Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Since 1969 was 41 years ago today, if you are younger than that--or not many years older--I guess this question isn't for you.

I was in Salerno, Italy and having never been out of the USA before, was more excited about that than NASA's going to the Moon. But the Moon mission was what everyone was talking about. These days I could answer a lot of people's questions, but then I wasn't any help.

Anyone who didn't have a television was making sure they'd somewhere that did in order to watch the landing. It was a big social event. The whole front page of the newspapers the next day were dedicated to the story.

So, BellaOnline Readers, where were you when Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin were the first people to set foot on another world?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
I was pregnant with my 3rd child, lying on the couch, feeling quesy from all-day sickness, watching the landing on tv. I'll never forget it - literally out of this world!

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
It was a Sunday & the first day of my very first Boy Scout week-long resident camp; at Camp Tahosa, west of Boulder, Colorado. We (the whole camp participants) were crammed into a dining hall watching a wallmounted 21" B&W TV & delayed the opening campfire/evening program.

The Eagle had landed & 2 years later I became an Eagle Scout.

Last edited by Beetlemess; 07/20/10 12:16 PM.

-B-
"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children."
J
Koala
Koala
J
I watched it on TV. I was getting ready to leave for Navy boot camp just a couple weeks later. Quite an event!

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Oh Susan, I can imagine that it was memorable on all fronts. Everyone I've asked who's old enough seems to remember something about that day, even one who wasn't interested enough to watch. I guess your offspring is also able to claim some connection with the historic moment.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
JoanJ, thanks for sharing.

It was a great event and I was impressed with all the material that was collected for last year's anniversary. But decided not to go through the whole event all over again, as offered on one website!

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Beetlemess, when you wrote about your Apollo-Boy Scout connection, I was reminded of Michael Collins's book. He said that most of the astronauts had been Boy Scouts. (He was an exception.) And well, well, Eagle Scout, huh?

Tiger
Tiger
Hey, Mona I was age 11 that year so I probably was outside playing or at the Discovery Beach back in Jamaica, West Indies = love to swim. Back then we were lucky to have a "black & white" TV and if you did, you had ONE channel that operated part of the day or night = not the 24 hours we have now(lol). Great post - made alot of us think.....

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human

July 20 is the 45th anniversary of the first manned Moon landing. Buzz Aldrin asks where *you* were when Apollo 11 landed on the Moon. Use #Apollo45 to share your story on the special Youtube page or your social media. Find out more here.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I remembered that some of us answered Aldrin's question several years ago - before he even asked, we're always helpful at Bellaonline! So I've merged that topic with this new one.

So where were *you* when the first humans stepped out on the Moon? The hashtag for social media is #Apollo45, but you don't need that for this forum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.