Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
rozroz Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Sorry everyone i gotta vent a little here and hope i can maybe get some advice from someone. I have been laid off for almost 7 months and have applied to hundreds of job postings like monster.com,findajobinyourstate.com,craigslist,careerbuilder.com and all others i've found on the net and even went store to store and business to business. Does anyone know anywhere that is hiring in lakeland,fl or anywhere close or know of any other job boards i can try? I'm 35 i lost my house 2 months ago and now living with my family again for the first time since i was 18 years old. I'm really getting fustrated and discouraged and need some advice.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Hi rozroz,

I am so, so sorry to hear about what you're going through. I can imagine how hard it must be in with the folks after all this time. You're not alone though, many...many people are moving in together just to make ends meet.

You know what I think is great? That you used a smiley face on your post even though it's been really tough for you. That means you've still got some hope AND still maintaining a bit of humor. That's great!

Unfortunately, I'm not in Florida and I'm not sure how big Lakeland Florida is or where it's by...mmm...not sounding like I'm much help here, I'm sorry.... Do they have any job fairs? Do you do LinkediN or any other professional organizations? I could be far off since I'm not quite sure what you do. You may want to share so that if something comes up, we can let you know. I know a lot of people at 7 months who are sometimes just looking for anything.
Are you using the same resume for every job or are you tailoring it for each position you're applying for? Even so with 1000's of applicants for every job, your's is going to have to stand out.

If there are zero jobs available where they are, some people have actually moved (not sure if you're by any major cities). I would look at that first (if you're located in a major market) or if your resume isn't working for you.

Either way, it's tough out there and even with a perfect resume it will still be tough...

Hopefully some of our readers can come up with additional suggestions.

Take care!

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I'm a big believer in timing. Every job I've had came after my picturing, focussing and feeling the energy of visualizing what I wanted.

For instance, I was laid off twice before I started consulting. I spent hours redoing my resume, searching on line, looking in classifieds, etc. I finally just looked at it in terms of energy. A ton going out, virtually nothing coming back.

I just stopped and tried something different. I went for drives, packed a picnic lunch, went to the lake, etc. When I saw an advertisement for something that moved me, I'd stop in and ask about the service. They would like my energy and one thing led to another and they would say something like, "We can't hire you without an application. If you could please fill this out and return it, we can start the process." smile

Everyone's on-line. Face it, it's easier and personally, I know it's depressing being without money and work, so you "productively hide." I did...Hide w/minimal guilt. Then you almost start becoming your reality.

Anyway, for me, by turning the negative of not working into an afternoon of enjoyment, your energy rises and though the jobs I found weren't $50,0000 jobs, they ended up being that in a couple years or through that job, someone crossed paths with me and gave me their card and I was on to a comfortable career.

I remember working at a temp agency, if you can believe it, scraping ink spots off of 500 pg. manuals for a large co. I got sick of hearing the people around me complain about their work, saying they were doing this to get on at this one co. I thought, this can't be the only co. So, that afternoon I answered a two sentence add in a college newspaper, I never read. I was called for an interview 3 weeks later and had my own office by the end of that day at a brokerage firm. I went in for my paycheck at the temp agency and the woman snidly handed me my check with a big exhale, leaning back in her chair. She said, actually with a power trip attitude..."Well....hmmmmm, guess you'll just have to come in early tomorrow. See what I have. If you're lucky maybe I'll get you third shift."

I said, "No thank you, I'm here to put my notice in. I'm quitting." The people behind me when from exhausted to hopeful and asked how i did it. I told them and said, "if you believe you have to wait, I promise you'll end up waiting, maybe forever."

Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Nice, Eleise. And what you're saying about the energy level is very true. Things are not just the same for everyone, though. At a very critical time in my life, I found a job looking online (craigslist). But, at the same time, I took advantage of the time off I had and did all the things I have only dreamed of doing when I was trapped at work -I took long walks to beautiful places, spent time with my hubby... It was a very nice time. And even though I applied online, I guess my energy still showed in writing.

BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
So true!

I can't think of one example where my own energy didn't affect something, especially outcomes.

So many opportunities can be missed just by believing they aren't there or something negative is bound to happen. If you can look at as many things as possible with the attitude of it being an open window, I think that puts everything into a differnt type of perspective.

Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
M
M
Lakeland is near Tampa, right??

Try this. Hope it helps.

central florida employment

Another thing to try. Get online a look up all the companies in your area. Send all of them your resume, whether they are hiring or not. Make sure your resume is perfect and try to taylor it to each company.

Best of luck!! I'll cross my fingers for you.

The Gifted and Talented Society
http://www.giftedandtalentedsociety.com/
[quote=MRS P] Lakeland is near Tampa, right?? Try this. Hope it helps. [url=http://www.cfec.org/]central florida employment[/url] Another thing to try. Get online a look up all the companies in your area. Send all of them your resume, whether they are hiring or not. Make sure your resume is perfect and try to taylor it to each company. Best of luck!! I'll cross my fingers for you. [/quote] Thanks for the tips! Yes, for a resume to be mostly efficient, you have to taylor it to each company. I know that takes a lot of time and can be exhausting, but it is worth the effort. I know it can be really tiring and frustrating to look for jobs, taylor resumes, try to find your best words and best ways to present your experience... I did this many hours a day for more weeks, and it was very frustrating to have applied for I don't know how many tens of positions and not to be called for an interview, but I finally got a job.

L
L
Hi there, I live in Jacksonville, Florida. There are few things more draining than a dead-end search. I'm using my 'spare' time trying to help fellow job seekers- and here are some suggestions. I do apologize in advance if I'm telling you what you already know. ;-) Are you effectively using LinkedIN, SimplyHired, Indeed.com? Also, are you only applying to the visible jobs and not tapping the hidden job market where almost 80% of jobs are being created? Are you calling companies after emailing your resume and cover letter-and what about hand-written thank you notes? For jobs that really matter to me, I create a power point presentation and snail mail it ot the HR manager's attention. Best wishes to all of us in weathering this economic storm. Sincerely, Arathi Dar www.myjobsearchhelp.com

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Great advice Lila25!!!

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I definitely believe in the power of networking. A ton of jobs are found by knowing the right person. Go to every networking event you can in your area and talk about your skills. You never know who will be the magic contact to talk with.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
P
P
Yep, I agree with Lisa that networking is key. However, no matter how could good you network, you need to: 1) prove that you're a competent, intelligent person 2) that you're appropriate for the job that being said, no matter how many people you meet, if you can't prove you're a good fit, there really isn't much point. i suggest you beef up your resume and interviewing skills with the help of a recruiter in your industry. they have far more insight into job search because that's what they do all day long. try [ur=http://resumeguru.us]ResumeGuru[/url]. they specialize in resumes and cover letters. they also come backed with a money-back guarantee for results so you don't waste your money. my family has used them and have had great results. it's worth checking out at the very least.

R
rozroz Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Wow thanks for all your help everyone, I finally found a job! Started last Tuesday. I ended up getting hired by a company i applied for on www.findajobinyourstate.com. It's not the best job in the world and no where close to the last job i had but hey it's a job and i'm happy and lucky to have one right now. I've found that networking and sending out resumes like crazy really helps and improves your odds of getting hired by a company! Thanks again everyone for your understanding and suggestions, i really appreciate it!

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
CONGRATULATIONS ROZROZ!!! I am so HAPPY for you!!!
Nothing like ending the day with a success story. queen

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
You could always try working from home while you're waiting - elance has plenty of projects waiting to be filled - have to weed out the wheaqt from chaff tho - some very low paid ones in there! my freelance writing business does quite well - you never know you might like it!

J
J
Honestly, finding jobs these days is WORSE than a needle in a haysack, lets be serious. I actually decided to take a few "continued learning" courses with the national education foundation.. its super cheap, looks decent on a resume and it really makes me feel like I'm not wasting my life away looking through job posts all day long haha --- OH huge point-- these course are all set towards getting job which are part of the new stimulus package... so everyone cross your fingers for me! :) and if you wanna check out the site- www.nefuniversity.org good luck ladies!

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Jessica,
Taking courses is excellent. That's one of the things that you will be able to talk about in an interview when they ask what you've been doing since your last job.
Good luck to you!!!

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
My son just lost his job. He's in construction which is relatively flat line these days. There is very little development and little commercial anything going on.

I hope it improves soon.

L
L
I agree Lisa, networking is definitely important. Do you know of any good sites to find networking events? I've been doing the Facebook/LindkeIn thing and it's good but definitely not enough. I signed up for [url=http://www.myownonlineresume.com]www.myownonlineresume.com[/url] and now have a website for my resume that I email to employers and I've noticed much more responses. Does anyone know a simple form for business cards because I want to put my URL on there when I go to some job fairs next month.

Last edited by lookingforajob; 06/12/09 02:23 PM.
D
D
I believe in keeping a positive sense of self, either in job interviewing or networking. Unemployment and difficulty in finding a new job could beat us down quite a bit. But keeping a positive sense of self will convey confidence, which is what employers want. ________________________________ Hard to land a new job? "Unemployment Stress" might be a culprit... Take a free quiz to find out! http://tinyurl.com/kwox8t

BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
You also want to keep an eye out for predators looking to cash in on desperation.

You can be plenty more confident with $75.00 + extra in the bank. Try to look especially well into word of mouth before you pay anything for any extra service. Timing is free of charge!

Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Originally Posted By: DrJane
I believe in keeping a positive sense of self, either in job interviewing or networking. Unemployment and difficulty in finding a new job could beat us down quite a bit. But keeping a positive sense of self will convey confidence, which is what employers want.

Dr. Jane, I totally agree. Employers can "sense" the negative attitude.

Last edited by Dianne W - Editor; 07/13/09 09:24 PM.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Originally Posted By: Eleise - Clairvoyance
You also want to keep an eye out for predators looking to cash in on desperation.

You can be plenty more confident with $75.00 + extra in the bank. Try to look especially well into word of mouth before you pay anything for any extra service. Timing is free of charge!

Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor

Great advice! I had a friend recently who almost got roped into one of those email scams to make money from home by receiving a money order from this company's "customer". The "customer" would send a money order made out to my friend. My friend was supposed to take the money orders to their bank, cash it, keep $150 and then send the rest to this "overseas company".
My unemployed friend thought it was an easy way to make $150.00 and could not wrap their arms around the concept that it would be a scam. She kept insisting that it must be ok because it was a money order. I finally got her to at least take it to the bank and talk to a teller, who told her exactly what I did, it was a scam and she would have been out over $3000.00 which would have been horrible since she only had about $50 in the bank. Unemployed and desperate to make money working from home any way possible.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
D
D
Her are some words of encouragement during these difficult times: Success is connected with continuous action. It's largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go. You're not finished when you're defeated, you're only finished when you quit. The most important quality essential to success is perseverance. It overcomes almost everything, even nature. You can have a fresh start any time you choose, for "failure" is not in the falling down, but in the staying down. It's not over until it's over. If you've got the courage to stick it out, you'll attain your goal. Winning isn't everything, but wanting to is. Make it a great day!

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Thank you Goodnessofgrace

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
A
A
Have you tried Yaaze.com? It's been very useful in helping me look for work, even if it's temp work, and it's a lot quicker to get hired than other employment sites. Maybe you can check it out, since it's fairly new? www.yaaze.com

P
P
Looking for a job during these times is challenging to say the least. Make sure you have a plan set up and you are following it. Keep working hard at finding a good job and you will. It's a numbers game like anything else. Good luck!

S
S
Hi There- I know it is tough out there and just wanted to suggest while you are looking to check out direct selling in particular Parylite. Check out on the web at www.partylite.com/RobinTracey. I left corporate 13 years ago and started this business and never looked back. Partylite has been in business for 36 years and is on the NYSE...Great company to work with. You can look for a postion in your field while you make some income and do it on your schedule. Check it out!

I totally agree with this! Networking is the best! In this world these days, it's word of mouth and who you know gets you where you need to be. You can't just apply to any jobs anymore. You must make a name for yourself.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Dear Silent_Cry03. You're correct. Most jobs now are gotten by who you know. Walking into a company and applying is a thing of the past. It's about networking!!

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
S
S
Thanks for the shot of energy, Eleise! After being laid off twice in two months, I was feeling depressed after applying all over the place and getting no results. You're right -- sometimes you need to take a creativity break. So I'll spend part of today doing something outdoors to lift my spirits and unblock my brain. I'd appreciate input from anyone on two challenges: one emotional, one practical. 1) My first layoff occurred after three years of promotions, raises, work and colleagues I enjoyed. The company closed my workplace. After collecting unemployment for a couple of weeks, an old friend hired me to write for a good consumer education website. Five weeks of productivity and prosperity, then the website was shut down. Both times the economy was the culprit. Still I feel like a loser. I know I'm not alone in this. What do you all do to beat the out of work blues? 2) I'm very good at what I do -- writing and editing -- but horrible at self-promotion. How can I make social media work for me in my job hunt? Thanks and blessings to all.

M
M
Hey Guys, I recently started working on this internet marketing job for a company called Global Domains International and I am making good money & my paycheck is growing every month. If you have a job or need a job please consider this job. Please go to www.kshabazz24.ws for more infomation I would like to list some of the benefits of working this job 1) Make your own hours 2) Your pay check increases every month ($10-$1000) Depending on how hard you work 3) You can market this job anywhere in the world 4) When people you tell make money you make money as well 5) No experience is needed 6) Free seven day period, Only $10 a month (you can cancel anytime, no questions asked) 7) You are in complete control of your marketing, you can market online (Forums, Ad, Videos, Social Sites) or Offline (Flyers, Business Cards, DVD, Word Of Mouth). How you market is all up to you. 8) You get your own website, that you can do whatever you like with If you have questions email me at newera1212@gmail.com Good Luck & I look forward to work with you (Please No Negative Comments I am not spamming, Just trying to spread the word about this great job)

Last edited by moneychaser; 09/27/09 03:47 PM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.