logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
OP Offline
A
I came across this website [url=http://www.discountedweddingjewelry.com]Discounted Wedding Jewelry[/url] and I was thinking about 'suggesting' to my fiance to look for my ring there. Has anyone had any luck with ordering diamonds online? Does anyone have any suggestions on other sites to compare with?

Last edited by arp_roses; 03/07/09 03:02 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
S
Hi, I have a problem about spending good money on diamonds online. I feel you can use a website to get great ideas on cut and style etc. The problem is acually being able to feel, look at and try on the engagement ring. The very ring, that is an important part of your special day. Just my thoughts, but money is too precious to gamble buying that type of item online.

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I agree with Sandra. I'm certain there are very reputable jewelers on-line who will provide the item as described at considerable savings. However, will this item be the one that suits you best? What is their return policy? Selecting a ring and then having to return it will eat up some time, as well as placing a hold on that money until the refund is processed. Normally shipping charges are not refundable, so you may be out that cost, as well as the time.

The internet is an oustanding shopping reference for information on styles, cuts, quality, and bands. But most of us need to try it on to see how it both looks and feels. I have short skinny fingers. Fortunately, my fiancee went through my rings and decided on a marquise cut, as I already had several rings with that cut of stone. His proposal was not totally unexpected, but it was a surprise. I was so pleased he had the foresight to discern my preferences and pick something that would look good on my hand.

For our wedding rings, we wanted something inexpensive and unique. Being an avid recycler, it didn't matter if the rings were not new. I ended up with an antique band in white gold with diamonds set in a filigree pattern and banded with yellow gold. It was from a pawn shop of all places. After our wedding, I had several clients ask who had made that ring for me. It suited my hand that well.

If your budget is a determining factor, check out your local pawn shops, or those in nearby towns. They generally have a large variety and will be able to size or refer you for sizing at little or no additional cost. The only things you'll be sacrificing are the jewlery store mark-up and the gemologist certificate for the stone. Once a ring is properly cleaned and polished, it's very hard to tell it's not new.

Several years later, I was quite pleased to learn my wedding band was actually worth about 4 times what we paid. For me, the value of the ring is irrelevant. It was my ring, I knew it when I first saw it. The sales clerk warned it could not be sized as she took it out the display case. I was not concerned, I knew it would fit perfectly, and it did.

Good luck on finding the perfect ring for you.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
J
J
I agree. I like to see things in person and try it on before buying....especially something that expensive!!!

C
C
I think you can use the internet to your advantage and find great deals to take to the jewelers. It doesn't hurt to try. But if you want to find something online you can try www.bluenile.com. My friend found a great deal on their site.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Although it may seem like a risky venture, buying over the Internet can be a very safe way to buy the most beautifully cut diamonds at the best prices. Pros: Selection - By shopping online, you can find the best-cut (most beautiful) diamonds. This is because many Internet vendors list entire wholesaler inventories, whereas most stores that buy diamonds to have in stock can only buy so many and may not have the knowledge or desire to stock the best-cut diamonds. Prices - The Internet prices are highly competitive because of lower operation cost for some and many dealers are competing to sell the very same diamonds. (There are some Internet or brick and click vendors who maintain their own inventory). In addition, you can save on taxes by getting the diamond shipped to you from another state. Flexibility - One benefit of Internet shopping is the ability to have diamonds shipped to you where you can view them in the lighting conditions where they will be worn. Consumers can also take a diamond shipped to them to a local jeweler to make comparisons. Just be aware of the return policy of the vendor from whom you buy. Cons: Uncertainty - How can I be sure that I'll get what I'm paying for? Lack of trust - How do I know whether the vendor whom I've never met will provide what he promised? Doubts - How can I be sure that I'll be able to get my money back if I am not satisfied? To take advantage of the pros and avoid the cons I suggest you to consider these simple rules of common sense: * Educate yourself * Compare prices * Check vendors * Get independent appraising

Sexy Lingerie
Love waits for one thing, the right moment.
T
T
unique but not expensive as our wedding rings.It must suite to your hand that well.if you online shopping, is perfect its size ?U can go to store, they have a large variety and will be able to size or refer you for sizing at little or no additional cost.

H
Amoeba
Amoeba
H
To buy diamonds online may save much money.However,there is a problem that the size is exactly suitable to you.At the same time,the diamonds in the pics may differ from what you see yourself.In a diamond store,you can try on it and have more chances to select a perfect one.

U
Amoeba
Amoeba
U
For me, i wont buy diamond online, 1st, im not sure the whether the diamond is exactly as they describe, 2nd, im not sure the whether the diamond suite me very well. so i think i will go to the store to choose or customize.

BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Don't do it! That's my advice.

Go some place where you have the product on hand BEFORE you give any of these people online money. You will absolutely want an appraisal!!!

Last edited by Elleise - Clairvoyance; 05/18/11 12:01 AM.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hello and congratulations on your engagement and wedding to come!

What do you know about diamonds in general? Other than the fact that they are very beautiful stones and are chosen by very many people for all sorts of reasons and for all kinds of jewellery items, not many people know too much about these precious stones.

I used to work for a jewellery store where we ran training courses for our customers so that they could make their purchases knowledgably (preferably from us of course) but from anywhere they wished.

What do you know about CUT or CLARITY or COLOUR or CARATs?

I found a very nice site that summarises all of this for you
www.myjewglerysource.com that you may like to visit but there are many other sites too which speak of the same subject.

Please note that I have nothing to do with this site and that I do not profit at all from telling you about them, it is put here just to help you and I found the information they offer clearly presented.

Anyway, my best advice is DO NOT buy your diamond ring online. Just don't. If a jewellery store is advertising their jewellery and the rings are fully described in terms of the four Cs above, then choose, get an idea of costs etc. BUT go to the store to "see with you fingers" and try on the ring. You will be very pleased that you did, no matter what your budget.

Good luck!

Last edited by Lestie - ContainerGardens; 05/18/11 01:31 AM.

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Well if its for online jewelry, i think there is no other online store in comparison with Blue Nile or James Allen!!
These are amongst the reputed site...
But still there are sites as you mentioned above which are genuine, but people find it hard to trust!!
smile
I think GIA certificate is the most important part, If you are getting a GIA certificate, than there should be no issue on real or fake diamonds.. !!:)

S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
I know that there are several different cuts of diamonds, such as: Princess, Round, Emerald, Marquise, Oval, Radiant, Pear, Heart etc... Carats are the units in which diamonds are measured. This usually is put into fractions like 1/3, 1/4, 1/2 and so on and so forth, pretty much as large and gaudy as a woman likes it. Carats is also used in reference to gold, but that has more to do with the weight I believe. Clarity is a term used to describe how much a diamond can be worth. The clearer, the more expensive usually. People who are really well versed when it comes to diamonds could probably look at one and tell you how much it's worth based upon the diamond's clarity. Or at least, that is that I know to be true. Color? Well, as far as I know, they come in many different colors, although I'm not sure if "color" can mean something else when it comes to diamonds or not. However, I have heard of chocolate diamonds, yellow, black, blue and white. I don't really know of any other colors though. That's as much as I know, and I'm not even sure how much of it is correct.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
Generally I would say to buy your diamond in person. However, great deals can be gotten online if you know what you are buying and the seller is reputable. In this economy often a nice ring can be purchased at quite a savings online.

I tried with no luck to sell my diamond engagement ring dirt cheap online because I really need the money. Maybe it's because my camera is terrible with close up pictures and the photos were not doing the ring justice. I had my diamond appraised by a local jeweler and he was impressed with the color and clarity of my stone, said the proportions were good, and that it was set well. Unfortunately he would not buy it from me because it is a marquise cut stone, a cut that is not popular now, although I still think it is one of the nicest cuts out there.

Some of us sellers are honest people, but I am sure it is hard for the every day buyer to trust someone online when making such an important investment.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
A
A
Hey I just checked your link. I really like the wedding jewelry. I recently bought an engagement ring for my hubby from perfect rings Ireland. You can also check some new collection over here. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Christina-Weddings 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.