logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
I wrote a brief history of Thanksgiving when I was the History Editor here at BellaOnline. The article is still live at The History of the Thanksgiving Holiday in America

Blessings,
Linda Sue Grimes
Maya Shedd's Temple
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Parakeet
Parakeet
Thank you for offering everyone a more complete history of Thanksgiving.

G
G
Blah, blah, blah! Every year, Christmas is spoiled by others trying to take "Christ" out of Christmas. These christian-haters have their own agenda going on, yet, I am sure they are happy to have the day off and get paid for it. As for President Obama, the president who has the lowest approval rating ever, for the first eleven months of his first term, is probably not a true Christian, but is more Muslim in his beliefs than Christian. I am also sick and tired of people trying to make every holiday Americans celebrate as wicked and evil in some way. We celebrate Thanksgiving to give thanks to God for all the blessings we Americans have, and God has blessed this country immensely. If people who are not American cannot understand that, too bad. Most Americans love their country and realize just how lucky we are to live in the greatest country in the world. And, yes, I do believe what I said. So, you people are not going to spoil my Christmas holiday, where I celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, and I will continue to say "Merry Christmas" and not "Happy Holiday" in my personal life and at work. And if anyone has a problem with that, sue me.

Parakeet
Parakeet
Gem Girl,

I expect you to celebrate the holidays in a way that makes you happy. But don't except everyone to feel the same way as you do. Nor should we require everyone to believe or behave the same during the holidays. Enjoy the holidays. And Merry Christmas to you.

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
I don't think anyone expects everyone to celebrate a holiday the same way. I grew up in a Catholic Jewish Irish Italian German melting pot area. We were all tolerant of each other and no one fretted over what to say to people to wish them the best on their holiday - Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, and we added bits and pieces of everyone's holiday to our own. Tolerance is a two-way street - one person or minority group should not demand that the majority change their ways and the majority should not demand the minority change their ways of celebrating or living.

Parakeet
Parakeet
What makes America better than so many other countries is our greater capacity for religious tolerance and acceptance.

Elephant
Elephant
I love how people throw out terms like "true christian". The last time I checked, a Christian is a follower of Christ. Who are we, as falible humans to judge who is a true christian or not. I think only that when they face the Allmighty in the end will they be judged on this fact.

Additionally, many people celebrate the non-religious aspects of christmas such as gathering with your family, sharing in gift giving, and just enjoying the day with those whom you love. I do enjoy getting christmas off, because it gives me a chance to commune with my family and friends. And no, I don't get paid for that day. I have never been paid for that day when I DON"T WORK ON THAT DAY. Most people who get paid on that day have to work ON THAT DAY so that others can be at home celebrating christmas in their own tradition.

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
S
Parakeet
Parakeet
S
Jase,

As usual you are a bright and fair spot in an otherwise divisive debate. Acceptance and tolerance is after all part of most religious teachings (not fundamentalists of course)and when talking about other's holiday celebrations, even those in the public eye, we would all do very well to keep that in mind - thanks for reminding us of that.

Susan Hopf
Horses and Animal Life site editor
Horses Website
Horses Forum
Animal Life Site
Gecko
Gecko
That's just not possible. Christmas means literally Christ Mass. It's the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. Our president knows that and I am really disappointed in him for this.

A bit OT but thanks, Linda, for the article about the Republican answer to the Health Care Reform.

Stay well everyone,

Nancy Welker
BellaOnline Yoga Editor

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
You're right, Nancy. Obama's instincts are wrong. Back when he announced to the world that the U.S. is not a Christian nation, he sent the wrong message. Something like 80% of Americans identify as Christians.

Glad the Republican HC alternative article was useful. Too bad it can't be put in place instead that horrendous monstrosity that is poised to destroy our economy.

Blessings,
Linda Sue Grimes
Maya Shedd's Temple
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.