Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#542975 08/16/09 11:46 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I love Champagne. When I was young it was an aspirational drink, quaffed by rich people. When I started drinking wine it was an expensive treat. But now the price seems more reasonable and I can afford to drink it when I like.

I especially enjoy a glass before diner on Sunday evening.

Do you like Champagne? If so, when do you like to drink it?

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Are we talking real Champagne or sparkling wine?

I've never had actual Champagne, but there are quite a few sparkling wines that I love. We tried one just this past year that I have been killing myself trying to get my hands back on, but can't seem to find again. It was called Dolce Moscato (I think) it had a picture of a mosquito on it.

But hubby and I enjoy having it with bosc pears, brie, and walnuts or pecans. It is kind of our grown up treat that we spend some time together with every now and again.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

I was talking real Champagne -- but there are many similar examples made by the same method around the world that I enjoy and would be hard-pressed to identify as not being Champagne in a blind tasting.

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
T
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
T
Veuve Clicquot Brut Yellow Label is one of our standards, but Jackson Triggs' Method Classique sparkling wine is a great and more affordable option.
Tammy

M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
I had a median priced champagne that I loved, everyone else claimed it was too dry, but I enjoyed it. The name escapes me
in a dark black frosted bottle I believe it was perhaps Ferinhet or Fresenhecht something similar to that.

Have you heard of that one?
Thanks.
Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Mary.

Yes that black frosted bottle is a long term favourite of mine. It is not Champagne but Spanish Cava from Freixenet (pronounced fresh-en-et) winery near Barcelona.

Cava (pronounced carver and meaning cave), is the legal term in Spain for a sparkling wine made by the same in-bottle second fermentation as Champagne although they use local Spanish grape varieties.

Freixenet Carta Negra (Black Label) is value fizz with a different taste from Champagne. It's worth keeping them for at least 6 months after buying and you'll find the wine has improved considerably -- much smoother, rounded out, more rich toasty flavours.

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
Amoeba
Amoeba
There is a very fruity champagne style wine from the Morton Estate range. Light and fruity and leaves a great aftertaste... that's my favorite.

It is not enough to have a good mind; the main thing is to use it well - Rene Descartes
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
Hi Peter! Thank you! Yes you hit it right on the head, I knew there was an"x" in the name somewhere! So Spanish Cava, very interesting, I loved it! Tell me if you would please a recommendation champagne for my upcoming anniversary celebration- I want to make a special toast!
Thank you.
Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Originally Posted By: LesFex
There is a very fruity champagne style wine from the Morton Estate range. Light and fruity and leaves a great aftertaste... that's my favorite.

That's from New Zealand and it is a popular fizz on restaurant wine lists there, but I don't think I had it myself.

Last night I had a Special Reserve Rose Brut from Lindauer, also from NZ, whic I though was most enjoyable.

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Originally Posted By: mary-tea1
Tell me if you would please a recommendation champagne for my upcoming anniversary celebration- I want to make a special toast!

My 'house' Champagne for many years has been Lanson Black Label. It's one of the better priced Champagnes, around the same price as Moet. Its fresh and lemony.

As an alternative, and seeing you like Freixenet, look out for their vintage version. Its a little more expensive and the bottle dark green rather than black, and its a jolly good Cava.

I'd recommend buying whatever fizz you decide on asap to let it age before your big occasion.

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Peter - Wine 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.