logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
T
Is there a safe, reliable site upon which I can store files from my hard drive while I reformatt? CD's take too long and for some reason they aren't working right.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
I copy my files to an external hard drive. I haven't figured out how to do an automatic back up of these files so that anything changed or new only would be backed up. Do you know how to do it?

I have VISTA. The software that came with my hard drive does not work with VISTA and since the initial changeover I have not looked for drivers.

Last edited by Angie; 01/27/09 07:59 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Angie - Vista comes with software built into it. Did you try the Vista backup utilities?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I just wanted to remind everyone it's time for their monthly backup! Find some way - any way - to get your important files backed up. You never know when a hard drive is about to fail!

Even if you copy your most important files onto a CD, it's better than nothing!

Low Carb Forum
G
G
My computer is a year and a half old but there's something wrong that I've not taken time to get repaired. It started Thanksgiving and will lock up when a certain thing tries to download an update. I've gotten it worked around for the most part so that I'm not having problems, but I really became worried about losing things I would regret and didn't have backed up.

I do have an external hard drive I also used for back-up, and I use my laptop for back-up, but still I'm not the best about simply doing it. A little over a month ago I went to an online back-up system which has my entire computer backed up. The first 2 gb are free, but I was way over that so I had to use the purchased version since I didn't want to simply say which files back up (such as my document files). I pay 4.95 per month and have it set to back up at 2:00 A.M. every day. It's with an online place called Mozy.

I'd not wanted to go with an online system simply becaue I didn't like my whole computer out in cyberville but finally changed my mind. So far I've been pleased. And when I was reminded by a writing agent that the businesses that got themselves up and running again the the quickest after 9/11 were the ones who had an online back-up system, that convinced me.

Glenda Schoonmaker, Nonfiction Editor
Nonfiction Website
Nonfiction Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Oh definitely I highly agree that EVERYONE should back up their files. I've heard from families who lost all their photos since they were all digital! Can you imagine losing all your photos??

External drives are great, but those can fail too. I definitely recommend having a local external drive for easy-to-get-to backups, but also once a month store stuff off onto DVD. That way it's non-crashable.

I even recommend every year or so moving a set of DVDs somewhere else. Anywhere else. A friend's house. A relative's house. That way if your house burns down, you have at least some backup of data somewhere.

The key though is not to worry about giant problems if you haven't even backed up yet. Just start small. Start today with just your most important files. If your hard drive went down today, what would you miss the most? Just drag and drop those onto a DVD. Even that much is better than nothing!

Then we can help automate it smile

Low Carb Forum
J
Gecko
Gecko
J
I had a scare with my photos. My computer crashed and I was told it couldn't be fixed. I got the "black screen of death". I had pics from about 5 years of vacations, etc on there.

My husband had backed my computer up about 8 months before the crash but I had some very precious pics on there. My husband was able to get some sort of program to fix the computer and I immediately put all my photos to CD, plus sent them to COSTCO, to my account there.

Now I back up my computer every month and I would make a special back up if I put some vacation photos or something on it.

L
Amoeba
Amoeba
L
I am a firm believer in frequent back-ups, too. My laptop was stolen a few months ago and I lost several months worth of photos, plus an ebook I was writing for a client (due 3 days later, had to restart from scratch) plus screenplays I had written, my deepest-secret-thoughts in my diary for 15 years, ebooks and other downloadable files I had paid for and my kids' homeschool transcripts/records. Needless to say I was FREAKED OUT.

Now I backup on an external drive every few weeks or so, and I use my web hosting server (unlimited storage) to keep my important work files that change daily, plus family photo archives dating back to 1993. If you choose this method, be sure to protect the directory so you don't find the pages indexed by search engines!

I think it's really cool, Lisa, that you're making a point of helping editors learn this valuable lesson. You never know how important it is until you've lost everything.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
That does sound scary HealthyMom! It's part of why I have travelogue pages on my personal website where I have all my trip photos. I figure even if my home system does crash and all my backups burn, that the website (which is hosted in North Carolina) will still have those trip photos. Still, that's not really a solution that everybody wants to do!

I'm busy backing up all my files as I type smile

Low Carb Forum
Y
Y
FROM what i have read my windows XP home edition DOES not have the capabilities to back up so that is why i have lost everything several times when something gets corrupted i do a recovery from disc that i purchased from HP and start all over I upgraded my pc memory myself but i have yet to understand backing up stuff to an external harddrive??

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Allison_PCAdvice 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.