#590508 03/12/10 11:48 PM
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
I wait every year and I will not say it is spring until I see one~Well I did! Just today I saw mother Robin red breast as proud as she can be and chirping away!

Welcome Spring! A sign for renewal!
Enjoy!

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
Today 3/14/10 and I have spotted a Robin family! (or little flock~no babes yet!) So I know now we are finally in Spring! Yeah!

Mary Caliendo

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Mary,

Where I live, a little west of St. Louis, the robins stay all winter. I spent most of my life in New Jersey, so having robins all winter is a treat. It is lovely to hear a robin's song in January... a little feel of Spring in the dead of Winter.

M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
wow to have Robins all year would be fantastic! For us here, our family uses the Robin as the sign that Spring is here and Summer is not too far behind, now we watch for the beautiful blue eggs of the Robin's family~ but pesky black birds tend to build residence not too far from from the friendly Robin in order to sneak away one of the young while mother Robin is out collecting food!

Mary Caliendo

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
The duck family from last year has returned again!

They love to visit the large puddles in the adjacent farm field & drive my doggie crazy!

Mary Caliendo

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
I'm loving watching the duckies~ it's so sweet how they walk together and how he stays behind her~ looking after her~ so sweet.

Mary Caliendo

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
I was joking the other day that Spring wasn't here yet~ and while this past Saturday/Sunday *the weekend) I wanted to walk out in the daffodils but seriously folks I had to get my Winter coat and hat on! The snow was covering the lawn and was coming down sideways!!

Middle 50's to the mid 60's is forecast for the rest of the week,I think finally Spring! Right?

Oh well, I 'll go grab a cuppa tea!

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
finally, I can say that possibly frost will be a thing of the past and getting ready to plant flowers and in about 2 weeks bring on the veggies!

P.S. the little duckies that come a visiting in the morns may have made a nest on the other side of our wood pile!
Will post on the ducks as they progress.

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
Ducky update: alas the two must be a long-time married couple (hahahaha) he is still waddling behind her every morning, but no nest makes it's appearance! No babes just yet or in our eye-view!

Any nature at your home?

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor

Last edited by mary-tea1; 05/11/10 09:33 AM.

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
ducky update:

The lovely little pair of quackers continue to "hang out" in my yard~ While the two have taken to sleeping under my hydranga bushes, there are no eggs! They are quiet, mild mannered, and totally have snubbed the dog; they simply are hanging out for the summer!

Mary Caliendo

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
Well everyone the rain came pouring down and have brought all of the duck couples' family too! They are hanging out back and swimming in the sotted farm field but no there is no nest of ducklings and it may be just as I originally figured this quaint ducky couple that started it all are just old folks like me who are most likely "grand parents"! hahahaha

How is the nature at your house? What's in your cup today?

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
What type of nature is out your window?
What's in your tea cup today?

Mary Caliendo

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
well no more duck family as it gets hotter they seem to have virtually disappeared! Now I have different sets of visitors ~the ever curious chipmunk family~ then there's the squirrel family (but only the big one dares climb my tree~could be father?) And did I mention in previous that this was the rabbits crossing??

My dog is nuts but I love the visiting finches~ bright yellow is the male and I believe the female is brownish in color they fly together insync and stop to preen each other lovely sight!

What goes on outside your windows?
Mary Caliendo

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
My sunflowers are now bringing the Cardinals. But they are ever so shy and hide quite well in the trees. One way to see if they are about is to listen for their call. With the Hawks circling overhead I am sure there areabundant rodents running in the soy field.

What nature is outside in your world?

Mary Caliendo

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
my sunflowers are bringing so many many beautiful things to my yard!

Grasshoppers, dragonflies of all colors and butterflies more beautiful than the last that flew by!
What's in your yard, garden, farm, patio planter???

This is an oasis to sit in the am hours w/tea cup and meditate to the sounds of birds and buzzing of bees!

Mary Caliendo

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
out taking pictures of the black & blue swallowtail butterflies and the newest butterfly the yellow black swailtail
I hope to post them soon!

What's outside your window?

Mary Caliendo

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
The tiny little finch family sings with joy today as they feed amongst the flowers! How lovely and inspiring!

Mary Caliendo

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
I have put a little chair near my imaginarium garden! It has become my new place to write from!

Do you have a special garden chair? Bench? or Swing?

Mary Caliendo

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
MY heart sank as the largest and tallest of the stalks of sunflowers was rudely ripped entirely out of the ground by the passing storm! I will now try to collect the seeds if I can for next year.

Does anyone know how to collect? Shall I dry the whole head? The flower? or wait until the flower head is dry? Display first.

Mary Caliendo

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
The imaginarium that was my inspiration all spring/summer long is now wilting away and slowly disappearing. Fall is here and now it is time to collect the seeds to promote my next year imaginarium.

Does anyone know how to collect the seeds of Sunflower, Zinnia, and other wildflowers? Let me know. Thanks

Mary Caliendo

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
Elephant
Elephant
I would love to have sunflowers in my backyard. I would also like to try container gardening this year instead of what we did last year. We planted a few veggies but only ended up with spinach and kale (not bad I guess for our first time). We didn't have to buy either all winter but we really wanted our other plants to workout too. We still have 2 more weeks to decide.

Monica Neave ISSA Certified Fitness Therapist

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
does anyone know what to collect to retain the sunflower seeds? Is it the whole head?

Love container gardening I have arthritis so I can't really get onto the ground anymore but I had tomatoes and sweet green & jalopenos came up like a dream all summer always had fresh veggies on salad. I say grow whatever you can~it helps our environment and your backyard becomes your special oasis~a while back I had a huge garden~everything you could want I tried it but even though I can't do that way anymore I do what I can. We do garlic and onions as well.(those are in ground)

Mary Caliendo

Last edited by mary-tea1; 09/21/10 01:58 AM.

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Put some kind of netting around the sunflower head to catch the seeds and also to keep the birds from eating them. Tie the netting on securely around the stock and make sure it is big enough to catch all the seeds -- you do not want it tight against the flower. Do not take the flower head off the stalk. It will droop down and the seeds will dry and drop into the netting. If it starts raining, cut the whole flower off, but leave a good length of stalk on it for further nourishment for the seeds. Keep the flower in a dry place with the netting around it.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
Oh my gosh Phyliis thank goodness yes I have let the birds go a bit nutty out there b/c they loved them I felt i couldn't deprive but I want to catch whats left.
Thank you for the heads up and guidence on the seeds I'll be putting the netting up this afternoon!

How about Zinnias and general wildflowers?

Mary Caliendo

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
Elephant
Elephant
Very cool. Now I'm motivated to plan a sunflower because I can collect seeds and give them to my son's gerbil. He loves the seeds.

Monica Neave ISSA Certified Fitness Therapist

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
I planted handfuls(of seeds) and got so many flowers~ I planted different types so that there was quite a bit of vairation. And used the smaller one to cut and put in vases.

Mary Caliendo

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
Here in Reno the smaller sunflowers grow like wildflowers. They are all over the place. My father used to grow sunflowers, the big ones. The flower heads were so heavy with seeds that the stalk drooped way down. He always put the nets on them.

My little squirrels from the mountain love sunflower seeds. I wanted to throw a bunch of seeds out there on the mountain so plants would grow, but the squirrels would just eat them all up.

Wild flowers are beautiful in an English garden, along with herbs.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
I did go to a container garden herb "seminar" at my library so next year I will add another pot (and herb pot)!

Mary Caliendo

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
what are you adding to your imaginarium next spring?

Mary Caliendo

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
I just added a wild song bird suet out in my imaginarium! I still have some flowers out there even though it has been very chilly at night! Some bees, crickets, & birds....can't wait for the Spring..

Mary Caliendo

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
The birds are now flocking to my flower garden & and have been feasting upon the seeds and the suet!

There is always clatter from the birdies as they chirp happy chirps amongst themselves!

Mary Caliendo

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
Since we have had a crazy range of weather in our area, from very unseasonably warm to now very chilly to windy we have had a cast of characters come visiting and most ending up in the uncovered arc-wells! Mini-zoo shows not so good. Inserted a long piece of wood to help stranded wildlife take a trip out of the would-be prison! Thank goodness it has worked thus far...the opossum and several chipmonks have be able to reunite with their families!

I am leaving the make-shift elevator in place, so the next guy can have the ability to walk right out!

Mary Caliendo

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
This thread has been running for almost a calendar year now. I checked and I first spotted Robins last year on 3/14/10

This year I have spotted on 3/2/11! So they are out and Spring must be here officially now! I also have some dafodills coming up around front door.

How is Spring in your area?

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
Who has Spring at their door?

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
Was at daughter's condo. they live by the edge of a wooded area and there is man-made water~it was mobbed by a blue jay( have not seen one in years), some type of small woodpecker, a fire engine red cardinal,and many fancy sparrows! We went out and fed the ducks and mallards bread, along with the two very cranky geese! Whom were very territorial and cleared all the other birds out of the way!

Welcome to Spring!
Mary Caliendo

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I have snowdrops, daffodils, primroses, crocus, chives and parsley growing in my garden. There are robins, sparrows, blue tits, magpies and pigeons making lots of noise. There are catkins out on the trees and my Japanees maple has got new buds on it. My tea rose has new green leaves and the apple tree has fat buds waiting to burst.

The sun has shone for two whole days now but there was frost on the ground before the sun rose this morning.

I can't wait to get out and start digging. Roll on the warmer weather.

Linda Heywood

M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
Dear Linda, I hear you cannot wait for the weather to improve so we can get out there! It sounds like you've got a lot out there~Spring and summer I spend a lot of my time outside.

Bring on the Spring! Turn on that sun and heat!

We are experiencing a real Spring this year so far the warmth has been coming but gradual.
Keep in touch!

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
How is everyone's bulbs coming up? How are your birds? Are you reawakening with Spring? What Spring cleaning are you doing?

Who is started a new journal, walking club,book club,tea clutch club?

Let us all know what your Spring time fun or chores are!

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
Well finally after the visiting pair of duckies each year to my home (backyard) we finally have 6 confirmed eggs (looks like could be 7) under our air conditioner! Have seen mom or dad there now repeatedly must be time for hatching! Will update ASAP

Anyone doing flowers or veggies yet?

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
Spring is abundant on my little mountain. The sage is growing lush, the tall grasses are turning green, the rabbits and squirrels are running up and down the hills, and all the birds are singing their joy.

Since we live in a migratory zone, the robins are here year round. Their red breasts get a little dull in winter, but come spring they start to brighten up.

I love Spring!

Phyllis Doyle Burns
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
Ah yes, Spring to me also makes me feel more alive and ready to move and walk outdoors! I too also enjoy the season's change watching the rebirth of the Earth!

The birds are happy, and love is in the air for the bunnies(blush) and the wee little chipmonks are visiting and the ominous hawk is also finding refuge in the tree above~the cycle of life before our eyes!

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum

Phyllis Doyle Burns
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
Hey that's a great way to brighten any day! Toe-tapping to the Tennessee Bird Walk!! Thank you! Chirp Chirp!

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
MY little duckie mommy is still sitting upon her six eggs. (she is located beneath our air conditioner hunkered down in the mulch) She has lined the outer rim of her nest with her down!

It must be soon!

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
Shark
Shark
oh how sweet!

.... #691040 05/28/11 02:26 AM
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
Yes it is very sweet! I cannot wait to take pics of them as they travel all furry and fuzzy marching out of the nest soon!

I'll post them if I can!

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
I have caught my little duckling parade as they march across the street to their pond home now, there are 10! They walked so quickly that the pictures that I have taken are not that good!

Here's to hoping we'll have some soon!

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
What have you spotted in your neck of the woods?

Sitting quietly as I approached my mailbox was a cuddly little fox! Adorable, as he literally scurried quickly past me!!But I wondered why he was out at 12:30 pm? Perhaps just moving on by,but I'd have thought he'd do it at night, because the next day I saw him again at about 10:30 am Think there must be den near-by but haven't spotted it yet. Hope to catch a picture of him.
What's out in your yard?
Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
We pick off where we left off only 3-4 months ago~

We have had wonderfully unseasonable weather this winter just a few says ago it was nearly 60 and then the days were then followed by several in the high 50's and you get the picture, while our ground did freeze, and we officially went into Winter~just Wednesday past by my front door my bulbs are cresting above mulch line already!(and none of these crocus) Most are daffodils and te-te-taes! When my bulbs all come up too early they do not last and come April nothing will be out there! How is it in your neck of the woods?

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
Spring is not far off~as mentioned before the bulbs as well as other nature has been thrown iff by the unseasonable warmth our area has had~does anyone think that this will interrupt the growing season for crops?

How is it by you? And what will be your first signs of spring or do you also see bulbs too?

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
Around here in southern New England I have seen bulbs coming up and blooming for the past few weeks. We had an easy winter for a change and I think the flowers are confused. The bulbs I see blooming already are small white flowers, much like lily of the valley.

I do believe our milder winter will cause a lot of flowers to bloom earlier than they should, and unfortunately if we get a cold snap in the next month or two it could kill some of the plants that are coming up early. But hey, I can't complain, considering all the snow I shoveled last winter season, and I mean FEET of it. It was nice to get a milder winter this time around.

I am moving away from here to a warmer climate come fall, so I won't have to deal with snow again. Good riddance to it! I have dealt with my share and I don't care to play in it anymore.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
I can't complain either I also didn't mind having a milder winter thus far~my plants are totally confused! I just hope that by April it won't be in the 80's but if it is we'll go right into fruits and vegs.

Good luck to you and your new home soon~I'd love to go to warmer climate~too many kids yet school & all that jazz! But one of these days!

Mary Calendo
Tea Editor

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
Well as of last weekend~we have a yard-filled with Robins!`

So it's here!

mini-iris are up & daffodills (te-te-tea') about to bloom
Tulip greens showing~
How about you? Has your Spring began to sprout?

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
Koala
Koala
We were watching formations of geese going overhead yesterday. It was beautiful! There is still snow on the ground but not much. A forecast of 60 degrees Saturday and a 70 degree day for next week. I am so happy! No ribbons yet. But I did see a male cardinal.

M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
Diana, Wow 60's and 70's in the day- we will truley know Spring is here if our nights will warm up a bit too!

It is a wonderful day when at least one cardinal is spotted~I just love them-had some roosting somewhere around my home-spotted them once in awhile.

It seems our geese never go away however, spotted some sweet duckies~hopefully they are the two lovebirds that visaist every spring! (we had eggs last year)

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
As all of youy who have been following this thread for a couple of years now~we all experience Spring in different ways in different areas~

This one has been one that has melded into summer~ again breaking a record for our area w/ 84 degrees! Fabulous! But now spring sped up and hopefully the steps for proper blooming will happen~ still having it not even be April yet don't put away the long sleeves and coats just yet!

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  mary-tea1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.