Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#530619 06/20/09 03:37 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi Everyone, I am a beginner. I've just started knitting because of the encouragment of a friend. It brought back memories of my grandmother when she tried to teach me. That was 40 years ago. I still remember somethings but I never really stuck with it. Now my mom is knitting and I want to share things with her. I've been watching videos on line (pictures or explanations in books just don't do it for me. I started a scarf to teach myself the purl stich. I'm knitting a row and purling a row. It really looks great except for the curl. The whole thing is curling. Now, I guess I could start a new trend but I'm not sure it will catch on. Will the curl go away if I block it? Is there anything I can do to it? Perhaps I should just enjoy the curl. It's a very soft yarn (angora) with a gold thread that runs in it. The skein was only $.99 so it wasn't a lot of money. It has taken a lot of time. I want to try another scarf next with 5 stiches knit stitch and 5 stiches purl. I hope that won't curl. Will it? Any advice. :) New Sue

Sponsored Post Advertisement
SimplySue #530713 06/21/09 01:42 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Hey Sue, I'm a newbie too. Just like you, I picked it up again after about 30 years and have thoroughly enjoyed it so far.

Marge can provide great advice and has some wonderful tips and illustrations in her forum articles. They have really helped me.

The knit 5 purl 5 is a stitch I've used in dishcloths with great success. I've always began and ended each row with knit, which makes a border, so the piece doesn't curl. You may not want a border in a scarf though.

Check the blocking article, I think the answer might be there.
Good luck.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
SimplySue #530715 06/21/09 02:42 PM
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
SimplySue,

When you knit one row and purl one row, you are doing stockinette stitch. This stitch will always curl at the edges. The way to overcome this is to knit a border on each side. Working a boarder is easy and there are two different easy border stitches you can use:
1. Make a k1, p1 border. I like to use about 5 sts for the border on each edge. So: P1, k1, p1, k1, p1 at the beginning of the row. Then work until 5 sts from the end of the row and then p1,k1,p1,k1,p1.

2. use a garter stitch border. Garter stitch is what you get when you knit OR purl every row. Working this one is extra easy - simply knit across the knit rows, then knit the first 5 sts of the purl row, purl to withing 5 sts of the end of the row and knit the last 5 sts.

Either one will solve the curling edge problem.

A k5, p5 pattern will stop curling provided that the pattern changes to p5, k5 after a given (short) number of rows. A straight k5, p5 used over the length of a long piece will create a long ribbing.

Llyn - Spinning Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Llyn #531610 06/24/09 07:03 PM
Gecko
Gecko
Thanks Llyn!

Blocking the scarf will help some, but as Llyn says, stockinette just curls. Since it is a practice scarf, I'd wear it curled smile

Good luck,

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Knitting Guild of Santa Cruz
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
MargeKnits #531643 06/24/09 07:58 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Here's a question. If I use two or more yarns in stockinette stitch, would that possibly reduce the curl?

I've been thinking about that, but haven't tried it yet. The scarves I'm making are for kids and they will probably be washed frequently. I'm thinking blocking would be a temporary fix, since a scarf won't be joined with anything like in a sweater.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Gecko
Gecko
No, I stockinette just curls. Garter stitch doesn't, and basically any stitch with a knit purl texture lays pretty flat. For scarves my favorite is broken rib (from Barbara Walkers Treasury of knitting patterns.)

Good luck,

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
MargeKnits #531649 06/24/09 08:04 PM
Gecko
Gecko
I just found these tips on knittinghelp.com "If you've already started a scarf in stockinette, you can back it with fleece to keep it from rolling, or you can turn it into a bag (fold it in half, and sew up the sides) or other object. Felting will also eliminate rolling, although be aware that it changes the knitting dramatically."

Maybe one of these solutions will work.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
MargeKnits #531780 06/25/09 12:40 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Broken Rib stitch is next on my list to learn for my scarves.

I'm much faster on straight needles, so I started a scarf in stockinette, making it wide enough to sew the edges together, to create a tube, and eliminate the edge curl. However, the yarn was too thick, the needles too small, and it was taking way too much time. After knitting about 6 inches, I realized I would have to turn a 4" wide tube that's over 40" long inside out. I know it could be done, but probably not by me. Needless to say, that project got unraveled.

I've decided if I want the stockinette stitch look for a scarf, I'll just knit it in the round on circular needles. To my surprise and my Mother-in-Law's amazement, kntting in the round using the twisted knit stitch creates a slant. It looks like the piece was knitted on a bias.

Clover has 11" bamboo circular needles. The cables are short enough for making scarves as small as 4 to 5 inches in diameter.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Gecko
Gecko
The tube idea is a great one for stockinette scarves, most commercially made scarves are done on machines with very fine yarns as a tube, but it generally isn't worth it to knit at the small gauge of the machines.

And now I'm heading off to swatch the twisted stitch to see this bias thing!

Thanks for the tip.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
MargeKnits #532107 06/26/09 03:32 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
The bias thing from knitting in the round with the twisted knit stitch also looks really cool on a hat. I've made several starting with straight needles, the base yarn and a specialty yarn. After a few inches, I drop the specialty yarn, transfer to circular needles and continue with the base yarn.

If you decrease stitches at the same spot on the rows, it makes this funky swirl at the top. I'll see if I can get the detail to show up in a photo and post it, if successful.

I haven't been following a set pattern for my hats, pretty much picking a size and working up from that. I'm not very proficient with double pointed needles yet. So I decrease a bit and then thread through the remaining stitches. I think this accentuates the funky swirl with the twisted knit stitch.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.