logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MM Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Homeschoolers are always being asked about socialization. What is the most frequently asked question about Mormons? (if you aren't LDS, feel free to guess!)

Sponsored Post Advertisement
I live not very far from a Mormon home schooler. I do not know how many times myself or other neighbors had to call local law as well as state authorities concerning neglect. The mother was a full time student as well as the fahter, there were 8 children in the home, and just left to wander, homeschooling has a bad rep owing to this misdirection your church seems to display. I hope not all Mormon families are as pretentious as these neighbors as are seem to be.

Zebra
Zebra
I would guess that the most frequent question is "Are all Mormons polygamists?"

I get these questions asked all the time:
1) Is it true that Mormons wear Magic Underwear?
2) How can you be Mormon and a Christian at the same time?
3) Is it true that you can't have caffeine?
4) How come Mormons have a lot of kids? [One of my friends has 9 younger siblings and they're likely to have more in the future... yikes]
5) Why do you go to Seminary if it doesn't make you a Priest?

Mike
I wanted to respond to the comment regarding the misdirection of the Mormon Church regarding �home schooling.� First, let me say thank you for being open and honest in your opinion. Second, there is not any official church doctrine regarding �home schooling,� although there are volumes on the priority of education and family. There are also members of the LDS Church who choose to home school (because they feel this is the best way for their family to be the highest priority and to get the best education possible) and even some Church leaders who have published their personal opinion on the benefits of home schooling. But this is simply their opinion, not the Church�s doctrine.

Just as with any of the major world religions, the LDS Church is not an elite organization that only allows those without imperfections to join. If we did that, our buildings would be completely empty because no one would qualify for membership. We open our doors to everyone. We teach people correct principles and let them govern themselves. The result, however, is that there are those who claim membership, but do not follow the doctrines taught within the religion. Unfortunately, there are even those who act completely contrary to the teachings of our Church; (child neglect being a prime example,) but continue to label themselves as Mormons; thus misrepresenting all of us to those unfamiliar with our teachings and giving us all a poor reputation. As we have seen in the tragic events of the last few years, we are not the only major world religion that has had this problem.

Please understand that I am not trying to justify this person�s actions. Nor am I condoning the actions of anyone who looks the other way when they see this or any behavior of the like. But I will say that it is unfair to judge a group of almost 12 million people who have made a commitment to follow the teachings Jesus Christ by the poor example of one family.

There were those who listened to the words of the Savior, Jesus Christ when He served his ministry on the earth 2000 years ago. But it would be unfair and the conclusions would be inaccurate if someone was to look at the actions of one in the crowd who returned home and assume what the teachings of the Lord were by that person�s behavior without listening to the sermon first hand. This situation is no different. If you want to know what the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints teaches in regard to education, treatment of children or anything else, a reliable and accurate resource is www.lds.org.

barbybuddy
As a mother of 4 with 2 extra living in my home at this time I would like to thank sheille for he answer to that question or comment YOU took the words right out of my mouth however I also feel for the family regarded in the statement.
Imagine for a minute that you, are that mother of 8 it is a hard thing to be home all day with kids that cemand alot of attention let alone attending school full time she is probably stressed beyond measure I think it would be a helpful thing that maybe instead of call the cops and other agencys why not go knock and offer to help her i bet you would find a very stressed but loving mother who would just love to talk and you might even find a new friend. i know i would love to have one of my neighbors (who i am sure they have on many occations seen my 3 year old escape out the back door in nothing but her diaper and me chase her with the baby on my hip and thought to themselves what a lousy mother)come and offer to hold the baby why i get the 3 year old dressed to go outside and play I would love them forever but hey thats just my thought.
Thanks Stressed out mom of 4 AHHHHH

I am very new to this whole thing of message boards. But when I logged on and read shellies reply to the statement on home-schooling I was so impressed and thankful for your remarks. unfortunately I get a little too heated when I listen to ignorant remarks made about LDS people by people who have no idea what we are about. As you stated we are not perfect by any means but that isn't the religion that is the people. What a better place our world would be if we could, like the other woman indicated see a need and lend a helping hand to someone who is seemingly struggling instead of passing judgement for something we have no idea about.

Thanks for the excellent representation

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
That situation with the family of 8 children and mom & dad going go school and are neglecting the children. Unfortunately this happens all too frequently in this world and not just in LDS families but families of all faiths, race and economic levels. There is no need to single out a certain group because people of all types are involved.

Sarah Redhawk

Moderated by  C.S. Bezas, LDS Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.