Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Calla Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
C
Why are you so against monkeys as pets Diana. At least it seemed so according to your story you wrote on monkeys.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
Koala
Am I against monkeys as pets? On a scale from one to one-hundred I am at about 75 against monkeys as pets. I am just as vulnerable when I see those darling little babies. And, they have so much love to give. They kind of remind me of a baby raccoon in the love category. Those sweet little paws on your face, the look of trusting innocence coming from their eyes, and even the companionship.

What I don't like is the abuse I have seen. The people that buy any exotic pet and haven't a clue of what they need, how to take care for them, the list of course goes on. I remember a little monkey kept in a cage outside a tiny trailer in Oklahoma. The poor little dear. I wanted to grab that cage so badly. It is also not right to stop exotic pet ownership because some people abuse their animals. That would be the same thing as no one can produce a baby because some people abuse their children.

There are always exceptions to the rule. I have seen great monkey people. The other thing I am concerned with is having large cats as pets. But again, I have seen a few great cat people.

Another major problem is once they reach sexual maturity they can cause injury to others and they are not happy campers. They can get very big and strong. I am really against people having monkeys around children.

I am outraged at poachers catching monkeys for the pet trade. I guess I have a thought and a feeling or two on the subject of some exotics as pets.

One more thing on the plus side is so many animals are endangered and close to extinction. Many exotic people's primary reason for having some exotics is propagation of the species. Extinction does mean gone forever.

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
From what I have read, monkeys simply do not make good pets once they reach adulthood.

Also, monkeys are so close to humans that it seems vaguely like slavery.

Koala
Koala
That is an irrefutable truth. No matter what I think of to justify what I could say to refute the statement � it comes back oh my gosh she is right. We consider monkeys the lesser primate however; they aren�t fighting over healthcare right now. They are attending to who needs attending to. The fact remains, any slave in the history of the world has been thought of as a lesser being; the slaver superior.

I would like to see more opinions on this statement.

C
Calla Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
C
Pet Monkeys are slaves that is a bit far fetched don't you think? Calla

G
G
I thought this rather strange even to bring up until I gave it some thought. As strange as it seemed at first it does hold some merit. ~George

C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
I have never forgotten something I read in a book on pet cat care. The author was referring to how much happier a pet cat is when there is another cat to keep it company in the household.
She said to imagine how you would feel if you lived with a pair of huge creatures who loved you and gave you everything you ever wanted, but never let you have the comfort of another human being.
That's how I feel about keeping normally-wild animals as pets. Monkeys have a rich social life in the wild which human households cannot possibly duplicate for them, and when they get mature of COURSE they want to mate and rear a family. I wouldn't call a pet monkey a slave unless you had it trained to work for you, but isn't it really a captive?

Koala
Koala
Of course it is a captive. Many animals have a rich social life including dogs. I doubt if any monkey is truly happy in captivity. The slavery issue was more of a thought provoker however; it is a well known fact that monkeys have a complex social structure. No human can take the place of their own kind, -ever! Thank you for your input. The reality of Exotic Pets at BellaOnline is to help people go through the thought process and to be able to make a well educated decision. Where is the dividing line on which exotic animals are ok to have as a pet and which ones are not? How do you decide?

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
You see so many horror stories about these things, and it's nearly always the animal that gets blamed. These are wild animals - not pets. There was a show on TV about ppl adopting monkeys as babies, and they were dressed up and all this other nonsence. Why would you want to humiliate the beautiful creatures like that? Think how that poor monkey is going to feel when it does reach adulthood and then it's owner can't handle it - then it's even more confused. Human's are so selfish. It's all designed around what humans want.

If you want to own a cat, but you're allergic and don't want your furniture scratched (not that I find this happens), then you don't shave the cat and get it de-clawed (don't get me started). You have no right whatsoever. Joanna Lumbley did a brilliant show on Cats over here just the other week.
I find the big cat pet trade the most horrific though, keeping these huge, beautiful wild creatures and hoping to tame them when they should be free. Unless it's for their own safety or survival of course is just insane. Then they get blamed when someone is attacked. And to think that the laws in the US are practically non-existent apart from a few states is just baffling.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
"Whatever you do, don't - fall - asleep!"
Koala
Koala
Reminds me when I was watching a TV show about dogs all dressed up. One of the dogs was died pink to match his/her clothes and furnished room. It churned my stomach. You could see the disgrace in the animal�s eyes.

About the great cats, how do you feel about the argument that many exotic people's primary reason for having some exotics is propagation of the species?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.