logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Interesting that you named the pubs. Today when I was thinking about this gathering place and I wondered why I hadn't offered anyone a pint.

There's that old perception that the Irish are all drunks. I'm particularly sensitive to this, having grown up in a house where there was (meant to be) no drink taken. My parents had both "taken the Pledge" when they were young and remained lifelong abstainers.

But that's not the way it is here at The Crossroads. There are celebrations that call for a pint, and some that call for a jar, but there's always a cup of tea.

But if Dad's around, would you ever just put that glass behind the plant!

Mary Sweeney
Irish Culture Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
S
We have Patrick O'Sullivan's that has been here for over a hundred years. Legend has it that Jesse James killed a man in Patrick's when he was passing thru the Smoky Mountains. We also have a fine pub, The Crown and Goose as well as The Irish Times pub. Here, I brought some marmalade to go with the bread

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I love Irish Pubs, mainly for the food and the atmosphere. I am not a drinker, but, thought you would like to hear some of the Irish names here in my local area. I think the Irish and Irish customs are very well loved here in America.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
My grandmother would have said, "Och, the poor, wee creatures," if she had read the story that hit so hard when I read it. Luckily, my DH saw it first, and warned me that it was coming.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Mary Sweeney
Irish Culture Editor
Mary, your link did not come out. If you post the site name, I can find it for you and post the link. Or - check with your trainer.

Marmalade? Is it orange marmalade? I love that on scones! I made a stove top pan scone this morning for breakfast, with dried cranberries, raisins and walnuts. The marmalade would have been wonderful with it.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Blessed Solstice, dear Sisters!

I couldn't go off to bed without wishing you all the best on this longest day of the year. I feel that today, at least, everything can be finished. This day should be long enough that at the end of it we can finally close our eyes and rest and say "finis."

At least until tomorrow; but tonight, sleep peacefully.

Is the Summer Solstice the cosmic "hump day?"

Do you have the sense that your whole world is changing and you're yearning for the simpler ways and the rhythms of nature?

Me too.

The man of the hour---Happy St. Dad's Day to all of ye!--- the lad, and I divvied up a load perennials and made magic in the garden. Be still my heart. I am in heaven. There was even a bit of sun for the first time in ages. I testify to the power of "Off" against the vicious mosquitoes produced by a month of typical Irish weather here on the Jersey Shore.

I don't like to use poisons; my hands are too often in and out of aquaria, plants, and cooking, let alone my own precious breath, but there are squadrons of blood-suckers out there, and the garden waits for no sissies.

We planted a nice container with thyme, oregano, and rosemary with an orange gerber daisy smack in the middle.

It was a great day.

I'm working and the Lighthouse tomorrow. I'll have to tell you all about it. It's the Navesink Twin Lights, and that's where Marconi did his first radio transmissions. Guess where he called first? Ireland! Truth.

Good night, God bless.

Mary Sweeney
Irish Culture Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Mmm, thank you for the marmalade. It's a perfect pairing with soda and brown breads...and even English muffins.

That's funny, one of my neighbors has a big jail cell door that her father gave her. It is said to be the cell door of Jesse James.

If I'm ever in the Smokies, we'll raise a pint at the Crown and Goose!

Mary Sweeney
Irish Culture Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Oh Mary,

I just read this thread and your mention of the Navesink and Bayonne made me sooo homesick!

I was born and raised in Paterson, raised my kids in Sussex County, and for the past 10 years I've been transplanted in Missouri. I keep telling my DH (a MO native) that there isn't anything wrong with Missouri that having an ocean wouldn't fix!

Thanks for reminding me of the Jersey shore and all my wonderful memories of home.

Jesse James! He was a distant cousin of my maternal Grandmother. RIP, Jesse.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
R
R
I'm not Irish but I am passionate about Ireland. I love it because the people seem to be rooted in the culture and tradition of the past...I think it's also a place where legends and myths still abound.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bee - IrishCulture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.