Print Thread
#506666 03/29/09 09:14 PM
G
GrannyH Offline OP
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
G
My A1C's have been consistantly 6.2 or 6.3 for the past several years. I had my quarterly check-up last week and my A1C was 6.5 I thought this was too high. My doctor said the ranges had changed, especially for people my age. He said we over 60's (I am 60) tend to not be as healthy when we cut back too much. Since he is the same age and also a Diabetic I'm inclined to believe him, but I don't know. confused Has anyone else heard this?

GrannyH

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
Originally Posted By: GrannyH
My A1C's have been consistantly 6.2 or 6.3 for the past several years. I had my quarterly check-up last week and my A1C was 6.5 I thought this was too high. My doctor said the ranges had changed, especially for people my age. He said we over 60's (I am 60) tend to not be as healthy when we cut back too much. Since he is the same age and also a Diabetic I'm inclined to believe him, but I don't know. confused Has anyone else heard this?

I just read an article about that!

Experts Change Their Tune About Whether People With Longstanding Diabetes Should Pursue Low Blood Sugar
http://www.diabeteshealth.com

Quote:
... One of 2008's most interesting developments was the change in one long-standing recommendation for treating diabetes in people who have had the disease for a long time: Work intensely on getting blood sugar levels as low as possible.
... experts are increasingly questioning that approach, suggesting that long-time diabetics might be better off working on lowering their blood pressure and cholesterol rather than trying to achieve an A1c of 7% and lower. ...
Most people who have been newly or recently diagnosed with type 2 can reach the ADA-suggested A1c numbers fairly easily through a combination of diet, exercise, and medication. But for people who have had diabetes for years and are facing the consequences of long-term damage such as heart disease, getting to 7%-or even 8% or 9%-can be a struggle.

I still think that getting blood sugars down to as near normal as possible can help avoid, postpone and lessen the long-term effects of diabetes, and we can also work on lowering blood pressure and cholesterol. I really don't appreciate the medical profession easing up recommendations for older people when every good year left in us means so much to our families and communities. We have a lot to give and also deserve the extra time taking good care of ourselves can give us.

I'm so glad you shared what your doctor said with us -
Quote:
... we over 60's tend to not be as healthy when we cut back too much.
because I was hoppin' mad before I read it.

Now I'm cool...

Why couldn't they have put it like that in the first place?

I thought this was interesting, too:
Scientists Ponder Why Exercise Helps Control High BG in Type 2s

Maybe they'll find a pill based on that research...

Pam W
SE of Seattle

cool

Pamela Wilson - Children with Special Needs Editor
Visit the Children with Special Needs Website
I just saw my endro last week and my result was for my A1C was 9.2 still high but down from where it had been at 9.6 4 months before that and down still further from the 10.1 it had been at last year - so the insulin is working on getting it down, still now where it should be but its coming down slowly.

Moderated by  C. Kimura 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.