Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#552383 09/30/09 03:36 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I am very surprised by eBay's forum policies.

First, if you mention someone's name in a thread, they delete the ENTIRE thread from start to finish. They don't SAY this in their rules anywhere - they just do it. I had a great 100+ post thread going with tons of valuable information in it, including how to ship packages, how to print labels at home and more. In *one* post in that 100+ post thread I had mentioned the buyer's actual name, when I was describing the PayPal transactions. They could have just deleted that name reference. Instead, they deleted ALL the posts meaning all that information I was using was now completely lost.

So I started a new thread to try to ask people some of the questions again so I could get the answers and copy them down this time. In the new thread I mentioned I was summarizing this way because the old thread had been deleted and I was trying to recoup the information. I was warned by another member that merely MENTIONING A DELETED THREAD was enough to get this entire new thread killed off!!

So not only do the eBay moderators delete threads without any rule violation reason (or if it's in the rules, it's so vague as to be unintelligible by many posters) - they then delete any references to what they have done in subsequent posts! It seems like 1984 control-the-past to me. They apparently want to control all historical record of things they have done to forum posters.

As someone who moderates many forums, this really bothers me a lot.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
K
K
This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I hadn't come across this before and do find it very strange. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Share it with us and let us know what's really going on in the auction world.

Kim O�Shea
Online Auctions
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I noticed the whole thread had been deleted. There was a TON of useful info in there too.

I also noticed that ebay posters are not always as kind and gentle as posters here. A more rough crowd who aren't afraid to call you stupid, foolish or whatnnot. Lisa, I thought you handled your own well in there.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Yes that was the frustrating part, is that there was a lot of valuable information in there that I was using. Then POOF it was all completely gone and I of course have no way to recreate it. So I'm trying to remember bits and pieces of what they told me.

I am now on my THIRD thread in there and I am just getting worn down. One person is telling me self-insuring is illegal. Another person is telling me it is stupid for me not to self insure. Even if I tried to do exactly what they told me, another one of them would be yelling at me for doing that.

I told them all exactly what I was going to list my current GameCube games at - with $2.99 handling. That covers the delivery confirmation (which they told me was required), the insurance (which they told me was required) and the envelope. It leaves me 5 cents (**5 cents**!!) to cover gas and everything else. I told them that cost and they said it was fine. Now they're telling me it's illegal to charge that much. I am just SO frustrated.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
They are really quite rude in those threads to you, but i think the thing is the regular posters are doing ebay as: 1)a business to 2)make gobs of money.

So they don't 'get' you, who are in essence, having a yard sale in a very casual, personable manner.

With the new ebay rules, they are telling you, for example, to self-insure...but just not to SAY that in those words, which is not legal. And to NOT itemize your handling fees. They want you to CYA (cover your...). :-)

I can see this is really useful, helpful stuff, but it also isn't how you, personally, do business. You are a caring, thoughtful, kind person who is just trying to move your goods into other loving hands. Ebay is not that place anymore, apparently.

You are having entire useful threads deleted b/c of ebay's demoniacally strict, yet strangely unstated rules. You are having people ridicule clear and transparent communication in favor of finding semantic loopholes to make ebay work in their favor.

I sense sellers are scrambling to make sense of earning a living on the New eBay and want you to just do what they do. It bugs them that you don't want to do it their way. I think you are totally right to look for a new outlet for your auctions.

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Lisa... sounds like it's time for you to create your next site.. the Lisa version kinder gentler ebay! I'd sell there.. :-)

Nicki Heskin, Breastfeeding and Early Childhood Editor
Breastfeeding Site - Breastfeeding Forum
Early Childhood Site - Early Childhood Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
LOL you know I was actually laying awake in bed (which is why I'm down here typing now) thinking "What if I built an auction site ..." but the legal nightmares that would ensue immediately scared me off the idea. I bet ebay has giant teams of lawyers. That definitely would be a lawyer-rich environment.

So it did tempt me for a moment smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I wonder if you could build something where only BOL editors could sell stuff (mostly you!).. review copies and whatnot. Something that works alongside the ebook system. Maybe fixed price, not auction. Just a thought..cause I know you need a lot more to do.

Nicki :-)

Nicki Heskin, Breastfeeding and Early Childhood Editor
Breastfeeding Site - Breastfeeding Forum
Early Childhood Site - Early Childhood Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Maybe we could make a thread in the editor's area about swapping/giving away stuff?

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Voila!

Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.