logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Elephant
Elephant
Quote:
Also, Christmas is a national holiday in the USA. People do get paid for Christmas even when they are not working.

Oh, and as for "throwing out terms" did you object when the Democrats "threw out terms" like racists for people who do not agree with them on their health care bill or is it just conservative who "throw out terms" that bother you?

Fact: I DO NOT get paid for Christmas or any other federal holiday when I don't work. Unless you are salaried or have benefits, you don't get paid for Christmas or other Federal Holidays.

And i object to anyone throwing around terms and then contradicting themselves.. liberal, conservative, whackjob, or not.

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
G
G
[quote=Horror_Movies_Editor]Why would Obama be Muslim Gemgirl? Oh let me guess - because he's black? What the hell is that rubbish??? And I and most ppl I know still say "Merry Christmas" - it's American culture that brought in the "Happy Holiday" saying. "What makes America better than so many other countries is our greater capacity for religious tolerance and acceptance." - I find this very ironic, some states maybe. I'm sorry but I'm not seeing this AT ALL. America has to be one of the most racist and homophobic places on Earth - sure there are plenty of good people there too, lots of them I've met on this site - but I've also lived there...and a lot of it is very predudice I found. My Uncle is Muslim and has been attacked because of it, considering it's a nation that was born of difference it's very confusing to onlookers. That statement about "true Christians" and Obama being Muslim has said enough on here alone to prove that ppl can go around saying things as if they're black or white - there are a lot of grey subjects that a lot of people all over the world can't see, and I think we all have a long way to go, including America. Merry Christmas & Happy Hannukah![/quote] Wow, are you insinuating that I made a racist comment? Sorry to disappoint you, but I based my comment on what I have seen, read and heard about Obama. During the presidential campaign, it was on TV that he attended a Muslim school and his father's family was Muslim. His being black had nothing to do with it. Oh, and don't forget, he is part white. There are businesses that do not allow their people to say Merry Christmas, but must say "Happy Holidays" instead, so as not to offend people. The fact that Christians are being offended by all this does not count, I guess. America does tolerate other religions, except that over the past several decades, it is the anti-Christians that are not tolerant of our Christian practices in this country. They are the minority yet want us to abandon our beliefs because they are offended. I think it is terrible that your uncle has been attacked because of his Muslim religion, but also be aware that Christians are being attacked and persecuted in China. Peace.

Parakeet
Parakeet
It bothers me that republicans have been holding up Health Care reform since the Truman administration.

People like me have to put off getting medical help because we can't afford it. I have been without health insurance for years.

Why has a Republican President never pushed for or campaigned for health care reform? If Reagan had pushed for Health care reform we would have it already. I am sorry I don't believe most Republican politicans give a @@@@ about my health or that of anyone I know.

S
Parakeet
Parakeet
S
Gem girl - you are crossing the line between church and state - something the founders of our country specifically wanted to avoid. If you want verification of the dangers contained within the absence of separation of church and state please look closely at the Middle East - and when you break it down to its core isn't that what we are truly battling in that part of the world. Be happy that the president of our country understands the problems when these lines are blurred.

Susan Hopf
Horses and Animal Life site editor
Horses Website
Horses Forum
Animal Life Site
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
No one is blurring the line between church and state. No one is calling for the government to be involved in making laws that establish a state religion or regulate religion: that is why churches are not taxed, because they are independent from the state.

However, the issue being discussed here is the tradition and celebration of Christmas as a national religious holiday, as all presidents have done. And obviously they have done so without crossing any line between church and state.

To suggest that recognizing and celebrating Christmas as a religious holiday is blurring the line between church and state simply erects a strawman.

Recognizing and celebrating a religious holiday in no way implies that citizens are calling for a "state run religion" as in the Middle East. That concept is as foreign to the Republican stance, as is state-run health care, or state-run car companies.

Blessings,
Linda Sue Grimes
Maya Shedd's Temple
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I wasn't aware of Obama's Muslim ties TBH Gemgirl - but now I'm educated on the matter, so I apologise for the inferance. I do agree that America and also the UK is being affected by Christian holiday's being censored by our Governments & the media. We seem to have gone PC crazy and ppl are afraid to speak what they feel, there is a huge sense of that, especially in the UK at the moment. And I see why you would want your president to back that - I agree.
I see where you're coming from with the Obama- Muslim thing. Obviously a lot of Americans would want their president to celebrate the holiday as a Christian as it is, as said above, "Christ - mass."
It just seems to me that people are concentrating on these smaller issues rather than the bigger picture. Obviously it's not "small" to a lot of ppl - but the man is the president. I completley agree with his health care plans and have no idea why any president before him never pushed for it as Craig pointed out, and I only just saw Obama on the TV a moment ago discussing climate control. These matters are HUGELY IMPORTANT to me. Important to not only America, but the entire world. I honestly don't care how he spends his Christmas as long as he's doing his job correctly, which he seems to be doing, or heading in the right direction at least.
I don't like the way the world has risen him to a sort of Celebrity status already, I know he's the first black (mixed race) president, but by raising him up so fast - he could only come down in people's estimation - for some anyway. After the Bush years of hell though, it's no wonder a lot of Americans see a new hope in him. Really, it matters more what he does with that title than anything else. So far, I'm agreeing with most of his plans - if he messes up - of course I'll admit that too, I just think there's a bigger picture if we're being honest than how he chooses to celebrate Xmas as an independent American. The Christmas thing matters, don't get me wrong, but it's not a huge thing IMO such as the healthcare and environment issues which are very, very important.
I guess I'm more left than right it would seem LOL.

Last edited by Horror_Movies_Editor; 12/18/09 12:13 PM.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
"Whatever you do, don't - fall - asleep!"
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Originally Posted By: Gem Girl

There are businesses that do not allow their people to say Merry Christmas, but must say "Happy Holidays" instead, so as not to offend people. The fact that Christians are being offended by all this does not count, I guess.

I am a Christian, and honestly do not mind being told "Happy Holidays". After all, there are several holidays being celebrated between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day. I think that some Christians do not act very Christian-like when they chew out a poor mall empoyee for saying what they have been told to say by their boss. (I'm not suggesting that anyone here has done this, but I have witnessed it being done and was embarrassed for everyone involved.)

Now I do think it has gone a bit far with some places deciding to call a Christmas tree a "holiday tree" - that is taking political correctness to the extreme and is just plain silly. We are not renaming the Menorah to "holiday candelabra" after all.

The President is still a human man after all with opinions of his own. If he wishes to spend Christmas as a secular holiday (as many people in this nation do - Santa Claus is waaayyy more popular than Jesus sadly), then that is his right.

It is our right to vote or not vote for him again in the next election.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.