Question about switching birth control pills...

I was put on Ortho tri cyclen when I was 16 which also helped alot with my acne at the time. I was on it for about 6 months and noticed that i was irritable, emotional and moody but other than that it worked well, I had regular light and short periods, little to no cramping, no acne, no pregnancy, no other complications. But i went off of it for about a a year and half then I went back on and have been on ever since and still really like it aside from some weight gain, and mood swings... now I recently heard of another type of bc pill called tricyclen lo... its bascically the same thing but lower dosage so im wondering if the lower dose would help decrease the mood swings...

is it safe to switch? are there side effects I should be aware of if i did switch? would the lo version of my pill help the irritability? how can i know if it is indeed my bc that is causing the irritability? I will talk to a dr about it when i go next, but just curious of your opinions, or if anyone has similar stories