logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Parakeet
Parakeet
In the X-Men movies the women are not treated with respect because the films concentrate so much on Wolverine. Watch the 2nd and 3rd X-Men films and notice how much of those movies are about Wolverine. All the other characters are secondary players compared to the amount of screen time given to Wolverine. Wolverine does not have the strongest powers, yet in both the movies and the comics he is the most heavily featured character. The powers that Storm and Jean Grey have are much more significant than Wolverine's metal claws. Either Storm or Jean Grey could defeat him easily in a fight. But the fans seem to enjoy the masculine Wolverine with his metal claws so he gets the majority of the time on the silver-screen and the majority of pages in the comics too.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I completley agree with you (like you're avatar BTW smile )
I actually liked the Supergirl movie when I was a child, but I think they could do an amazing one now - she's a far more interesting character than Superman in the comics I think. I loved the way Turner brought her back - if they did something like that it would be amazing.

I agree on the Wolverine front a lot - I don't see the appeal, and X 3 really annoyed me with the Phoenix listening to Magneto when she wouldn't have listened to anyone! She is the strongest creature in the universe for God's sake LOL. They could have made that brilliant, but it was too many stories going on - and Bryan Singer leaving for Superman Returns was a huge dissapointment. I also didn't like the way they got rid of Mystique so early on - one of the best characters, for me. Everyone I know who reads the comics or even watched the cartoon (90's) was very dissapointed with the 3rd one in particular. Woulda loved to have seen more of Storm and Jean Grey. I'm looking forward to seeing Gambit and Emma Frost in the Wolverine Origins movie, but I'm sure they won't get represented as well as they should sadly. Emma Frost could kill Wolverine with just a thought as well as Jean LOL smile

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
"Whatever you do, don't - fall - asleep!"
Parakeet
Parakeet
I agree on criticisms about Jean Grey/Phoenix in X3. Plus why did they do things so unlike the comics? Why did Phoenix disintegrate Scott(Cyclops), her love and Professor X, but she couldn't do the same to Wolverine while he slow walked up to her to kill her. I don't buy the excuse he heals superfast. She disintegrated so many other people in a split second why didn't she do that to Wolverine? In the comics she did not kill anyone of the X-men, Professor X or her friends. She killed herself to save them all from her powerful, uncontrollable dark side. Also, in the comics she, as Dark Phoenix, consumed an entire star causing it to go nova and destroy a planet and the billions of people on it. She can do all that but she can't harm Wolverine? Are you kidding me? The only one strong enough to defeat the Dark Phoenix was Jean Grey herself.

Parakeet
Parakeet
I disagree about "Superman Returns". I really liked it. I thought I wouldn't, but I really liked it a lot. I enjoyed how the Lois, Clark/Superman relationship was so much more complex. It was so much more interesting than the Cinderella falls for Hercules type love story from the 1978 Superman movie. I even enjoyed the addition of her new finance and her son. The characters were so much more interesting and much less two-dimensional as in the previous movies. It was exciting to see Superman fall to Earth like Icarus flying too close to the sun after he saves the world from Lex Luthor's evil plot. I enjoyed watching how Lois and the world reacted to the fall of their hero and savior. The scene in the hospital with the boy was very touching. I liked how it was the son kissing Superman on the forehead and not Lois that seemed to help revive him. There was so much more character to this movie not just the superhero action. It was a very good movie.

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
If we start compring the X-Men movies to the comics - then the whole thing was messed up to begin with.

My favorite character of all times from the comics was Rogue - and I about had a fit when I saw what they had turned her into in the movie!

So I just decided to take the movies on their own merit and not compare them to the comics at all. It makes it a lot happier towatch that way. (Like multiple man being one of the major bad guys in X2, when he was part of the X-Force team in the comics - ok, I'll stop complaining now)

Last edited by Spirituality&SFFMoviesEd; 03/15/09 02:21 PM.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I also think this is the big reason Wonder Woman has not been made yet.

They are trying to figure out how to make her character remain true to the comic, but update her to current times. Make her "edgy" and tough instead of just some sex symbol running around in a red, white, and blue bathing suit.

After "Watchmen" comic book movies are going to be very interesting, I believe.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I agree that they should have just stuck to the Phoenix story-line and had all the X-men teaming up, with Jean finally having to do the internal fighting, as she has done in all the Phoenix versions. The cartoon Phoenix Saga was better than X3 - and I actually do think these movies owe a certain obligation to staying true to the comics to an extent.

I myself preffered Superman Returns to the other Superman movies, I just thought that X3 would have been a lot better with Singer behind it. I thought the actress that played Louis Lane was terrible in 'SR' though - she wasn't strong enough - and her wig was terrible LOL. I'm also so bored with seeing Lex as the only villain. There are way more interesting ones which they havn't used. I think Smallville does a better job with Supes than anything else. I wish they'd cast Tom Welling instead of Brandon Routh (he's a much better Superman I think), who was obviously only cast because he looked so much like Christopher Reeves, who I never thought fitted the part of Supes anyways, although I liked his Clark Kent. Superman has always been too good for my liking, I always preffered Batman to the 'boy-scout' LOL.

I thought Rogue was dealt with okay in the movies...I mean if they'd done her full intro then you'd have the whole past with Mystique and her putting Ms Marvel in a coma, which I hated Rogue for. IMO, Rogue is a lot like Wolvrine in the way they've given her far too much power in the comics and not enough personality.

With comic book movies, I have to say the thing that has annoyed me more than anything, was to put MJ in Gwen Stacy's role in the first Spider-man. I was literally furious! I love Gwen, and that was one of the biggest comic stories of all time - you just don't change thing's like that. I do like the spider-man movies though, and I can't wait for 4 and 5.

I still havn't seen Watchmen, I've actually never got into the comics TBH, although my friend likes them a lot.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Actually, I think that Joss Whedon wrote a brilliant script for Wonder Woman, and I can't believe they never wen't forward with it. I mean who knows stronger women better than Whedon - he certainly does an amazing job with Buffy. In the comics, Diana is so strong - I mean she can even kick Superman's butt. I think ppl always think of the TV show with WW as they used to with Batman until Burton came along.

If they do make the movie, I hope they cast an unknown though - to think Beyonce is interested is just ridiculous. I don't think the actress that plays her should have any ties to another media.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
Parakeet
Parakeet
Don't get me started on the Batman movies. I hate the last two. And was not that crazy about all the ones done in the 1980s and 90s. The best thing about all those movies was Jack Nicholson as Joker. I didn't like the last Joker despite all the press hype he got for it. Why are there so many explosions and so much destruction in the last two movies? Since when is a Batman story about huge explosions and destruction? Where is the detective part of Batman. He is the Dark Knight Detective, not just the Dark Knight. Batman is a detective not just another Hollywood action hero. I also hate how they made Ras Al Guhl his mentor and teacher in Batman Begins. I don't know who the producers thought that character was, but it was not Ras Al Guhl. That character bares not the slightest resemblance to Ras Al Guhl as he originated in Batman and Detective comics. Ras Al Guhl was a devious villian. Batman almost fell in love with his daughter. One thing Ras Al Guhl wasn't was the head of some Kung Fu vigilante society. It is one thing to do things differently in the movies than in the comics. It is another to completely change the character into something completely different.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Yeah, I didn't like the two latest Batman movies, they were too much like the latest Bond movies. 'Batman Returns' is my fave superhero film of all time though, I think it's superb. I agree that Jack was a much better Joker than poor Heath too. The thing I most disliked about 'The Dark Knight' was the fact they chnged Joker's origin and everything about him - where was the Joker gas? etc. They've taken all the fun out of the COMIC book movies. Agree about Ras Al Guhl as well - that was nearly as bad as Katie Holmes acting LOL.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gillian ClassicalMusic 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.