Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
D
With the IOC Executive vote tomorrow, Softball's future hangs in the balance. I take a look at BackSoftball's campaign here.

I most strongly feel that Women's Fastpitch Softball belongs in the Olympics. It is one of the very few female-dominated sports, and it was one of the most watched sports in the 2008 games.

I hope that my assessment is wrong, but I worry that softball has not done enough to get approved for the 2016 Olympics.

What do you think?

Don McKay, Softball Editor
Softball Site
Softball Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
If softball makes it back in, then it would seem automatic that baseball would make it back in; since one of the arguments for them being removed was that the field was not multi-purpose enough.

However, I feel they are both at a real disadvantage when placed up against karate. That is a true multinational sport enjoyed by both sexes. I was honestly quite surprised to see that it was not already an Olympic sport.

Among the other sports, however I believe the chances are pretty equal.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
J
Koala
Koala
J
I think the real reason it was taken out was that the US dominated the softball Olympic play. I think softball deserves to be an Olympic sport though. It was one sport I always loved watching during the games.

D
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
D
I tend to agree, Michelle. I think karate, at least on the surface, has the best shot. So that leaves one other slot.

I think being associated with baseball *really* hurts softball's chances. To the casual observer, baseball and softball are the same sport, and I don't think baseball has a prayer of getting in the Olympics. It's got the steroid black-eye, plus its best players don't play in the Olympics. If baseball is a non-starter, will the average IOC'er vote for Softball?

I think that's why the ISF has really been harping on the fact that Softball has never had a positive drug test in the 30 years it's been an international sport, plus guaranteeing that the best players will definitely play in the Olympics. Those two facts hopefully distinguish Softball from Baseball.

I also agree with joanj. Softball was definitely dominated by the US, at least until the gold medal game in 2008. IF Softball is the second sport taken (again, I think Karate is a shoe-in), then I think the entire Softball world owes the Japanese National Team a huge debt of gratitude for beating the US in Beijing.

We'll find out one way or the other in about 12 hours...

Last edited by Don -- Softball; 08/13/09 12:49 AM.

Softball Site
Softball Forum
D
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
D
Well, it's golf and rugby, per the BBC:

What were they thinking?

It seems that the Euro-centric IOC may have felt that Softball was too "US".

Very, very disappointing.

Softball Site
Softball Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Quote:
Synchronised swimming also has to go, not least because it's so repetitive.

"It's like Groundhog Day. They all do the same routine and there's no variance in their approach, so when you've seen five of them, you've lost the will to live."

I about died laughing when I read this part, because it is so TRUE!!!!

I still can't believe that karate didn't make it in.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
D
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
D
Admin note: I've changed the name of the "Olympic Softball" subject to "International Softball".

Yeah -- synchronized swimming is SO much more entertaining than softball.

Softball Site
Softball Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Seriously, what can you hope for to get a little excitement in a synchronized swimming routine? That one team member will go berserk and try to drown another?

That's it! Let's combine rugby AND synchronized swimming! See if the ladies can do their routines with their little noseplugs in while they have a bunch of angry men barreling down at them. Oooooo THAT would be fun to watch! grin

Then we can combine karate and those ribbon gymnastics things and see what happens there. Let a woman swirl her little ribbon while dodging a mean roundhouse kick to the head. That would easily pick that sport up, too.

(They will never let me anywhere near the IOC, LOL!)

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/01/24 03:16 PM
Spooled Threads and Deterioration
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 02/29/24 01:57 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 02/28/24 12:50 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 02/23/24 11:02 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 02/23/24 09:05 AM
Bird Buddy
by Angie - 02/22/24 08:18 PM
Sewing Ideas for St. Patrick's Day
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 02/21/24 05:33 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 02/20/24 03:20 PM
Tennis Legend Roger Federer - New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 02/19/24 08:57 PM
Lined Note Paper Template for Digital Planner
by Digital Art and Animation - 02/19/24 08:38 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.