logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 37 of 46 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 45 46
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
I have a book about how to make Native American dresses and I love it! It is invaluable to my libray and to my doll crafting dresses.

You can read about it in the book review I wrote at:

Plains Indian Dresses

The book shows how the traditional dresses were made and it has excellent, beautiful, full-colored pictures of antigue dresses and detailed instructions on assembling the hides and beading. It is wonderful!

Last edited by Phyllis, NA and Folk; 05/06/09 01:39 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
_
_
HALITO!!! hello everyone, i see the campfire is still going. It has been a long time since i have visited, have been busy with life and the struggles it brings us, and family. Now that things have slowed down and i have more time I will make time for more visits. i have been reading some of the stories and they are great. I will try and round up some or our Choctaw stories and share them with you. Some are very funny and others speak of lifes lessons...It is good to be back and i look forward to visiting more often..so in the mean time, in the sprit of our ancestors..i wish you enough...OMPI

AS ALWAYS I WISH YOU ENOUGH..."Ompi"
OP Offline
Halito, OMPI. Thank you for coming back to share with us. I would love to hear some Choctaw stories, as I am sure everyone else will.

Good to have you back at the campfire.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Amoeba
Amoeba
cante waste nape ciyuzapo,

I, too, have been away from the campfire for some time. This is so exciting to come back and see new people sitting around the fire and talking about such interesting topics!.....our fire grows strong.

It pleases me to see the 'talking stick' being passed around
so freely. For a while it was just Phyllis, Connidee and me passing the stick. This is nice, for we all have something to offer and make our fire grow stronger. And too, more to add to our short supply of hot dogs and marshmallows! *giggles*

I would like to leave you with a little poem:

FALLING STARS

The other night I watched a star fall from the sky.
It was so beautiful to behold. But yet....in a way
It was a sad thing to see. I wondered what made
It fall. Had it given up all hope and wanted to die?
Then a tear came to my eye as it disappeared
From view. I thought...Oh God...there was no
One there to catch it. It was like no one cared.

As I thought about all this. I began to think how
That my friends are like stars. How at times when
I need their light they are always there for me. How
That when I'm down....they always lift me up with the
Light of their love.
There have been times when I've felt like this falling
Star. One of those times is when I lose a friend.
When I lose a friend....a part of me dies. Because
I know their light can never be replaced. And the
Part of my heart where they stood remains dark
And void.
As long as my friends need my light......I will remain
A star in their heart. Giving to them what love and
Light I have.

Let us keep the campfire burning bright.

wowastelaka,
kimi kaya

OP Offline
Kimi kaya, you make me cry tears of joy! What a beautiful poem to share with us. That is so like you. I love the feeling I get when I read posts here from all my friends.

Yes, it is very nice to see more friends gathering in our Campfire Circle.

Thank you for taking the Talking Stick and using it so lovingly.

wowastelaka,
Phyllis

Last edited by Phyllis, NA and Folk; 05/08/09 03:38 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
C
Gecko
Gecko
C
Hello all....may I take the Talking Stick for a little while? This weekend will be a busy one. Going to Shawnee Spring Powwow up northern Ohio Saturday. Our dear friend, Shannon, is bringing out her Jingle Dress for the first time. She had a vision of the dress about 3 years ago and took it to an Elder. She was told that she is to dance the healing Jingle Dance. After several set backs due to health and family troubles, she has her dress done and will present it Saturday morning. I think the Jingle dress traditions are different with different cultures but in the Ojibwa culture the jingles are believed to take the prayers of the dancer and those she's praying for during her dancing to Creator. I think I have that right, and will be grateful for anyone to correct me if I'm not. It's been a long time for her and I am so excited for her.

Sunday we will have Sweat Lodge Ceremony at home for our Cecil. He's going back to South Dakota around the 26th and then will be leaving for Italy June 10. He'll go back to SD from there, so we won't see him again till we arrive in SD for Sundance the first of Aug. It will be a joyous homecoming, as we will miss him terribly. He's been working on pipes and drums to take home to those who don't have them. He has carved some beautiful prayer pipes. You never know what is going to come out of the pipe stone. This one he's working on now is a mans pipe, so it has a foot - but for some reason it wouldn't shape the way he wanted it to shape. He kept working on it and working on it - he's incredibly patient - and as he continued to sand and polish it became evident why it refused to take the shape he wanted. The head of an Eagle began to emerge - the inclusions and (impurities???) in the stone sometimes create incredible, beautiful images in the pipe. The foot of this pipe is the head of a soaring Eagle. You can clearly see it's beak and eye. He's working on the stem now, and will carve feathers into it. He has no one in mind for it - but he says someone at Sundance will need a pipe. This one is very special.

Pipestone is almost magical, I think. My David says that when he carves a pipe, he doesn't do the work, Creator and the stone do the work. He's listens to the stone and lets it tell him what to do. I've seen this happen several times and each pipe is different and each one is exactly as it needs to be, or is supposed to be and each pipe goes to the person that calls for it. Often the pipe is made before the person calls for it and it's all ready for them. Yup....pretty magical.

I haven't been to the Campfire in a while and just wanted to share something that is really important to me. Just wanted to share with a group of wonderful people that I feel like I know so well, yet have never met. For this gift, I am most grateful.
Aho.

OP Offline
Connidee, how wonderful for your friend Shannon to be so honored! I would love to see her dance. How good this must make her feel, to be able to offer the prayers up to Creator. This is so spiritual and such a blessing.

I send prayers for a safe and good journey for Cecil. I know how much you and David will look forward to his return.

The story of Cecil's pipe is so interesting and profound. There was Eagle in there and he had to come out for a special reason. It was with Cecil's hand that Eagle was able to do so. This pipe is very special and has a definite purpose.

Thank you so very much for sharing these wonderful things with all of us at the Campfire Circle. We are a circle of friends and that is a gift.
Aho, dear friend.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Amoeba
Amoeba
Dear Connidee,

I am sure that I can speak for all of us here at the Campfire.....We are most Grateful to have you here with us.
And each time you take the 'talking stick' you share so much.
Pila Mita, Le Mita Cola!

It is true.....we have never met and yet we feel this special bond and the love among us. Friends are truly the Great Spirit's gift to us.

The following is a paragraph that I found today. I thought it was worth sharing:

Morning peeks over the horizon with fresh breath and rosy cheeks. She sparkles with dew and turns the trees into halos of green that tint the air. Her eyes are blue and she turns them on earth with tender care. Her good humor reveals that it is the month of flowers - the planting month. Speak to morning with gratitude.Though she comes daily, she stays only a few hours and then she changes clothes and moves across to the time of long shadows. Show reverence to the One who gave her to us, this time of day that gives us such vigor and such vision of how we can make her day.

Until another time:
Wakan Tanan Kici Un.
wowastelaka,
kimi kaya

C
Gecko
Gecko
C
Kimikaya,

What beautiful words! I watch the sun come up while I drink my morning coffee. I'll think of them as I watch grandfather sun peek over the tree tops from now on.

Shannon's jingle dress was beautiful. She did it proud. Her sponser wasn't able to be there. Car broke down in KY and unable to get it fixed in time to make it to Ohio. She was terribly disappointed, but it worked out the way it was supposed to. Sandy, (Shannon's sponser) was going to bring her scarf to complete her regalia and, of course was not able to. There were other things that were supposed to happen under Sandy's direction. We all just stood around looking at each other and suddenly everybody jumped into action. It was like Creator gave us a little shove and told us all to think outside the box. We scattered and managed to get the items she needed to bring it together. She was very emotional - her daddy is in the hospital with brain cancer, and he has absesses in his brain from the CA. She really struggled with whether or not she should proceed as planned or stay at the hospital with her dad. She said the night before when she and her husband were on their way home from the hospital she was praying and praying for him and for direction and she and Sam heard jingles. Jingles, jingles, jingles. (I have goose bumps as I write this....) The dress was not in the car. Her questions were answered and she brought her dress out. How wonderful that she had the faith in Creator that she could hear and accept the messages sent to her. I'm so proud of her.

We ended up not having Lodge Sunday, like we'd intended. I can't explain it. First our firekeeper called and said he was not in a good place emotionally and felt he should not be doing anything related to ceremony. Cecil has been feeling poorly; ankles swelling....he's finally agreed to see our Dr....and he even said he'd not stay in 4 doors and that David would need to conduct. David was not able to pour - he was an emotional mess....it was a weird start to the day. Each of us women felt somewhat reserved about it, too. Usually there's excitement and we all look forward to it. Usually can't wait to get started! We decided to postpone the ceremony, but still gather and enjoy fellowship and laugh and eat and just sing and drum. It turned out to be the perfect day and it was just what we needed to do. We women sat down by the lodge and laughed and told stories and just enjoyed the company of each other.

Thank you, Wakan Tanka for being all, for knowing all. Thank you for allowing us the ability to hear you and, most importantly, to listen when you let us know what we need to do. Thank you, Wakan Tanka for loving us as you do.
Aho.

C
Gecko
Gecko
C
Phyllis suggested I share some storied about my friend, (sister, teacher, Elder) Panther, who walked on last September. I loved her unconditionally and she returned that love to me and to David. We will miss her for as long as we live, but we know for a fact that she still comes to us for a visit now and again. One of the most outstanding qualities Panther possessed was her completely humble nature. Another one was her incredible sense of humor. She was always able to laugh at herself and never take herself so seriously that she couldn't enjoy life; even when she was so sick. I'll share some of the funny Panther stories - one at a time, every now and again as they come back to me.

Her husband was diabetic. He had diabetes as a child and by the time he was in his late 30's he required a multi-organ transplant. The diabetes has taken it's toll on his eyesight, but the transplants were an enormous success. It's been over 10 years now and he's doing fine. But, he really does have a difficult time seeing, even with his very thick eye glasses.

Even though she worried about him and fussed over him she used to play tricks on him and use his bad eyesight to her advantage when she was aggravated with him.

I remember one time, after a long day of drumming and singing at powwow, they'd had some words and while they were on their way back to their tent she decided to 'git 'im back'. She'd usually take the lead after dark since he couldn't see so well. This particular evening on their way back to camp she decided to take a 'detour' and led him under the low hanging awning of another's camper. Of course, she ducked down to miss hitting her head. John wacked his head twice as he passed through and had to follow Panther's cackeling the rest of the way back to their camp.

As I read through this, I realize it won't be as funny to folks reading it as it was to those who witnessed it or to those of us who heard the two of them telling the story. There's always something lost in the translation.

She was an imp. Always smiling, always sharing, always ready to do without so others in need could have enough. I never thought SHE had enough - maybe I just had too much. I love you, Panther and I miss you.

Page 37 of 46 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 45 46

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.