logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
What have you seen to change your perspective of the intelligence of animals?

Pet Skunks - Skunk pictures included Skunks are extremely smart animals. For many years people have presumed animals were very substandard in the intelligence department. I have seen some amazing things.

I had owned a house overlooking a lake in Northern Minnesota. I had been in the hospital for a few months. In the meantime, my family faithfully saved plastic soda bottles (ex husband lived on Pepsi) upstairs in the loft area. When I returned home I was packing to move to Southern Minnesota. When my new husband (current husband 12 years now) were packing my house to move we found huge circular nests upstairs of Pepsi bottles with blankets in the middle. As you know it gets very cold up there. Evidently, my skunks had made the insulated nests while I was in the hospital. I wasn�t there to sleep with with them.

Think about this, the common human would most likely never think of using the Pepsi bottles as insulation or dead air space. As deep and as high as the nests were � this took some complicated thought.

You would think animals would instinctually be afraid of a large fires. I have been a reporter for a good many years. I was covering a huge fire in the country. A big propane tank was very close to exploding, it was also an ammunition dealer. There was a dairy next door. These cows were all lined up at the fence line all trying to get a better view. You could see the curious nature in their face and eyes. Inquisitiveness is a sign of intelligence.

Curiosity took over any instinct of being afraid of this big fire � much like humans (and reporters lol)

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Diana, what a very informative and entertaining article - I love it.

I believe many animals have far more intelligence than we belive. All the dogs I have ever had learned very quickly certain words and phrases and hand signals. Dogs instinctively know things long before we do.

I still remember, many years ago, I took my kids to the San Francisco zoo. They had recently posted signs to not feed the chimps. The chimps kept begging for handouts and when they got none they would moon the people. Ivan, the gorilla, knew when there was someone outside his windows who had compassion for him and would try to communicate. With the people who saw him as just a curiosity, he became angry with and pounded on the windows.

I am amazed that the domestic skunk is so smart and how they love to play. That is so prescious.

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 03/16/10 09:54 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.