Next Thread
Print Thread
#579320 01/19/10 04:44 PM
R
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
R
I am pretty new to these forums but I am hoping you can answer my question. Is sushi a raw fish dish? Someone told me it has to do with rice and not raw fish.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Hi Reptilepop! I can answer this! I'm the Japanese food site editor here at BellaOnline.

Sushi is seasoned white rice. There are many types of sushi. Most do have some variety of raw fish in or on them. However, sushi itself is steamed rice flavored with a mixture of rice vinegar and a bit of salt and sugar.

There are many types of sushi that do have feature raw fish or any fish at all. Some sushi has cooked seafood on or in it.

Some sushi is wrapped with nori sheets that are made of kelp. Others use rice paper or lettuce while others are not wrapped at all.

I highly encourage you to try sushi by going to a sushi bar, buffet or restaurant. Your friendly sushi chef will be happy to show you examples and answer your questions. If you go to a buffet, you'll see a fine array of the various types of sushi.

Some sushi have cooked and seasoned omelet or only vegetables and pickles. But be brave and try the seafood types. They are delicious. Start with the cooked seafood types, such as ebi (shrimp) and then work your way up to the raw fish. There are many types of raw fish that are mild in flavor.

Blend a little wasabi (green horseradish paste) with soy sauce to dip in your raw fish sushi. You will be pleasantly surprised to taste how mild and wonderful it is.

A good sushi bar serves only the freshest, healthiest and safest raw fish. Raw fish is nutritional, packed with omega 3 fatty acids and protein. It tastes so different than cooked fish and, dare I say, better! Similar to the difference between cooked fruit and raw fruit.

Good luck! And stop by the Japanese food site forum and let me know if you enjoyed your first experience with sushi.

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
One of my favorite types of sushi is shrimp, which is cooked smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Zebra
Zebra
There is a local sushi restaurant in Memphis which has several dishes where the fish is cooked. My family likes that since they are still a bit put off by the raw fish (I personally love it, tuna roll is probably my favorite).

This restaurant has real sushi chefs who truly create works of art with all their dishes. It's almost too pretty to eat!

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
That's the Japanese way of presenting food. I really need to work on that myself. In fact, thanks for the idea for an upcoming article on mukimono or garnishing food!

V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
I always thought or was told that sushi simply meant seaweed. I had no idea that it meant seasoned white rice.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Gecko
Gecko

I used to enjoy sushi myself and the bar I attended regularly closed down (the owner had cancer).

Sushi is cooked vinegared rice that is commonly topped with other ingredients, such as fish or other seafood, or put into rolls. Sliced raw fish alone is called sashimi, as distinct from sushi. Sushi that is served rolled inside or around dried and pressed layer sheets of seaweed (or nori) is makizushi . Toppings stuffed into a small pouch of fried tofu is inarizushi. Toppings served scattered over a bowl of sushi rice is called chirashi-zushi.

Be careful of the sushi you see at the buffets, I am sure there are some good ones but if you are going to try sushi, I would go to a sushi bar/house so you can get educated while enjoying your sushi venture!

Proud Pagan
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Originally Posted By: Vance, Bellaonline Editor
I always thought or was told that sushi simply meant seaweed. I had no idea that it meant seasoned white rice.

Hey, Vance! Why not go to my site and take the sushi quiz? It's filled with interesting facts about sushi!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.