logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#523250 05/26/09 08:48 PM
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
Some friends of mine will be traveling in England in late December. They want to see some old England sites, not just the touristy sites. Can anyone recommend some good sites for real English atmosphere?

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
Shark
Shark
J
that is such a big question because although it is a small country there is so much there. Many stately homes have Christmas events which are lovely. Hampton Court Palace has a good Christmas show - this palace is west of London. Henry Viii built it and this June it is 500 years since he was crowned so there will be events marking that.

Joanna Czechowska
British Television Editor
OP Offline
Thank you, Joanna. I passed this info along and my friends are very excited about the events for Henry VIII.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
S
S
Where abouts is she going? Does she have a car/or will walk a little? there are loads of places i could name...many free and of the beaten track if you give us a vague idea where she'll be and how she wil be getting around

OP Offline
They will be renting a car I am sure. They do not like to go on scheduled tours, rather take their own time and their own interests into consideration.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
OP Offline
They came back from England so enthused and happy about the trip. They loved it! My brother bought several vests and came home looking like a right proper Englishman. He took so many pics and wants to go back. He says it was wonderful. He walked every day to visit many places and so enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and the people.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
J
Shark
Shark
J
I'm glad they had a good time. Where did they visit? By the way, what you call vests, we call waistcoats (vests are worn under the shirt).

Joanna Czechowska
British Television Editor
OP Offline
I did not know you call them "waistcoats" - I always wondered what a waiscoat was, now I know. The ones he bought are what we call pull-over sweater vests. They are very nice and make him feel better dressed. He is concerned now about the summer months coming up and not being able to wear the "vests".

They had plans to visit the Giant's Causeway and many other places, but had so much fun where they were in England. They visited Buckingham Palace, of course, and several other palaces and temples/churches and took so many pictures. I do not know all the places they visited. They stayed at a huge, historical hotel on the Thames and loved it so much they did not want to leave. I do not remember the name of the hotel, but it is luxurious and huge!

Phyllis Doyle Burns
OP Offline
My brother said he so enjoyed walking in St. James (I think that was the name of the park). He said it was so beautiful.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
If it was huge and famous and on the river, it was probable the Savoy Hotel. It used to be where the entrance road is the only legal road where driving on the right is allowed. This was so the the hackney carriages could let the passengers alight by the door. If they stayed there they must have a few dollars as it is quite expensive.

Moderated by  Sarah - English Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.