Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Shark
Shark
L
Dearest Chica13801,
I remember being 14--it was a really hard year for me. I hope you are having a better time of it than I did. You sound kind of angry and stressed out.
It sure is easy to get defensive about your life situation when someone starts talking about how great a different option is.
The reason I'm chiming in on this conversation is to encourage you not to judge all home schoolers by the "brats" you just endured. You probably don't want us to judge all public school kids by any particularly disturbing one we might meet, right?
Also, something that will really help you to be taken more seriously is to read through your posts before you post them, and fix any errors you find.
Posting things online when you're angry isn't a good idea, and the older you get, the more trouble it could cause you. Trust me, I know, I've made a couple of pretty bad mistakes that way.
Here's hoping your freshman year goes really, really well.

--LeeAnn

Sponsored Post Advertisement
G
G
I applaud your eloquence and your accuracy. I also note for many parents of children that are formally educated, if most children were properly socialized, we wouldn't have to have a need for sensitivity training for adults. Take a look at the corporate seminars teaching one how to respect other ethnicities, sexes and classes in the workforce and in life. We wouldn't also be turning on our televisions to see punctuations of hate crimes. Lastly, today's schools were designed from the industrial age when America needed good workers. It doesn't foster socialization, as this was not the intent during this era.

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
We've seen both sides of the coin with our son, Michael. He is a Sr this year in a public school, but we did try homeschooling 1 year.

Michael has Asperger's; similar to high functioning Autism. He is brilliant when it comes to academics (breezes through class - especially if it is math based at all), but has a horrid time with social and emotional issues.

His 8th grade year was very rough, add puberty to a child with Asperger's...you get the picture. Well, he decided that being a Freshman in his very large public school might be too stressful. I thought he was very mature to think ahead to a problem like that. So we homeschooled in the 9th grade.

He still went to all of our church Youth activities, he joined the local canoe & kayak team (when Atlanta hosted the Olympics, the kayak races were held near where we live, so we have this awesome facility) and he got into acting.

But he was bored staying home with me and missed his friends so wanted to go back to public school in the 10th and has done very well since then. Michael actually does sort of need the "forced interraction" of high school, because it makes him learn how to deal with circumstances he doesn't like instead of just hiding in his room. Like I said, academics are not his downfall.

But he did not suffer from his year with me. There were no negative side effects. In fact, even though we are happy with our particular school system - I do think he needed that year to "decompress" a bit and move at his own pace.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Originally Posted By: Garnetta
It doesn't foster socialization, as this was not the intent during this era.

So many parents today have abdicated the role of raising their children over to teachers it is not even funny!

The way it should work is that the teacher gives example like instructions to the child at school on academia, and then the parents help the child perfect it at home. The teacher's should not be teaching morality or social values at all - because that should be coming from the home.

But there are kids that see their teachers more than they see their parents! I am not talking about the poor families that have to work double shifts in order to feed their child. I'm talking about the Dad that comes home and sits in front of the TV all night with a beer in his hand and the Mom who would rather go shopping than read her little one a bedtime story.

Anyway - I sort of wandered OT with this, sorry!

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
A
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
A
Freedom of speech is a blessing! Let's keep our comments in check and share positive homeschooling information. :0)
I am excited to bring new ideas to this forum for homeschooling families. Feel free to share your thoughts as well, either online in this forum or email me at the homeschooling site.

AlissaMoy
BellaOnline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Yes, Sorry about that Alissa.

My point with that was Homeschooling parents have actually taken the reigns of raising their children back into their own hands. (I kind of wandered and never really got to the point did I?)

When Michael spent that year at home, the Kayaking that I mentioned had 2 homeschooling teams and they were fantastic!

There is also an orchestra here in Gwinnett county that homeschool kids can join (I believe it is sponsored by the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra). Many, many gymnastics programs are set up with homeschooling kids specifically in mind, there is a cooking school sponsored by the Atlanta Institute for Culinary Arts - the list goes on.

There are actually more opportunities for kids that are homeschooled to try different things, because they are not hampered by the fact that each and every school must offer the same curriculum.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
A
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
A
Hi Michelle!

Kayaking sounds so neat! We have a wonderful homeschool support group with an "Outdoors Club" that facilitates activities monthly like kayaking hiking, letterboxing and more! I just wish it was not so hot here in Florida most of the year. :0)
The Atlanta Symphony program and cooking programs sound wonderful too. We are very blessed to have alot of great homeschool opportunities as well here in Central FL. Even Disney offers Homeschool Days (not free though!) What enrichment programs do you all have in your states/cities/groups? Please share! :0)

AlissaMoy
BellaOnline
A
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
A
The Language Exchanges is a neat social idea for teens. We have several programs here in Central FL that offer homeschooled teens an opportunity to buddy up with exchange students learning English at Disney! Thanks for sharing...:0)

AlissaMoy
BellaOnline
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.