Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
What did you think of President Obama's speech and his plan? I though he framed the debate perfectly by presenting health care as a moral issue. And I think the plan is very reasonable. I'm so glad he's my president.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Susan Gaissert, Democratic Party Editor
Democratic Party Website
Democratic Party Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
Parakeet
Parakeet
S
I agree whole-heartedly! I cannot imagine anyone else even trying to accomplish this big of a change in public and political opinion. I have always thought it ridiculous that people have to make choices whether to eat or pay for scripts or see their doc when they should. Every time I hear someone complain about footing the bill for someone else I always go back to the chain only being as strong as its weakest link. If we want to keep advancing as a society its imperative that we take care of the whole population - each and every link in the chain - and there is no greater moral concern out there than that.

Loved your letter to Mr. Obama!

Susan Hopf
Horses and Animal Life site editor
Horses Website
Horses Forum
Animal Life Site
S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
Thanks for the comment, Susan. I agree about the "footing the bill" attitude. For me,it's very personal. My dad got Parkinson's disease at age 45. My mother was pregnant with me -- her "late-in-life" baby. My father became chronically disabled, and we lived in public housing on Social Security, thanks to politicians who believed that the weak links need to be kept from breaking.

I often say to people,"If what happened to my dad happened to you, wouldn't you want someone to help take care of you and your family?" No relative could have done it. As the president said last night, sometimes government needs to step in -- at times like that. That's what liberalism is really all about!

Democratic Party Website
Democratic Party Forum
J
Shark
Shark
J
I hope you don't mind me commenting because I'm not American but I lived in the States for five years and one of the reasons we had to leave was when we discovered the company was saving money by not paying our health insurance. That scared us. Don't most Americans find it odd that Canada, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Poland, Australia etc etc all have national healthcare? Why would they do that? Are they being needlessly altruistic. No - it makes perfect economic sense. How can people function if an unexpected illness will destroy them. Don't people think the attitude of "'I'm ok so you can go away and die for all I care' terrible? It's unfeeling and un-Christian. Also it's makes no sense for the general wellbeing of the nation. By the way, I think President Obama does you all great credit and you are right to be very proud of him.

Joanna Czechowska
British Television Editor
S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
Thanks, Joanna. Somewhere around the Reagan era, Americans fell into the "greed is good," and"outdo the Joneses" pattern, and it has seemed to overtake common moral sense. That is because big business owns the major media and many politicians, and big business makes sure Americans keep feeling that way.

As Americans amass more "things," they pay less attention to their feelings and lose more of their souls. Just my opinion . . .

Last edited by Susan - Democratic Party; 09/10/09 05:15 PM.

Democratic Party Website
Democratic Party Forum
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
what about your car insurance - is it government run? I personally do not think it is the government's responsibility to be in the health care business. Now, if they want to offer guidelines to the insurance companies like not excluding for pre-existing illnesses, that's something else. Medicare is for seniors and the cost - we're all paying.

There is an interesting article on the Weekly Standard web page about responsibility. Also, friends and I were talking about issues also where the government is becoming our nanny.

responsibility article

just my two cents and I know you don't care.

J
Shark
Shark
J
This is a forum for debate. Every opinion should be aired I think. But I think health insurance is quite different from car, house etc insurance which have nothing to do with the government. If you can't afford car insurance then don't get a car - use the bus. But if you can't afford health insurance then.... what?

Joanna Czechowska
British Television Editor
S
Parakeet
Parakeet
S
The reason govt is in place at all is to protect the people - what better way to protect its people than for a country/world to provide its citizens with the opportunity for the best health possible - our health is not an option - it is our life!

Susan Hopf
Horses and Animal Life site editor
Horses Website
Horses Forum
Animal Life Site
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
JoAnna that is an excellent point about car insurance. Although housing does somewhat fall into the same arena as health - especially when children are concerned (I believe).

Of course then we could get into the real sticky debate of should the gov't force birth control on those that are on welfare - and THAT is a very heated debate.

Although interestingly enough, I seem to see the side switch on that topic.

Those that are FOR public health care are AGAINST mandated bith control - ad vice/versa (Man I better stop here, because this could go waaaaaayyyy OT and be its own topic, LOL!)

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
Hi everyone, In my personal case, I have pretty decent health insurance,with many exceptions that are paid by way of out of pocket expenses to us (things that should get coverage ie. kids braces,eye glasses, and extended dental for ex.)

I have conditions and if I switch to a different insurance, I come to them w/pre-existing conditions that they either will not cover, or will partially cover! As an American I do not know which way to turn and I do not want to lose what I have for possibly worse! But I would want better coverage if I could! A rock in a hard place!

Mary Caliendp

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.