Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#597728 04/29/10 11:24 PM
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
Chi,

I read once somewhere that almond cookies have a special meaning. What does it mean or symbolize? I want to make some for my son and his wife (she is Japanese). Do you have a recipe for almond cookies? Is there a special time of year to give them?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I love almond cookies! My grandmother used to make spritz cookies by 15-20 tin cans at a time, whenever we'd come to visit. The flavor (s) stuck with me and I found the almond cookie. I had no idea of the origen or of meaning behind them.

I often wonder whether people practice the heritage of foods or if it's something that makes wonderful conversation at the dinner table or get togethers?

My family has Polish/Native American roots and I can't tell you how much more it adds to the making, reading a little history on what it is we're having for dinner smile It's a bit like living, being there.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Hi and thanks for stopping by! Different cultures have their own versions of the almond cookie. Some are thin and toffee-like. Most resemble a shortbread cookie. A few are of the filled variety.

There are different types of Asian almond cookies but the type Elleise refers to (the ones that come in round tins) are Chinese Almond Cookies. They are a bit crumbly, round with a red dot and an almond sliver on the top?

There is another Chinese version, which is called an almond biscuit, that are thick rounds with a molded pattern on the top. Moon cakes are another auspicious pastry eaten during special holidays. These cookies are celebratory treats, given at New Year's and other special days. They are a sign of good luck.

But the Japanese do not have a special almond cookie that holds any particular meaning so I am a little perplexed by your question. I'll do some research into it. Here is a recipe I found that claims to be a "Japanese" Almond Cookie. It is a bar-type cookie:

JAPANESE ALMOND COOKIES

CRUST:

1 stick butter
1 1/2 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1 egg

TOPPING:

1 stick butter
2 c. almonds, sliced
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. honey
1/3 c. whipping cream

Mix ingredients for crust and press in 8x8 pan. Bake 10 minutes at 350 degrees until golden.
Mix all the ingredients for topping in saucepan. Cook until it bubbles. Continue boiling over heat until soft ball stage (can test in water). Add almonds. Pour fast over crust. Bake again until top is brown. Watch closely (approximately 5 minutes.)

OP Offline
Hmmmm...I must have gotten some things mixed up. I seem to remember now that it is a Chinese tradition - that whoever gets an almond in the cookie will have good fortune. It must be a New Year's tradition.

I will have to try your recipe for the Japanese Almond Cookies, Chi - that sounds good.

Elleise, my Grandmother made spritz cookies, too, and we loved them. I make them every year for the holidays and a few times throughout the year.

I make about 20 different types of cookies for the holidays. Maybe I can just put an almond in one butter cookie.

I put the cookies in tins (4 dozen in each tin) and do not label them. They are kept in my refrigerator till I have my Christmas Tea and Cookie Exchange in early December. I invite all the women in my family and they each receive a tin of cookies. Then, after we eat luncheon and have tea, we open our tins and can trade with others - like maybe 6 butter cookies for 6 bird's nest cookies, etc. It will be fun to see who gets the almond.

Your almond cookies will make a nice addition to this game.

Thanks, Chi.

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 05/02/10 01:58 AM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 02/20/24 03:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 02/20/24 09:04 AM
Tennis Legend Roger Federer - New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 02/19/24 08:57 PM
Lined Note Paper Template for Digital Planner
by Digital Art and Animation - 02/19/24 08:38 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 02/19/24 08:21 PM
Start a New Document in Illustrator
by Digital Art and Animation - 02/19/24 08:19 PM
Digital Planner Grid of Dots Filler Paper
by Digital Art and Animation - 02/19/24 08:18 PM
New Document Window Adobe Illustrator
by Digital Art and Animation - 02/19/24 08:10 PM
Square Grid Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 02/19/24 08:08 PM
Writing Lines Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 02/19/24 08:06 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.