Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#608449 07/01/10 02:15 PM
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Online courses regularly require instructors discussion questions and answers from students. Generally, also required are responses from other students. My classes (so far) require 2 responses to discussion questions per week and 2 responses to others responses per question (clear as mud yet?).

I am always amazed at the brief responses and grammatically incorrect responses given by students. We're in college! We should write correctly. So, here's my suggestion for collegiate posts:

1. Write your response first in a word processing document (such as Word Perfect or Word.

2. Check for grammatical errors or spelling errors. and correct them.

3. Proofread your quresponse backwards, line-by-line. Read each sentence one at a time from the bottom up. Does it make sense? Are there complete sentences? Will someone who isn't in your head understand your post?

THEN, copy and paste the response into your onlie discussion thread or forum.

That's my gripe for the day smile

Last edited by sara1955; 07/01/10 02:16 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
sara1955 #608575 07/01/10 05:04 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I entirely agree. When I did an online course, the quality of the postings was generally high. The response to poor ones varied, but tended to be polite but firm on the subject. Obvious exceptions were those for whom English was a second language.

And I won't tease you (much!) about "THEN, copy and paste the response into your onlie discussion thread or forum." Surely your forum wouldn't lie. [Laugh of recognition. Happens to us all. Onlie is one of mine too. And I was cross-eyed and cross-fingered trying to get the word "introducing" to come out right the other day.]

Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
**hanging head** LOL That's what I get huh smile

sara1955 #608601 07/01/10 08:40 PM
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
My only excuse is the page kept jumping and I was too bothered to wait to post LOLOL

sara1955 #608861 07/02/10 06:55 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
I do agree that I'm a little dismayed at some students who are in a college course and who have English as a first language but who struggle with some very basic components of using English.

I cut slack for students who are from foreign countries, who are doing this in a "second language" and who are here to learn a non-English skill (for example a Chemistry major). For them I think they're doing fairly well to keep up with everything in a secondary language.

I also in general cut some slack for the idea that it is a forum discussion, so things come out more fluidly than in a term paper for example. While I do think people should at least re-read what they type, I don't know that I'd go as far as making people review every forum post backwards smile

For me, forum posts are like in-class discussion. If everyone is excitedly talking about an issue in local politics, they don't need to ponder their wording for 20 minutes before they join in. They can just join in, and if the underlying thought is sound, I give them leeway on how they phrase it.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I'm frustrated with some of my classmates right now. I have two that consistently use "where" for "were" and use "there" for "there" and for "their" ....

**pulling my hair out**

Oh ... this is an intermediate comp class too. I'm hoping the instructor points this out. It's quite distracting when reading.

And... I swear, no one uses spell check or grammar check. *sigh*

sara1955 #635865 10/10/10 08:45 PM
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
One suggestion - use FireFox for all your postings and encourage others to do that too. FireFox will highlight in red all misspelled words which can easily help catch issues.

I would email the instructor and ask if they can help with this issue. It's probably better if the instructor addresses it privately vs you as a fellow student constantly pointing out their errors smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
E
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
E
Hi I didn't know that it was Firefox that would highlight misspelled words in forums. I always thought it was the way forums were set up. That is interesting information.

I agree that it is better to get the instructor to handle the problem. And considering it is an English composition class I am surprised that he/she isn't expecting a higher level of spelling and grammar from students. It is true that in a forum some slack can be given but a large number of mistakes should not be ignored. It really isn't beneficial to those students in the long term.

Elizabeth Stuttard
Distance Learning
sara1955 #635895 10/10/10 11:57 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I'm just catching the tail end of this discussion and I've heard of Firefox but now I'll look more into how to implement it.

I'm always reversing things or leaving gaps of words out, it's more a learning disability than anything and difficult to catch, so I actually, when I'm up to it, have read things backwards to catch errors or I'll use a piece of paper up against the screen or a book I'm reviewing.

But in regards to laziness, though. I've noticed, not just on on-line courses, but a lot of online articles and news pieces, it litterally seems and "feels" like, anything goes. Not the articulateness (sp) I grew up with.

In some ways it's good, but my husband calls it the "sticker for going to the bathroom" generation. You get a reward for doing just about anything, good quality or poor. I don't know how I feel about that, but that's a different topic.

I think it would be nice - wierd but nice if there was a program that watched out for dyslexic grammor errors. Spellcheck is good, but there are somethings that if the word is looking right, it's not going to tell you there's an error.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
E
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
E
Hi Elleise,
It would be great if there was a program for dyslexic errors. It must be frustrating for a writer - an extra problem to deal with in everything you write. I admire you and other writers for giving us the wisdom of your thoughts while dealing with those extra problems that dyslexia brings. My husband is a great fan of John Irving and I believe he also has dyslexia and yet he writes long books which are both insightful and entertaining. I think it takes him longer to write a book than some authors but they are worth waiting for. It is a good thing he has persevered with his writing.
Thanks for visiting the forum and posting your thoughts.

Elizabeth Stuttard
Distance Learning
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Patricia PN - DL Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/12/24 08:57 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/10/24 08:39 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/06/24 02:11 PM
Curiosity and Learning
by Angie - 04/06/24 09:56 AM
Easy to Sew Pillowcases
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/03/24 04:38 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/31/24 01:10 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.