Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Calla Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
C
Why are you so against monkeys as pets Diana. At least it seemed so according to your story you wrote on monkeys.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
Koala
Am I against monkeys as pets? On a scale from one to one-hundred I am at about 75 against monkeys as pets. I am just as vulnerable when I see those darling little babies. And, they have so much love to give. They kind of remind me of a baby raccoon in the love category. Those sweet little paws on your face, the look of trusting innocence coming from their eyes, and even the companionship.

What I don't like is the abuse I have seen. The people that buy any exotic pet and haven't a clue of what they need, how to take care for them, the list of course goes on. I remember a little monkey kept in a cage outside a tiny trailer in Oklahoma. The poor little dear. I wanted to grab that cage so badly. It is also not right to stop exotic pet ownership because some people abuse their animals. That would be the same thing as no one can produce a baby because some people abuse their children.

There are always exceptions to the rule. I have seen great monkey people. The other thing I am concerned with is having large cats as pets. But again, I have seen a few great cat people.

Another major problem is once they reach sexual maturity they can cause injury to others and they are not happy campers. They can get very big and strong. I am really against people having monkeys around children.

I am outraged at poachers catching monkeys for the pet trade. I guess I have a thought and a feeling or two on the subject of some exotics as pets.

One more thing on the plus side is so many animals are endangered and close to extinction. Many exotic people's primary reason for having some exotics is propagation of the species. Extinction does mean gone forever.

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
From what I have read, monkeys simply do not make good pets once they reach adulthood.

Also, monkeys are so close to humans that it seems vaguely like slavery.

Koala
Koala
That is an irrefutable truth. No matter what I think of to justify what I could say to refute the statement � it comes back oh my gosh she is right. We consider monkeys the lesser primate however; they aren�t fighting over healthcare right now. They are attending to who needs attending to. The fact remains, any slave in the history of the world has been thought of as a lesser being; the slaver superior.

I would like to see more opinions on this statement.

C
Calla Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
C
Pet Monkeys are slaves that is a bit far fetched don't you think? Calla

G
G
I thought this rather strange even to bring up until I gave it some thought. As strange as it seemed at first it does hold some merit. ~George

C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
I have never forgotten something I read in a book on pet cat care. The author was referring to how much happier a pet cat is when there is another cat to keep it company in the household.
She said to imagine how you would feel if you lived with a pair of huge creatures who loved you and gave you everything you ever wanted, but never let you have the comfort of another human being.
That's how I feel about keeping normally-wild animals as pets. Monkeys have a rich social life in the wild which human households cannot possibly duplicate for them, and when they get mature of COURSE they want to mate and rear a family. I wouldn't call a pet monkey a slave unless you had it trained to work for you, but isn't it really a captive?

Koala
Koala
Of course it is a captive. Many animals have a rich social life including dogs. I doubt if any monkey is truly happy in captivity. The slavery issue was more of a thought provoker however; it is a well known fact that monkeys have a complex social structure. No human can take the place of their own kind, -ever! Thank you for your input. The reality of Exotic Pets at BellaOnline is to help people go through the thought process and to be able to make a well educated decision. Where is the dividing line on which exotic animals are ok to have as a pet and which ones are not? How do you decide?

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
You see so many horror stories about these things, and it's nearly always the animal that gets blamed. These are wild animals - not pets. There was a show on TV about ppl adopting monkeys as babies, and they were dressed up and all this other nonsence. Why would you want to humiliate the beautiful creatures like that? Think how that poor monkey is going to feel when it does reach adulthood and then it's owner can't handle it - then it's even more confused. Human's are so selfish. It's all designed around what humans want.

If you want to own a cat, but you're allergic and don't want your furniture scratched (not that I find this happens), then you don't shave the cat and get it de-clawed (don't get me started). You have no right whatsoever. Joanna Lumbley did a brilliant show on Cats over here just the other week.
I find the big cat pet trade the most horrific though, keeping these huge, beautiful wild creatures and hoping to tame them when they should be free. Unless it's for their own safety or survival of course is just insane. Then they get blamed when someone is attacked. And to think that the laws in the US are practically non-existent apart from a few states is just baffling.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
"Whatever you do, don't - fall - asleep!"
Koala
Koala
Reminds me when I was watching a TV show about dogs all dressed up. One of the dogs was died pink to match his/her clothes and furnished room. It churned my stomach. You could see the disgrace in the animal�s eyes.

About the great cats, how do you feel about the argument that many exotic people's primary reason for having some exotics is propagation of the species?

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I feel that if they were keeping them correctly or were in danger then that would be fine. Actress, Tippi Hedren, runs a big cat sanctuary for big cats that have been poorly treated or rescued, and the horror stories were just unbelievable. A panther being locked in a cupboard when it got too big etc.

I think if someone is keeping a big cat in their back garden for this reason then it's just an excuse to have one. Unless the garden is huge and the animal has to be cared for by humans because it can't go back into the wild. There are so many different cases - but in general I don't see how many ppl can justify keeping them unless it's truly for the animals well being.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
Koala
Koala
I worked with the Performing Animal Welfare Society (PAWS) in Galt, CA. I was able to help from a different perspective, as a press card carrying journalist. I have seen the horror these animals had gone through until Pat brought them into her care. I had the privilege of being in San Andreas, CA for the opening of the ARK2000. More than once I left Pat�s side trying to hide my tears. What a remarkable organization. If you haven�t heard of the ARK 2000 take a look smile Hundreds of acres and state of the art elephant barns (African and Asian)and a Tiger habitat. Also, the Amanda Blake Memorial Wildlife Refuge in Herald, CA. Amanda was instrumental in PAWS. We will all miss her greatly.

Performing Animal Welfare Society

G
G

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
AN elephant jacuzzi? No way. I want to see that. I bet they love it.

Koala
Koala
They certainly do:) You can see a picture of it on their website. It is in the elephant barn.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Wow, those look like really happy elephants. That is nice to see.

Koala
Koala
I was thrilled to watch that project from beginning to end. The area is beautiful too. We had a lot of Eagle Scouts do their projects at PAWS that was pretty niffy too.

C
Calla Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
C
lol I opened a can of worms. Slavery? Held captive? Their just a monkey. Their kinda like humans but still a monkey.

Koala
Koala
Welcome Calla to the Exotic Pets Forum. It is good to see you again. In answer to your comment if monkeys are just monkeys then we are just humans. In my mind we are no better if not worst. We kill for the thrill of it. We put our young in garbage dumpsters.

Last edited by Diana-Exotic Pets Editor; 09/30/09 10:41 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
"Just a monkey" - well I think that about sums up your attitude towards animals then. If it's just a monkey, no-one should want one as a pet should they?

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I agree about the 'we are just humans then' whole heartedly.

I have dogs, and of course they are captives. I feed them, leash them, control their lives. That they are happy and love me does not hide this truth.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I guess the only animal you can apply not being captive to is Cats, probably another reason why I love them so much. They either choose to come back or not. Unless they're a house cat LOL.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
Koala
Koala
On the other hand there is feral colonies of dogs the "left over�s, unwanted, and throw-a-way pets" that people abandon. I have been deep into these huge ranches on horseback. This was way back when I was twentyish. Ok, NOT WAY back lol. The point being, these animals are miserable. They were domesticated, obviously can�t be undomesticated. They are full of mats, parasites, disease, and starving. There is little water to be found on the west coast in the summer. They are dehydrated. I�m not going to even approach the cat issue�that one even causes worst heart pain. I was up to my ears in feral kittens in California. I still have two of them. My face, arms, and hands are full of scars from scratches. My bank account still suffers from what I have put into abandoned animals. Some exotics have been able to survive in the wild how well I don�t know. Not about to horseback in Florida even if I could. But, releasing these pets �to the wild� has caused serious tribulations to our environment, as well as being cruel to the pets.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
It's a sad story and my heart is easily broken by seeing creatures in pain. I don't have an awful lot to add to this.

My fantasy is that when i have the money to retire I can build an off the grid solar home with a ranch for abandoned animals. Just a loving place to live out their lives in health and some measure of happiness.

Koala
Koala
Steven, thought of this when I read your post (the quote). I have a cat that lives on my desk. This cat knows more hot keys on the keyborad than I ever will. Makes for some interesting pickles I have to find a way out of

A catless writer is almost inconceivable. It's a perverse taste, really, since it would be easier to write with a herd of buffalo in the room than even one cat; they make nests in the notes and bite the end of the pen and walk on the typewriter keys. ~Barbara Holland

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
LOL - love that. My cat does the same, always on the keyboard nosing about. I love that first line too "A catless writer is almost inconceivable."

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
Koala
Koala
Kinda thought you'd like it wink Tell me about you cats smile

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I have a Tom cat (Tuxedo Black and white) named Flower (my sister named him, but we figured it was cute, like the skunk from Bambi LOL, he's second to my mother on my love list LOL smile

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
Koala
Koala

That is sweet smile Sounds like an awesome cat. I like the name. I don't know how many times I have seen Bambi. I have two cats. Molly was my petrified cat. We got her about ten years ago. She was a feral kitten and had been rescued by a cat rescue. She was a year old when we brought her home. She missed kitten adoption because she had been ill.

She was so stiff when we brought her home we could have picked her up by the tail. She had no idea how to walk on carpet. She stuck to it like Velcro. Which lead me to believe she had been caged quite a bit? Or, maybe the foster home didn't have carpet.

She began to bond with us. My office had a window that faced the front door. One day a neighbor came walking up to the door. She was on my desk. (She has been on my desk for ten years - surprised she didn't stay there in the moving van to South Dakota) She growled at him when he walked up. So she was our stiff watch kitty lol.

It took a long time to unstiffen this cat. Today, she melts in your arms. She is with me 16 hours a day. She scared my ragdoll cat so bad I have to keep them separate.

My ragdoll is so shy (she is also a rescue - we found her as a tiny kitten.) At that time I had so many cats. We had moved to California to take care of my folks and were living in a mobile home in a senior park. It was full of ferals. It didn't take me too long to find a ranch to live on, still close to my parents.

Anyway, I had spotted this ragdoll kitten. I couldn't get close to her. She is so pretty. I will post a picture of her. I have pictures of Molly somewhere but she is your basic black cat with a few tiny white hairs on her chest.

The minute I head to the bedroom, cat 2 Squeaky affixes, her self to my side. We read together, watch TV, play, and she sleeps with me. I have some major health issues so sleeping isn't my forte. She rarely makes a sound, but when she does, it is a high pitched squeak meeeoooo hence her name Squeaky. She is just the shyest, sweetest little thing.
Sorry, for the length of the story smile

Anyone reading this please introduce yourself and your pets!

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Don't worry about the length, I love hearing about people's pets - especially the feline friends smile Squeky looks so beautiful from the picture - such beautiful colouring.

Awww, Molly sounds adorable too - we got our cat from the Cat's Protection League, because as you know, there are just so many feral cats about. They told us Flower was found on a Romany gypsy site, which I found facinating, so I always think of him as kind of mystical - but I find most cats are anyways smile

I just know when I'm older I'm going to have a house full of cats LOL - my cousin has a grey Burmese and a she's really friendly. I'm used to having Alley cats as we call them, the most I've ever had at one time is five, right from kittens - and they'd be so cute crawling all over with their tiny claws LOL. They were selling kittens earlier in the market and I was so tempted - luckily they couldn't leave their mother yet else I think I would have had to bring one home LOL. I would love to get an Egyption Mau - I just think they're so beautiful, I can't believe that in Egypt they're treated like pests, while here in the West, we pay hundreds for them. I think I'd like to try and get as many natural breeds as possible, I don't like the idea of creating cats without whiskers and short legs and other nonsence. I just love them so much, Flower's asleep beside me now smile they have this mystical allure about them, so beautiful, graceful and also wild - just facinating creatures I think.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
Koala
Koala
They are no doubt mystical. Molly is on my list today, she sent me on a virus search yesterday. I kept having source code flash on my screen. It took me a while but she was sleeping next to the keyboard and her hind paw was on a key. Though, it turned out to be lucky, I did find a virus � every time I go into Yahoo groups I end up with a virus.

Like many animals, I believe they will find out someday that cats have more intelligence than ever given credit. Even though they may not recognize themselves in a mirror lol. As a monkey and a elephant do. Still on subject - monkey.

Koala
Koala
I am not sure if we are not missing a thought or two here. Why is it that humanity many years ago found it necessary to acquire the first animals as pets?

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Well, lots of reasons, companionship - also ppl used animals to help them in work and hunting for food. I guess with wild animals, they come across them in odd ways, find them left as babies etc. and think they can handle them. Now we have crazes which are always made worse by the media. For example, when I was a kid everyone wanted turtles or terrapin's cos of TMNT - then the other day there was a show about ppl having monkey's instead of babies. Michael Jackson had bubbles, stupidly, and ppl follow these media trends without thinking. Even after the horror stories they seem to think that they are somehow different I guess.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
Koala
Koala
I remember being 3-4 years old; I had to be that young if we still lived in Spokane Washington, where I was born. My parents got me a turtle, if I remember that correctly it had to be a red-eared slider. It had this tiny little tank, it live in, with a palm tree. It died. It couldn�t have been very old. Only memory of the turtle was sitting under the dining room table and playing with it. Curious how they ended up buying something like that; seems like they would have, or should have known better.
My brother played for the Demolay Band and had gone on a US tour; he brought me back an alligator, via bus, from Florida to California. Again, I was very young; no one in the house knew a thing about the poor thing. We bought minnows for it to eat. We had no idea he needed heat, light, he died too.

Maybe those experiences have something to do with the crusade I have been on pretty much all my adult life. Know what the heck you are doing before buying any pet, be ready for it, have a veterinarian before getting a pet. Grrr�grumble for feeling like I am talking until I am blue in the face.

Last edited by Diana-Exotic Pets Editor; 10/20/09 12:01 PM.
B
Amoeba
Amoeba
B

Koala
Koala
That is me and first thing in the morning brain - doesn't function until noon or a little better. I am a evening - night type person.

Is that better?

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I'm a night time person too, I find it much more relaxing.

Those were really sad stories about the pets Diana frown I can't believe your brother brought you back an alligator, via bus, from Florida to California or that he even could - that's just crazy! It'd be amusing if it didn't end so bad.

The craziest thing I've done is bring home stray kittens/cats as a child, but of course, most ppl know how to look after animals like this.

You're right, completley - ppl need to educate themselves before getting pets. Any pet, but especially exotic types - because not many ppl can even advise you on them. I'm sure that your words help a lot of ppl and hopefully stop a lot of pain too.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
Koala
Koala
Both stories were from when I was a kid. I doubt if you could transport an alligator by bus anymore. Those animals and their suffering must have really kicked me right in the heart because it certainly outlined my entire life for me.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 08/05/21 08:25 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 08/05/21 06:29 AM
2021: On this day . . .
by Mona - Astronomy - 08/05/21 06:21 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 08/04/21 02:20 PM
Autumn Favorites to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 08/04/21 02:02 PM
Venice Film Fest Adds Led Zeppelin Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 08/03/21 05:10 PM
How a Transportation Management System Reduce
by Cheap men glasses - 08/02/21 06:21 AM
Summer Solstice to Lammas - Quiz
by Mona - Astronomy - 08/01/21 12:50 PM
Trailer for Sabaya - Women Held by ISIS
by Angela - Drama Movies - 07/30/21 11:34 PM
What words tickle your funny bone?
by Cheap men glasses - 07/30/21 03:20 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2021 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.