logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Parakeet
Parakeet
"The bottom line here is that in America there are 2 equally accepted theories of creation."

Trina, I completely disagree. There are NOT two equally accepted theories of creation, there is only one. Evolution is a scientific principle that is widely accepted throughout the scientific community and the world. There is vast amount of physical evidence, collected over more than a century, that supports evolution as an ongoing process of change of life on Earth. Evolution is fact not fiction. It is no more a theory than is gravity or Newtons's Laws of Motion. It is primarily among theological fundamentalists that evolution is not accepted.

Creationism is not a scientific theory or a theory of any kind. It is an artificially created concept for the purpose of challenging scientific explanations of the origins of life and humankind with a theologically acceptable explanation. There is no agreement on the historical process and timeline of Creationism, even among its supporters. There is no single unifying definition of Creationism. It is not a theory. It is a theological concept.

Creationism should be taught in church or religious schools. Evolution must be taught in science class. Evolution must be taught in classes on biology, botany, archeology, anthropology,life sciences, and any science dealing with life and the history of life on Earth.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Originally Posted By: Trina Miller
Learning doesn't stop when the bell rings. There are things we must teach our children that will not be taught in school. If you don't teach them, someone will. It just may not be the lesson you wanted them to learn.

This is an excellent point no matter what subject matter is being taught; evolution vs. creation, sex ed, or any other topc that might be considered "controversial".

Our schools are in place to teach our children facts, it is up to us parents to teach them about the rest of life.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
M
Gecko
Gecko
M
Originally Posted By: Phyllis, NA and Folk

I think that the best thing to do is not to teach either the theory of evolution or creationism in public schools and leave it up to each individual family, church, religion, organization, to teach their children the way of their own beliefs.

The problem I have with this is that you are lumping science (theory -- in the scientific meaning -- of evolution) with religion -- creationism. They aren't the same subject. So, while we are at it, should we also eliminate health? Because, some of the facts taught in that relating to medical care of one's body will contradict what some religions teach their followers. How about other sciences?

Creationism belongs in churchs or parents can teach it in the home after school. It doesn't belong in the schools, however, because it IS religious beliefs.

Evolution, otoh, has a preponderance of scientific evidence, and is "believed" (not in the "I believe, I have faith meaning) by scientists of many different religious belief systems.

BTW, I recently read Piety and Politics, and he argued a strong case for keeping church and state separate -- and that includes creationism.

Lynn_B #544208 08/23/09 11:15 PM
C
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
C
I go to a public school, and i dont believe in religion. No offense, but i hate, i dont believe it, so in your agruments what happens to me? There are private schools that teach it, but school basically dises most religion, you know how you can do "anything" before marriage, thats all health class talks about! POublic school should not have religion. It would cost a lot more money to have all of those religions avaliable. because you would have to have every religion avaliable! My Vote Is NO! Darci :)

C
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
C
WHATS EVOLUTION????????????????? Darci :)

chica13801 #544258 08/24/09 09:14 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Hi Darci,

I don't mean to offend - but how old are you?

I'm just surprised that you haven't learned what evolution is yet. (Unless you are just pulling our legs - then, whoops - you got me!)

Evolution, in very basics, is the science of how man (and all life really) has evolved on this planet from single celled organisms into the complicated and various life forms that exist today.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
C
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
C
Im 14, i learned this i think in like 6th grade but i dont really remeber much from those days. Now i kinda feel dumb...oh well.thank you!

Darci
smile

chica13801 #544378 08/24/09 06:33 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I'm sorry Darci, I did not mean to make you feel dumb or offend you. I keep forgetting that we have some very young users on here. You did say that you were in high school.

I was always a science geek - I loved science, so remember a lot of what I was taught there. Now if you ask me anything history or geography related, I am a complete NULL. I can help my kids with English, math, or science (as long as it is not Physics or Calculus). If they try to come to me with history - I tell them to call their Dad! grin

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
C
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
C
Dude thats kool. I dont care, i have my moments of being a lil dumb. No sweat.
LOL.
Darci
smile

Last edited by chica13801; 08/24/09 09:14 PM.
Lynn_B #585813 02/21/10 02:22 AM
K
K
Vance..I understand where you are coming from and have no reason to dissuade you from your beliefs, nor you to mine. I am but a simple woman who has yet to find reason for anything so I don't say I believe in none. But I believe in what is not forced down my throat and what I have come to the conclusion of. I believe for the most part, everyone believes the same...We just all have a different way of viewing it. While you say that scientists have no proof...Why are the continents still moving? And if in fact you say that is God's doing...Why did he make the continents together only to pull them apart to put them together again. I also have to ask; You don't believe what a scientist has claimed as theory, but are willing to believe what man has written in a book? Your very own bible was written by man. Even if that hand was guided by God, is it possible he also guided those scientists the same way? It may be possible God created the Earth. But isn't it also possible that, like man, the Earth has become it's own being and has followed it's own 'free will'. I know you said this topic is pointless to discuss, and I wish not for an argument. Just a simple discussion. Furthermore, Children should be able to choose. But the fact of the matter is, most people aren't going to listen to the children. It should not be taught in public schools. They are public for a reason. The chances of having an entire christian class is very unlikely. Should we then also teach all the different views of the world all the way from the Buddist to the Gaelic? Science can be proven. Faith can not. The two should not be mixed and presented to subjectable children.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Maeve Maddox-School Ref 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.