Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
This week I am doing 20 minutes a day in quiet meditation. I'm also reading "Finding the Quiet" by Paul Wilson which talks about meditation basics (It just so happens to be a review book I was sent).

So today mid-day I took a shower and then went to meditate. I did what Paul said about cupping one hand in the other - different from what I did last week of resting each hand open on a knee. I also grounded myself into the earth, vs last week of relaxing from the toes up to the head. I seemed to relax just as quickly this way vs the previous way.

I found it was much easier to relax now, and while I still get random thoughts interfering, they seemed to be less frequent than last week. There were more stretches of quiet.

Also, even though I was now doing 20 minutes instead of 15, the timer seemed like it rang too soon! I wanted to sit some more. Which is a real breakthrough for me. Normally I am just go-go-go all day long, trying desperately to keep up with email and my to-do lists and everything. I never take a break from when I wake up to when I sleep. Carving out this time to meditate was a huge "sacrifice" to me (because there were urgent things I have to put aside to make the time) but my hope is that the week-long high focus I gain from this short investment will more than make it worth it.

That is, if I meditate for 20 minutes in a given day, that I more than gain back 20 minutes in higher productivity for the rest of the day and have a net gain.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Yeah, Lisa - you sound like you're on a good track for you!

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I am enjoying reading about your experiences, Lisa, and thank you for sharing them like this. It's certainly interesting to compare the many similarities with my limited meditation experiences. smile

Kevin Thorburn
Ice Hockey
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
The 14th was Sunday. I should try to remember to post every day, because it's hard now to keep track of what happened on what day. I'm pretty sure yesterday - Monday the 15th - was the day I meditated twice, at 20 minutes each. I thought I'd give it a try. It was very nice! Very quiet and relaxing. I meditated once mid-day, and then later in the evening I took a shower so I meditated after that. I find that when I've already taken a break to take a shower that it's easy to "tag on" a meditation session after that without feeling *too* guilty about it. That was also the night that I spent several hours at night trying to fall asleep and meditating while I did.

So today (Tue the 16th) once again after I showered mid-afternoon I went into my meditation room. This time though Bob came looking for me part-way through and talked with me. So it was interrupted. Still, better to try than to not try. It was peaceful but I didn't get the full benefit of the 20 minutes.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wednesday I had my afternoon shower then went in to meditate. It was relaxing almost immediately, and it was incredibly serene and peaceful after about 8 minutes! The full 20 minutes zipped by very quickly, and when they were done I wished I was doing more. I am waiting to move up to 25 minutes until this weekend though, so I do a full week at 20 minutes.

I didn't meditate on Thursday, it was a very hectic day and I was out of the house for much of the day. I tried to meditate in bed before I fell asleep but I am finding it much harder to meditate in bed than on the cushion seated up.

My Dad is over today, and he's sleeping in my "meditation room" - so I'll do an in-my-own-bed meditation after he goes to sleep.

Low Carb Forum

Moderated by  Susan Helene Kramer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.