Next Thread
Print Thread
#595216 04/11/10 01:44 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
As part of my journals and diaries shelf, I also keep old letters. I just pulled down the box of "paper stuff" and am sorting it out. I just put all of my son James' artwork and letters into one three ring binder (in plastic inserts, not punching the originals). So that is now all organized.

While it was clear to me that I'd keep everything James had done, I'm less sure about other letters. There are letters from men in my life back then. I've now been with my boyfriend Bob for 13 years. I don't keep the old letters because I have any desire for these old guys. It is more like a diary, they record a part of my life that I'm glad is in the past but is still a part of me.

What do you think, is it reasonable to put them into a binder, in date order, just like I still have photos from those years? I just don't feel comfortable destroying them.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
I would save the letters. Like you say, they are a part of your past, a part of your life that defined you back then. To me, destroying old letters is like destroying history. Years from now when your decendants read your diaries and old letters, it will be an important part of their family history, too. Someone may write a book about you some day and letters will be very helpful. You may even write an autobiography. It would be sad to destroy a part of your past.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Save them. My mother used to exchange letters with an army man. It was Dave Brubeck, the famous jazzman! She stopped writing to him because she complained that all he wrote about was "his music." What did she do with all his letters? She threw them out.

My son was sick when he found out. He is a jazz sax player and idolizes Brubeck!!!

Keep the letters! They're important to your personal history.

I am not a saver so I was surprised and charmed to find that a friend of mine kept all of our school notes that we passed back and forth to each other. So sweet and funny. I wished I kept mine.

I
Shark
Shark
I
I agree! Save 'em.

I'm afraid none of my old beaux were the writing kind.

I treasure all the things I've gotten from my husband. I think one of the ways that I knew that he was "The One" as my mother called him, was that he loved to read and write! So many long stories in my journal...

Be Well,
Doxi
Founder & Chief Whiner
S.N.E.R.T.s
Survivors of Nearly Every Rotten Thing
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
It is so true that even though you might not want the letters, someone else might find them an ultimate treasure. I will look into saving them!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum

Moderated by  kkgarcia 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.