swept under the rug, this person is so far down on the food chain yet knee jerk reaction, "Get out..woops we made a mistake?"

Once she gets her barings, I suspect shell have whatever she wants out of this. Most likely a different position.

I asked my husband to pull up the video for me lastnight and there are two clips I guess. In one she's talking about how she used to be racist and now it's about the haves vs. the have nots. In the other she's all about how this white farmer was being all superior to her...(I think she said that phrase twice in 10 sec.) and here she was being the one he was coming to for help. She also uses the term, "his kind/his own kind" afterwards...after her revelation. So, I'm not buying the whole reformed outlook thing.

There's more here than what's being spoken about. I don't feel she should have been fired. The reaction was so quick too and there have been worse things said in the administration than this where people should have been removed and even questioned as to how they were appointed and why in the first place. This was just so insignificant compared to larger issues.

Aslo, don't you need a fair trial to get all of the facts? Was this some type of experiment in due process and/or where the people stand socially/racially?

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Parakeet
Parakeet
I agree. She is not reformed at all, but I feel that she thinks she is, because she can recognize that some whites (a kind different than her kind) suffer, too. To her ego, she has evolved to a higher place. In reality, she has only taken a tiny baby-step.

This situation is so loaded, it's hard to know what direction to look in...or what trigger finger is ready to fire... It's like somebody is trying to prove that racism is not tolerated, yet it's clear that it's really favorable toward blacks being racist against whites (a taboo subject, yet so blatantly flaunted)...but then again, let's test the waters...what would happen if she were fired... I feel that so much is going on, hiding in plain sight...and something very scary is looming in the near future.

BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
It could also be - this is out there, but because race is a hot topic, it's not of course, we're all united...but someone who might have an introspective account, on the inside and understand just how much racism can stir things up, could in fact be doing so while something else is going on; a distraction while works transpire behind the bigger curtain?

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I also agree with what you pick up on the epiphany, I guess you'd call it.

It is something, I don't even think she knew just how huge her perceptions were going to play a part in her life. You're right, it is a baby step and this can be hard for anyone...like when you do something by accident and you get a huge response? You're not quite solid with what you did, but you keep recreating it as best as you can because you can see how much it is favored and people are noticing you.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Parakeet
Parakeet
Yes...you get a huge response from others...but you also give yourself way too much credit for a small step you've made. It's like you've just learned long division, but your ego gets so pumped up that it convinces you that you are a mathematical genious...and you believe it. So you go to a remedial math convention and speak about long division, and they believe that you are a genius, too. But people who know a little about algebra and grammar are scratching their heads, while watching the whole thing...because even your long division has flaws in it...and on top of that you are putting people down who are more focused on grammar...because some sicko who was a grammar freak killed your father. And grammar freaks before that enslaved your ancestors, long ago. She has a painful story, it's true. She has wounds to heal. We all do. But lets not make claims that we have completely healed when our hurt and anger still run deep.

I don't believe that she should have been fired based on the clip that originally surfaced...but I do believe that she should be fired now. She clearly has an agenda that conflicts with her job, and affects her job performance. She needs more education. If a white person with her job, who's father was killed by a black man were to stand before a white rights group and referred to blacks as "their own kind" they would be shamed and fired... and rightly so. Racism is a menace, especially when it's denied, yet clearly visible!

I wish that we were all united...but we aren't. People can only push down their true feelings for so long -- eventually they will bubble up to the surface. Truth is a funny thing. If the truth is ugly, we are free to call it a lie. If a lie is prettier than the truth, we are free to call it truth. We can say one and do the other...and still call it the truth. I don't know why races try to overpower each other...I wasn't brought up that way. But I was thrown into the thick of the result of its history, and can see that it is a nightmare we won't ever wake up from...its malignancy runs deeper than the group is willing to reach.

But that has to be okay. It has to because it's the truth.

Last edited by Shannon L. Wolf; 07/23/10 10:19 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
That should be a book all of it's own. The coming of truth for all people evolves, isn't forced. It's personal how long or short it takes in coming around.

With racial issues I live it here day in and day out. The black community here stares and squints their eyes at you. They do it to you, not the other way around. If you were to ask anyone of them what happened to them in their past that makes them so angry...you get, "Shut the...up." and they walk away in general. If you ask and someone does answer you, after they first tell you you don't know what you're talking about, if you don't react and really ask to be enlightened, basically, they'll go on and on and on and my GOSH on and on about something that happened like 100 years ago, not to them, but feel it necessary to bring the hate and the anger into current times. I carry around EXTRA strength Tylenal for those days.

Yesterday my husband was walking home from work at 1:00 am and a black guy cornered him and said, "Hey little (bad word) you like it when (bad verb)." The cops came and the words he used..."IT's cause I black miffer, muffer,(creative translation)..." My...!" It's because you were a jerk and very misguided about what is and isn't appropriate, black or not. Jerk first, black secondary.

Thank goodness here there is more than just black and white. We have all sorts of different races. The cultures are really beautiful. The Hispanics are cautious but gracious. I suspect they may not all be here legally but they at least try and smile and will even bring you something like tomales after they get to know you.

The races are blending but for this one area. People are very tired, not just white, other races are beginning to get the anger movement and they don't like it.

One fellow said, "We Asians don't riot. If we did we'd get a lot further. But why be angry all the time."

He helps his mother at the Farmer's market growing organic fruits and vegetables. That is true evolutions It's real and something people can and will use. Anger is self-serving and diminishes quickly.

In regards to this woman being scrutinized, well she couldn't have gotten into the whitehouse without other people knowing her agenda first hand. I have to wonder who leaked this video in the first place. Everything in me feels this thing is like a pinata. Something on the outside filled with something, maybe a lot of somethings on the inside and a party at someone elses expense. She doesn't feel genuine to me. I'd like it to be true though.

There's an alterior motive here, maybe even a trick of some kind directed at something completely different than what we're privy to.

Last edited by Eleise - Clairvoyance; 07/24/10 01:25 AM.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Parakeet
Parakeet
I'm sorry about what happened to your husband -- there seems to be this entitlement-to-terrorize thing expanding in the black culture. And I feel that the pi�ata you described so well is filled with such related things. On the outside, it's the array of political games -- the distracting banter, the confusing polar opposites...on the inside, the brewing synopsis of the okayness of black hatred toward whites...ultimately leading to the riots and mayhem we are being set up for.

Some might say that whites have had it coming...and maybe we do, as a race, not necessarily as deserving individuals. Perhaps we have accrued some real bad karma, through our historical treatment of blacks, Native Americans, Chinese and other cultures that we have invaded upon, destroyed, enslaved and refused to help. Native American prophets agree that our time as leaders is coming to an end...their warnings have been strong and steady for a very long time. As a culture, we have ignored and abused Mother Earth. Even if we do our best as individuals to conserve, recycle and reuse...we still, just being a part of Western ways, are very destructive. Our governmental system uses us and sets us up as pawns in their ultimate game and we end up paying the costs, like it or not. Our government pumps out the propaganda that we are superior and other nations are sick and evil...yet our government does the very same things that other cultures are "evil" for. They are just more sly about it. We are bound to implode...we need to be aware; prepared, but not panic.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Elleise - Clairvoyance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.