logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
Wow I'm in total shock after reading a couple of articles lately on bootcamp workouts and other workouts that are so hardcore they can induce something called Rhabdomyolysis: "the breakdown of muscle fibers resulting in the release of muscle fiber contents (myoglobin) into the bloodstream. Some of these are harmful to the kidney and frequently result in kidney damage" (medline)

Apparently cases of this are on the rise especially in CrossFit facilities nationwide where mascots like pukey the clown and rabdo the clown are used to ridicule people who can't keep up with the hardcore yet poorly planned workout routines.

The San Francisco weekly featured a story about two women who experienced rhabdo as they like to call it and what it was like for them. Scary stuff!!

I suspect this is only going to get worst in Jan. and I'm thinking about writing a quick guide on safe workouts and what a good boot camp workout or any workout plan should be about.

How hard do you think you would push yourself if you were in an environment where you were being pressured to go all out? I think I might actually cave in to this kind of pressure and not listen to my body which is why I chose not to try Crossfit this year.

Last edited by ExerciseEditor; 11/06/09 01:59 PM.

Monica Neave ISSA Certified Fitness Therapist

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
C
Hi Monica,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Recently, someone has suggested me to join a bootcamp class. I was intrigued, but I had some concerns. I am glad I came across your post. It is always a question to me on how hard I should push myself since our exercise culture keeps giving out conflicting messages. I look forward to your safety guide.

S
Amoeba
Amoeba
S
That sounds really scary. I never realized that you could actually die from over-exercising! Thank-you for bringing it to our attention.

Sa'Diyya
Editor of Bella Online Islam Site
Editor of Bella Online Marriage Site
The Us Factor Learn the skills you need to keep
your love alive. Risk-Free Trial.
Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
Some of the research I've been doing is so scary. I've written a few extreme fitness articles on my other site and am putting one up this week here at bella.

Main thing is just ask a lot of questions. What certification does this person have. Is it current. Do they have insurance. Ask to see all those documents or get references from friends.

Ask how they periodize workouts and how they modify exercises. If they can't answer these questions find somebody who can. There are many qualified trainers but also many scary ones.

I agree Cara about getting mixed messages. I mention that briefly in all my articles but maybe I should write more about that.

It is definitely a huge issue in the fitness industry. Some trainers telling you to go 150% while others claim you can get by on just 8 minutes of exercise a day.

I think the truth lies somewhere in between. Check out my brand new video on exercise progression where I discuss how important it is to start with basics then progress as you go. Sadly, many trainers don't know how to teach this.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts give me more ideas about what people need to hear.

R
R
this is a great thing to increase our knowledge. ============================= Roger [url=http://www.trainwithmeonline.com/programs.asp]Workout Routines[/url]

Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
Extreme Fitness & Hardcore Bootcamps

How to spot trainers who have no clue what they're doing. Watch the two videos and compare a total amateur (I actually met this guy once and can honestly say I was less than impressed).

The second trainer is a bootcamp trainer for Todd Durkin one of the most respected athletic fitness experts in the world.

Todd trains professional atheltes and he actually teaches a course on bootcamp training for IDEA fitness so all his trainers are exceptional at what they do.

Also the guy in the bootcamp beatdown video is my friend Sean who is a CHEK certified holistic lifestyle coach. Sean doesn't promote anything that doesn't focus on health first and foremost.

My favorite Sean saying "you do not get healthy by losing weight, you lose weight by getting healthy"

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
I think a lot of people watch shows like the Biggest Loser where people are hounded and pushed, and they think that any person who does that must be right. But if you "put yourself into someone's hands" they can really cause you serious harm if they don't know what they're doing. So definitely I agree that researching them thoroughly is critical.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I agree that too much pushing is not going to be healthy for anyone! Even the trainers on Biggest Loser have been concerned and shocked in the last few years on what the producers have been asking their contestants to do.

For one thing, the last few seasons have seen contestants that are over the 400-pound mark, several close to 500 pounds. In Season 7 Jillian and Bob were freaked out that they were getting into this territory. The trend continues this season with even more people in this weight range. This is really not the level of weight a reality show should be dealing with and not what Bob and Jillian agreed to do.

You can't have 400+ pound people training at the same levels as 200-300 pound persons without getting injuries. And it shows: Season 7 had the contestants training for and running a half marathon and then a full marathon. The trainers were appalled. And then this season, before the contestants even made it to the ranch, there was a mile-long beach race right off the bus that two people ended up life-flighted and hospitalized for.

People in both recent seasons have been handling stress fractures (one girl was sent home with a pelvic stress fracture, which is *incredibly* serious). One woman got Rhabdomyolysis and spend the first week of the show hospitalized, and then the next two weeks prohibited from using the gym.

One woman started the show at 476 pounds. Think about hard exercise on your joints and organs when you carry that much weight. When I go backpacking with more than 50 pounds on my back I feel completely crushed inside. So I'd have to imagine almost seven of those Backpacks on my body (i weigh 120-130) and THEN be pushed through a grueling workout with all that weight, for ten hours a day every day for months.

The show is now on irresponsible territory. Not the trainers' fault - i think they really don't know how to handle the direction the show has turned. frown

Last edited by Jilly; 11/23/09 05:01 PM.
Jilly #566867 11/24/09 05:22 PM
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
That is a real shame Jilly. I definitely agree that heavy people do need help, but they probably need *gentle* help at first, swimming, and that sort of thing. Their bodies need to get out of the "high danger zone" before they can start working more hard.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
Jilly

There are tons of trainers (myself included) who speak out about B.L. all the time. I've watched the show once and didn't like it.

Jillian and Bob have said in interviews that they do not agree with some of what goes on in the show and that what is portrayed on t.v. is often edited for major drama and for better ratings.

Jillian is often portrayed as this mean hardcore drill seargant when in reality she's a lot more nurturing and Bob comes across as a softie because most of his pushing is edited out.

I think NBC is definitely being very irresponsible but they won't stop because people love watching it and people think that this is how you get results.

Real training is actually very drawn out and at times can be incredibly boring for the person losing (the trainers always know how to have fun). The real drama in real personal training studios and gyms always goes on among trainers like in that other reality show Workout. I thought that show was way more realistic both with results and with what goes on in the gym.

I guess the one positive side of B.L. is that they show that very overweight people can lose the weight. It can be done without surgery, pills, or freaky diets!

Last edited by ExerciseEditor; 11/26/09 04:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.