Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
S
Okay, here is what I think. The problem in building a mosque at Ground Zero is not that it's a mosque. It's not that it has to do with Islam. A mosque, like a church, has the right to be built. Islam, like Christianity, is a religious right...however it seems to make no sense to build one where tragedy took the lives of so many Americans. Like it or not, it is associated with Islam extremism.

We have to think about the point in building one right there. Who gets something out of that? The radical terrorists who hate America. This would bring them complete joy. Meanwhile the surviving family members of 9/11 are left to feel that their loved ones are not being given the respect they deserve. What do others think?

Stephanie Romero
Independent Parties
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
Wasn't there a mosque in that area when the Twin Towers were destroyed? If so, I say rebuild it. I do understand why people would be upset by the notion, however tThe 911 plotters, although they were Muslim, are not true Muslims - they are radical terrorists. It would be like identifying Jim Jones or David Koresh with Christianity.

BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I hadn't heard anything about this. A mosque? Interesting, not that it's being built, but why is that what's out there?

I know waht I feel, but i've not looked into this. But, let's just say that the US is broke...not saying it is of course, but le'ts pretend. It's not in the headlines so using the imagination, let's say the US needs, mmmm - financing from "outside" resources. Let's say quite possibly, it's like Ebay and it's out there for people to maybe make bids on if they want their mark to be made - haven't any idea where this is going - but a mosque, specifically if that's what's being advertised in the headlines as what is being built...

Well, if we're all about unity, let's put every religious foot hold near and around that area.

It's interesting to see how much the US is supposed to to make allowences, yet if this was a different country, how long do you think you'd have to hold your breath to have something of the US buildt as a landmark if in fact some extremist from the US was responsible?

PS - I delivered with my husband, ironically, a half a dozen airconditioning units for the 13th floor while we were on the road, so this has a connection with me. They took photos of it and everything.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
The building in question is an Islamic community center to be built several blocks away from Ground Zero. Not exactly on that hallowed ground. Google "Mosque on Ground Zero" and find all sorts of articles pro and con.
My thinking is that if a religious group buys a piece of property in a legal and open sale, and builds something that will benefit the community, what's wrong with that?

S
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
S
The question is respect...out of respect for the families who lost someone on 9/11 would it not make sense to put their feelings first? Religious freedom is important, as that is what makes our country. However, where does respect fit in?

Stephanie Romero
Independent Parties
Amoeba
Amoeba
The site for the tragic loss of our fellow citizens was named "Ground Zero", a place to start over and raise up the memory of the victims and give their families some sense of peace/closure.

This mosque is going to be built very near where our citizens were killed by Islamic extremists on 9/11.

The official start date for building this mosque is 9/11/2011.

I can fully understand and empathize with the families of the victims and the people of New York who were terrorized.

Walk in Beauty and Harmony.
Phyllis-Folklore and Mythology
Folklore and Mythology Site
Folklore/Mythology Forum

Spiritual Coaching
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I find that really strange. Really odd that the idea, and the start date would ever be allowed to go through. It's so disrespectful to all the innocent ppl who lost their lives, I feel, especially to start building on that date - it's as if there's a hidden agenda.
If I were Muslim, I wouldn't want to go near the place - it's all asking for controversy, and in the end, trouble. It's not even built yet and ppl are discussing it with shock.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
"Whatever you do, don't - fall - asleep!"
S
Parakeet
Parakeet
S
The Mosque is around the corner from the ground zero site. The community center will be erected in the same place. It is not on ground zero and if we, as Americans, feel that this is innappropriate then we have the right to say so. But this country was built on individual freedoms and to propose restrictions based on extremist actions (that do not reflect the whole of whatever ideology or religion these extremists pervert) is, as Jeanne stated, the same as holding Christians responsible for those that abuse their power in the name of Christ.

There was an interesting report on the news that alledged some ties to an extremist organization and this should be investigated throroughly - if this is found to be true then it should not be built at all - regardless of where.

Last edited by Susan - Horses/Animals; 08/05/10 03:50 PM.

Susan Hopf
Horses and Animal Life site editor
Horses Website
Horses Forum
Animal Life Site
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
It's interesting, I recently read an article by a woman who described herself as a 'moderate Muslim', and she pointed out that extremist/fundamental Muslims hate her even more than they hate non-Muslim Americans, because she represents a more direct threat to their faith, by representing another form of it. So if this mosque is actually representing a moderate, modern form of Islam, it is one of the best possible things that could be represented at Ground Zero, in my view. To deny it would be unAmerican in my view, because it would be a form of stereotyping and discrimination based on religion.

But I agree that if some extremist ties are discovered, then this is different situation, it becomes a matter of security as well as respet for the victims of 9/11. So I am interested to see where current journalistic investigations go...right now, it seems like this issue is being 'used' a bit by people on both sides of the issue...

Lisa Erickson, Buddhism Editor
Buddhism Site
Teaching and Private Session Website: Enlightened Energetics
Blog: Mommy Mystic
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
It is true that if you own a piece of property and the property is zoned for what you want to do with it, then you should be able to build. However, if you know your building is not wanted and the reason why, then why antagonize everyone and move forward with the construction. The only reason is to antagonize. It is like a neighbor who parks his car in front of your house right at the edge of your driveway. You ask the neighbor not to park there and the neighbor parks there anyway just to antagonize you - he can park there because he can park there.

Shark
Shark
Why not reverse the process? Assume for example we bomb a Mosque over there and later on ask to build a museum that talks about our history and Democracy in it's place. Do you think the Islamic Imams would okay such a project?

Amoeba
Amoeba
I tend to agree with Angie on antagonism. To the families of the victims I am sure it feels like the Mosque is a slap in the face and just a way to antagonize them. It will be an additional and constant source of reminder of the tragedy when the Mosque is built in the shadows of the horrific attack on our soil, our fellow citizens.

To me it is not so much about religion and the fact that anyone, any religion, can legally build their place of worship where they want -- rather, I see it as an "in your face" thing. I also see a lot of trouble coming out of it. I do not think there will be any peace there for the worshipers at the Mosque or the citizens who will have to walk or drive by or live near it.

When our people and country were attacked and our citizens killed, our towers destroyed, it was devastating, shocking, terrifying, but the people came back with the courage and a common bond of "Ok -- you hit us hard -- but, we will come back bigger and stronger than ever." And what will they have to show for it all?

I would like to hear from the citizens who live in New York. I would like to know how they feel. We can all give our own thoughts on this -- but, how do the people of New York feel about it?

Last edited by Phyllis - Folk/Myth; 08/07/10 02:09 AM.

Walk in Beauty and Harmony.
Phyllis-Folklore and Mythology
Folklore and Mythology Site
Folklore/Mythology Forum

Spiritual Coaching
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
I was listening to a talk show and one of the panel thought it might not happen - difficulty in getting the job done. We'll see.

Last edited by Angie; 08/08/10 09:11 PM.
S
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
S
I think in the coming days it will be revealed what the real motivation behind this mosque is. I think that is key as to whether or not it should be built.

Stephanie Romero
Independent Parties
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
There is a massive mosque compound to be built in TN.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.