logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
My latest article "Gardening Safely with A Puppy," covers ways to keep your puppy safe in your garden. Most of our common garden plants are quite poisonous to our pets. Just a few are hydrangea, English ivy and azaleas. Not to mention any of the nasty chemicals we apply to our roses and other plants.

www.bellaonline.com/articles/art61565.asp

I include tips for rose gardening as well as regular gardening with your new pup.

Happy gardening!

Charity Armstrong
Roses Editor

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
I wanted to share this great link with other pet owners. I've been doing research on what my new puppy can and can't get sick from eating in my backyard. Even with me watching her 24/7 she's quite the wild and crazy plant muncher.

This link to the ASPCA is amazing. It allows you to search their data base of plants by typing in the common name. It covers dogs, cats and horses.

www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/plants/

As a new puppy owner & gardener I'm definitely going to have this site book marked. It was so easy to use that I went through most of my backyard plants in about 10 minutes. Each search turns up poisonous "yes" or "no." It also lists severity of effects and symptoms.

Charity Armstrong
Roses Editor

Shark
OP Offline
Shark
If you have any pets that try to eat your mulch, don't buy the new cocoa mulch. It might make your garden smell like chocolate, but the cocoa in the mulch will kill your pets or make them very ill depending on how much they eat.

Charity Armstrong
Roses Editor

Hi everyone, Well, I have a new puppy, too, so I've done a lot of research to keep him safe. And yes, I've definitely had the "glance-out-the-window" syndrome going too! I've found lots of plants disturb my little guy--aloe, elephant ear, some lilies. . . the thing is, some plants just may make his tummy hurt a bit, but then there are plants like brugamansia (angle's trumpets)--which I love to grow in containers b/c they're so beautiful, but which are really toxic, even deadly. So maybe the thing to do is to look at the ASPCA site (recommended before) which does list lots and lots of toxic plants, but really get to know which are deadly toxic. Hope this helps! Virginia www.container-gardening-made-easy.com

Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Azaleas are the most toxic plants in my yard. Of course my puppy seems to be attracted to them, so I keep her on a leash part of the time and I don't let her outside without me.

I'd pull them all out, but I have a ton of them and they're huge.

Charity Armstrong
Roses Editor

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.