Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Do you find yourself using a mix of social media to communicate? Or do you tend to favor one thing, like direct messages on forums/twitter/facebook, IMing via your email account, or phone texting? Or are emails your communication method of choice?

Lately I am discovering I love to text. What about you?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
I'm a power tweeter. I'm shocked at how much I love it. I may need counseling. What really drove it home for me was having Tweetdeck and the instant access. If I had one of those little black boxes I'd probably text every 10s.

S
Shark
Shark
S
I use a mix of social media to communicate.
Facebook for family. I also like twitter and use it frequently.
Sundancer

EmbroideryFashionsBoutique

BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
I pretty much rot at social networking. I prefer IMs and emails. Texting is ok, but I do like to use a full keyboard.

Gecko
Gecko
Sorry but I don't agree with the need for networking. I have a FB and Twitter account but find it too invasive for privacy and it is a lot of work if you stay on top of it. More like a full time job. I still have 999 emails to look at. (most probably all about nothing...besides once you've had a PC for a while the jokes have been seen and most recycled) Im's...who Im's anymore with tweeting, or texting. I am on a budget with my cell so no texting or calls unless its an emergency. My time is my own time and too precious to be having people take up my time with it. I don't even talk on the phone much even before cells. What happened to good old fashioned human face to face contact. Try and get a hug from your phone. (I do love Skype as it allows me to visit live with my cousins in Poland...for free)

Last edited by rdywenur; 05/28/10 05:21 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Rdywenur - I think you hit on a key thing. I would love to see my Dad every day! I just can't afford to drive out to do that. I can Skype for free and talk to him and stay in touch.

In the same way, I just can't spend an hour on the phone with each of my relatives. I wouldn't be able to sleep if I did. With Facebook I can stay in touch with all of them quickly and easily via Facebook. So I just scan Facebook every night, see what they're all doing, and write back in my own time, even if they are asleep. It means I can remain in touch with relatives on the other side of the world even when our time zones don't match up. I think that's a huge improvement over the telephone, and certainly over relying on face to face meetings which would be very rare.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
B
Koala
Koala
B
I do facebook once a week or so, a few times the did chat feature since someone else contacted me, would have no idea how to use it if I wanted to.

I stopped IMs years ago, too time consuming, was good when I was dating.

I use twitter almost daily, now with school windinig down and my son uses the computer for homeschool I dont have access as often.

I have received texts on my cell phone - use a tracfone and no clue how to do a text or really intersted in that, but think I should learn in future so my 15 yr old son knows how to do it.

I use twitter on the web, dont like tweetdeck and a few times used tweetchat.

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site
Gecko
Gecko
Lisa I do the same to stay in touch with out of town friends on FB and much easier to stay in touch like you said.

Bonnie without getting too personal what do you twitter...to friends or just general chat of other tweeters. Are you saying you use the phone to tweet to access web. I don't think your son will need any help in texting. He probably already knows how. Kids pick up on that super quick and leave us in the dust.

I bought a tracphone last year to cut down on my expenses and within seconds half of my minutes were gone cause of calls from unknown people, either the number was someone else's. Also in calling for support get charged. (and they can keep you on a phone for ever just so you eat your minutes) There is no control on tracphones. Can't block or stop calls that you don't wish to recieve. I can do so on my regular cell phone which I didn't give up. Any tips for that.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Before I had a full keyboard on my phone, i hated texting. Now that I have an iphone, it's my preferred mode of communication for several reasons:

1. I don't have to be tethered to my computer to communicate, which gets me out of the house. I can go for a walk with my phone, sit by a creek with my phone, or do errands with my phone.

2. I don't have to make an actual phone call when I am out and about, which is time consuming. Also I am usually not in the mood to engage in chit chat. Texts are quick, fun and useful.

So a text is my first choice for straight communication.

Next good for me are IMs. I like that they are immediate (unlike the time lag you get with email back and forthing) and that you can communicate a lot of information really quickly. They are like a conversation, but one where you can also multitask, check in with others, and even socialize a bit.

I also get my 'IM logs' saved automatically on gmail, so i can go back and read any previous conversation later if needed.

Third best for me are emails. I get so many emails that these can get really buried fast. And sometimes I have to wait a very long time to get a reply (if you get one at all) because MY email got buried. Sometimes someone really didn't take the time to respond in a way in the detail I'd hoped and I have to email back and forth over days/weeks/months to have something resolved.

Pluses to an email: you DO have the time to really think things out and work out what you are going to say. They are also slightly easier to hunt down for reference than a IM chat log, unless you are searching for specific keywords in gmail.

DMs on forums, Facebook and Twitter - for me - are the most unreliable form for sending/receiving personal messages. They have the email time lag, but also the brevity of question-response you see on IM. So for me these are the least useful way to carry on a personal conversation. It's really easy for a DM to get overlooked or never answered/underanswered.

Those are my views. I am positive it's different for others!

Last edited by Jilly; 06/03/10 03:19 AM.
Gecko
Gecko
One thing for sure. You can have all the latest technology etc but if the person you wish to communicate with doesn't have the same then pretty much on your own. My best friend who is on the west coast refuses to get a PC. Thank God she has a phone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.