logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Alferd Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I'm try to decide about online college and I keep finding all sorts of information about a college must be accredited. What does this mean? how does it help me?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Alfred, sorry i can't help you, I'm sure someone will come along who can.
But I do want to welcome you to the forum, we hope that you enjoy your stay!
Rosie

Rosie L
S
S
It means that the college is recognized by the accrediting agencies that also accredit traditional colleges, in the sense that it offers quality education that is at par with regular college. It also helps incase you want to transfer credits from one college to another, you can't do this if the college is not accredited. Also incase you'd want to apply for financial aid or other grants, this is only possible through an accredited college. Most employers also don't recognize degrees acquired from colleges that don't have legitimate accreditation.

You can get more information about why college accreditation is important to your education from: http://www.distance-learning-college-guide.com/

Hello Alfred,

I wrote an article discussing accreditation a couple weeks back but basically I wondered the same thing. What is the big deal about the long word. I found out on the department of educations site all that goes into a school becoming accredited as well as what it does and does not say about an institution claiming to be accredited. Accreditation basically guarantees nothing except that a school has satisfied standards to be considered as having a worthy program.

Nothing is guaranteed even when one goes to a well known school. The "accreditation" is sort of a seal of quality much like the one we see on toothpaste, Chiquita Banannas, Tylenol, other. It means everything and nothing. Right on the Department of Educations site it states that the accrediting agency is private but governed by the Secretary of Education. Read my article and then peruse the link I listed to the Department of Education for more info.

Check out BellaOnline's education section for further browsing on the subject of higher education. My newest newsletter includes a site that may be helpful in your search for a school. Good luck in your search!

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Sanita Salter, DistLearning Editor
Dist Learning Website
Dist Learning Forum
Newbies, welcome to the forum, we hope that yous enjoy your stay!
Rosie

Rosie L
J
J
Well, "college must be accredited" means that the university from where you are going to earn degree is recognized or not. Do it follows the norms of department of education? Its very necessary to check this thing before getting enrolled in any degree program. Else you may face difficulties while looking for job, as employers don't accept degrees that are not approved by accredited universities.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I discovered the communtiy college I went to back in the 60's was not accredited so when I went back to school 2 years ago the credits I received from that school did not transfer. A bummer.

Granny
Thousands of years ago cats were considered Gods
Cats have never forgotten this.
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
From 50states.com

Accreditation is a process of validation in which colleges, universities and other institutions of higher learning are evaluated. The standards for accreditation are set by a peer review board whose members include faculty from various accredited colleges and universities. The board aids in the evaluation of each potential new school accreditation or the renewals of previously accredited colleges/schools.
In order for potential colleges to proceed with the accreditation process smoothly, they must meet the general standards set by the peer review accreditation boards. Each college is typically assessed using the following criteria:

�Overall Mission of the College
�Objectives and Goals
�Student Requirements for Admissions
�Services Available to Students
�Quality of Education
�Reputation of Faculty
Why is accreditation important?
An important factor in realizing a successful career is choosing a reputable college. Colleges that have been through the accreditation process are more likely to offer degrees that employers and recruiters recognize. Companies want to know that you have a quality education and that you will have something to bring to the table when you join their team. For this purpose, accreditation enables companies to filter those individuals who have obtained a degree from an accredited institution from those who have not. The accreditation process also offers students a better chance of having their credits transfered to other reputable institutions should they decide to obtain a graduate or doctoral level education.

Do all schools need accreditation?
Not all schools need accreditation. Some schools offer specialty training programs in technical and art fields that don't fall under the traditional process of accreditation. One way to tell if your school is qualified or not is to do the research and be sure that it is recognized in the community as providing the valuable skills necessary to do the job.

Do online learning institutions offer the same accreditation as "brick and mortar" institutions?
All national and regional agencies of accreditation hold online educational institutions and distance learning programs to the same high standards that are held by the traditional "brick and mortar" institutions.

How do I know if my school has accreditation from a reputable agency?
Whether you are interested in being a student of an online university, traditional "brick and mortor" college, or an online training program, it is important to be directed to a credible source to obtain the right degree. Knowledge of the accreditation process will help you avoid "diploma mills" or other institutions that grant degrees without providing students a quality education. To avoid these issues, be sure to conduct your due dilligence and read up on the body responsible for accreditation at your college/school before you sign up. You can also find a wealth of information on accrediting bodies at the Council for Higher Education Accreditation's website, www.chea.org. CHEA is recognized as an advocate and institutional voice for self regulation of academic quality through accreditation.

In general, universities and colleges are accredited by one of six regional agencies of accreditation. For more information regarding each accreditation body and the regions they govern, click on the links provided below.

�Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
�New England Association of Schools and Colleges
�North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
�Northwest Commission of Schools and Colleges
�Western Association of Schools and Colleges
�Southern Association of Colleges and Schools

Granny
Thousands of years ago cats were considered Gods
Cats have never forgotten this.
N
N
Regional accreditation agencies in US are responsible for making sure that colleges meet some standard on how they provide education and the quality of education they provide as a result government and good organizations will have interest in employing degree holders from accredited online colleges. Unaccredited online colleges are regarded as diploma mills because they are not accredited as the name implies, hence they are illegitimate and offer degrees that lack credibility and value unlike the accredited online college. You can have a list of various accredited universities offering online degree here: http://www.editurl.com/4tq

Last edited by Neal can; 11/11/09 07:53 AM.
E
E
Accreditation mean that the school and program should be recognized by some accrediting or registered universities as there are many online schools that provides fake degrees. One should be aware of such schools while selecting best online schools

Moderated by  Patricia PN - DL Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.