Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#522648 05/24/09 10:20 AM
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Is there a way of remaining vegetarian and still be locarb. I've been meat free for a week now, but I'm eating way too many carbs in the form or high fiber bread and pasta, rice and especially beans. Breakfast and lunch isn't much of a problem..scrambled eggs with cheese and spinach, avacado or tomato for breakfast and a salad with hb eggs and shredded cheese for lunch..but dinner becomes a challange. I really don't want to live on eggs and cheese for the rest of my life. My dinner plate is about 1/2 full of cooked veggies and usually beans and rice or a bean burrito..something of that nature. How much complete protein do I really need to be healthy? I'm truly comitted to being vegetarian but would like to remain locarb because the pains are coming back and they aren't fun.

Granny
Thousands of years ago cats were considered Gods
Cats have never forgotten this.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Zebra
Zebra
I think so.

Cottage cheese is a great non-meat protein source, and even the lowfat is not too high in carbs at all. It's very versatile, too, and can be used both savory and sweet.

You could also try protein powder, which comes in whey or soy. I prefer whey myself, but you could try either. You can mix it with yogurt for a pudding consistency, and of course, water for a protein drink. You can also buy low-carb protein drinks. Atkins and EAS make some that have lots of protein and very little carbs (like under 5 for the whole shake).

And, of course, there's tofu. Cheap and high-protein, and I really like it if it's seasoned well. There are also some other vegetarian meat subs you could try.

I also think you could work in some beans once or twice a week if you limit portion size to 1/2 a cup or so.

Breads, pastas, rice, white potatoes and corn should of course be limited, and aren't really bringing much protein to the table (haha) anyway.

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Granny,

Maybe you should explore the sites that talk about Gluten free Vegetarian diets.

It may not be that ALL carbs are bad for you - just the ones that have gluten (like the pastas and breads.) Try just using whole grain rices, quinoa, and beans.

Here are a few sites that give information on how to combine gluten free and vegatarian:
http://www.vegsoc.org/info/gluten.html
http://www.glutenfreevegetarian.co.uk/

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
It only lets me put in 2 at a time,

so here are 2 more - and then you can just put in "gluten free vegetarian diet" in a google or yahoo search.

http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/int...stroMay2007.pdf
http://diet.lovetoknow.com/wiki/List_of_Gluten_Free_Foods

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
We eat a ton of vegetables so I definitely understand the allure of being a full vegetarian! I have an article on the topic here -

Vegetarians and Low Carb

A key part of going vegetarian is talking with your doctor and ensuring you get enough healthy protein into you. There isn't just one type of protein, there are many aspects of protein, and you need to get all of them into your system. Just like there isn't just one vitamin, there are many different vitamins.

So be sure to talk with your doctor to understand how to keep your body healthy, to get all those protein types into your diet.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
We also have an entire forum here on vegetarian living -

Vegetarian Forum

So if you ask in there you'll get lots of help!

Low Carb Forum
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Thanks ..I'll check out all those sites. I do post in the vegetarian forum here...but thought this forum could give me more help with the locarb part. I've got to find out if soy is as bad for my thyroid condition as I've been led to believe. I'll definitely check out the gluten free vegetarian information...

Granny
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I know a lot of people are very enthusiastic about soy, but I try to be cautious with it myself. I use soy sauce and enjoy edamame, but I make it a small part of my diet.

Just like any other way of living, you can be vegetarian in a healthy or an unhealthy way. Some people think being vegetarian means eating a ton of pasta and bread and nothing else. Those are the people who develop scurvy and other diseases smile You need to be wise about your eating choices, just like every person does. Get a wide mix of foods into you so you get all the proper nutrients. Get the proteins your body needs. Take your multivitamins.

Saying "I will not eat animal flesh" is quite fine - many people live this way their entire lives! But saying "I will eat only pasta" is a death sentence smile So it's a matter of looking at the nutrients your body needs each day and ensuring you get those into you. You can easily do that without eating piles of pasta or white bread.

Last edited by Lisa Low Carb Ed; 05/25/09 02:36 PM.

Low Carb Forum
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Tonight I fixed the best dinner I've had yet. I browned up vegetarian beef stix mixed them with sauted green, and red peppers and onion. Had a nice serving of that with a lettuce and tomato salad. Very satisfying

This week I bought a bag of mini peppers..red, yellow and orange. I thought these would make great snacks along with string cheese

Granny
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
That sounds wonderful, Granny! They really have made great strides in "beef substitutes" and how they taste.

Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa LowCarb 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.