Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
I'm not one for planning my quilt before cutting and sewing. I like to let my quilt morph as I go along. What about you? How much do you plan before you get going? Do you sketch and work out measurements as you go along, or do you just let it all happen?

Let other quilters know what suits you best.
Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham
Editor Australia & Quilting Sites

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting
Sponsored Post Advertisement
R
R
some quilts I plan in a sort of way but most times I end up with changes here and there. I find if I follow a set pattern that I get upset if it isn't just right.

C
C
Oh I just told my friend the other day it takes me longer to thing it out an the colors then the really sewing!

G
Zebra
Zebra
G
Since I only quilt to make specific articles, I definitely plan everything ahead of time. And even then (from time to time) I find myself re-planning the plan. My biggest problem is not liking the same material to be in adjoining blocks. I've got to plan to avoid that happening.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
M
M
I guess if I am making an art quilt I just go with the flow... so that I can adjust, and readjust as I go. If I am making a functional, going to use this patchwork quilting to sleep or cuddle under, I plan ahead. MaggieB BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

M
M
UBB code? Oops, sorry... I didn't know, or how to do that.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Hey Maggie, not sure why that happened either. It usually pops up when someone puts in a link to their site. But you didn't do that.

I'm interested when you talk about the difference between an art quilt and a traditional quilt design. I feel the same. Just recently I entered a challenge and just went with the flow and was pretty pleased with the result. I really enjoyed that process. When getting into the traditional, if I plan, and it doesn't work out, I get disappointed. So I tend not to plan too far ahead.
Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham
Editor Australia & Quilting Sites

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting
G
Zebra
Zebra
G
Maggie: Check the FAQ above. You can't include URLs until you've made a certain number of posts. I just don't remember what that number is right now.

Maggie and Judie: I've never even considered making an art quilt. Could you explain how you start them if it doesn't involve planning? I mean, do you start with just a small idea, or just pick up a couple pieces of fabric, or what. It's a concept that is so foreign to me, I can't imagine doing it. Maybe that's because I can't do a thing in my live without a plan. smirk GrannyH

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."

Moderated by  Judie Quilting Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.