logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
V
V
still not good constant screaming i know that it is for attention if you leave him in a room by himself he screaches,it is not that he cant see the other rooms but he just yells and yells he is very sweet to me the former owner told me that he didnt like men. Well there was no kidding with that he hates males ??? he will seek out my boyfriend to try to bite him ... We have tried to put him on a playstation with treats so he could be with everyone a little at a time he did pretty well for about min with minor trying to climb down to see me and screaching. I hope I didnt bite off more than I can chew I am already attached but I dont want him to live under a cover in the dark all his life,I feel when ever he gets out of control I dont know what else to do to calm him except for the cage thing ..please help he really is a sweetheart I can deal with his hatred of the male spieces later my main concern is the screaming it sets off all the other flock thanks for listening vitts

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
vitts

I can see in my email you left a post, but I can't find it in the forum anywhere, I am going to attempt to answer your post (I can see it from my email). Once parrots start screeching it has become a learned behavior. It takes a long long time to unlearn these unwanted behaviors. It takes patience so much patience sometimes you feel like you are going to start screeching yourself. Reward his quiet behavior and IGNORE the screeching; the unwanted behavior.

Try music, television (stay away from nature channels) get a couple of those rope toys with blocks and stuff, where they spend hours unraveling the strings. Give him stuff when he is quiet. Turn away from him with your back to him if he screeches. They need a lot of toys to keep them occupied.

If you leave the room and he screech, if you have to return during the screeching, return, in mean (but calm) voice say bad bird, and turn your back to him, ignore him until he is quiet.

Do either of you sing? Sing to the bird, he will love it. Sing children�s songs with limited body motions. Just close to body stuff, no outreached arms, and such. If you�re happy and you know it clap your hands. Things of this nature.

Will your boyfriend spend time with the bird? Does he like the bird? If he does and will spend time with the bird, have him spend some quality time every day talking softly, giving treats, try to stay out of biting distance but don�t show fear. There is a reason he or she doesn�t like men, someone was cruel at some point in time. Get some cool toys (just cheap Kool-Aid colored safe wood blocks from a lumber yard. Just make sure there are no chemicals on the wood.) They love to disassemble stuff. Have your boyfriend give him these special toys (only if the bird is behaving).

Keep that bird busy. Only cover for short periods of time during screeching episodes, or just use the� I am unhappy ignore him with back to him method� instead of covering. Cover at night to give him 10-12 hours of dark sleeping time though.

I hope you can stick with it; it will only get worse if you have to give up on him.

It will take time. These birds have the intelligence of any human. Once a child has behavioral problems you know how difficult it is to undo these behaviors.

Did you go to the vet and what did the vet say?

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Now your post shows, my post just created page five and I can see your post.

Last edited by Diana-Exotic Pets Editor; 01/06/10 11:19 AM.
V
V
WE ARE STILL WORKING A LITTLE AT A TIME HE DID PRETTY WELL TODAY WITH THE SCREACHING AND HE APPEARED A LITTLE MORE CALM ON HIS PLAYSTATION HE EVEN ALLOWED ME TO LEAVE THE ROOM FOR A FEW MIN WITHOUT HIM SCREAMING. AS FAR AS A BAD BIRD MY AFRICAN GREY TELLS HIM THAT ALL THE TIME. IT WAS KINDA SAD THE OTHER DAY HE HAD A REAL BAD DAY SPENT MOST OF THE DAY IN AND OUT OF HIS COVER THAT NIGHT WHEN WE SETTLED HIM IN FOR THE NIGHT HE SAID AM I A BAD BIRD IT BROKE MY HEART. WE BOTH SING TO HIM AND MY BOYFRIEND TRIES TO TALK TO HIM BUT HE STRIKES OUT ALOT AND REALLY SCREAMS IF HE COMES NEAR ME I CANT BELIEVE THAT HE HAS BECOME ATTACHED TO ME THAT FAST..ALTHOUGH I FEEL VERY ATTACHED TO HIM ALREADY I GOT HIM A NEW TOY BUT NEED TO FIND SOME OTHER ONES TO HANG IN HIS CAGE TO KEEP HIM OCCUPIED. I AM HOPING EVERYTHING WORKS OUT HE IS A SWEETIE THABKS VITTS

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
It will take a lot of time and patience but I know it will all work out in the long run. Remember this bird is just as intelligent as a human. They are very social. What ever this bird saw a man do, he is not going to get over it for a long time. Just like it takes us a long time to trust again. I suspect he saw a man strike someone and things to that nature.

After your last post, I can see the wheels turning in this little guys head. He will come around. He sounds like he is well worth the love, patience, understanding, and TIME that this is all going to take.

N
Amoeba
Amoeba
N
It sounds like there is two things going on here. One the bird loves you dearly and will do anything to get your attention.. That is not a bad thing, but he has developed a bond with you that is a a slight issue to him. As he feels your boyfriend is a threat to his "mate". That will take time for him to adjust to. Second he has the issue of screaming for any attention. Time outs help, if you stay in the room with him screaming, make a direct attempt to turn your back to him. That tells the brid you are annoyed with him and do not appreciate what he is doing. ( It is also tantamount to telling a slightly spoiled 5 year old "NO."...) Sometimes it may increase the attention seeking behavior... So just stick with it and with the time outs by covering him up. Eventually he will learn what behavior actually gets him the rewards he actually wants. With the boyfriend that is alittle more difficult... Maybe have the boyfriend spend a little more time with him when you are not there. Have him change the food and water and even clean the cage, he needs to develop a bond with him also. ( Ok, I can see the boyfriend getting mad at me, LOL.. Sorry mate. :P). In time the bird will learn what his bond is, and hopefully wil develop a bond to both of you as his flock. Not just you as his mate.

N
Amoeba
Amoeba
N
BTW Diana, I got your card yesterday!! YAY for slow postal employees riding kangaroos to deliver the mail!!!!. ( well actually a motorcycle, but it sounds funnier when picking on the Australian post to say they ride roos'.)

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Kangaroos usually are faster than that maybe they should take up using roos as a means to deliver the mail. It took 16 days to get from South Dakota to Australia! Any, lol Merry Christmas! It is summer there now, right?

N
Amoeba
Amoeba
N
Yes, it is summer :( Disgusting and hot. But give Melbourne 5 minutes and the weather will change. Ill gladly take winter any day over summer!

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Good this have a "student" exchange for a couple of months smile

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.