Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Joan541 Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
J
I was wondering if anyone here had used alpaca yarn for spinning and if so, what do you think of it? My husband and I are talking about raising alpacas to sell the fleece and I just wondered how common it is to use.

It's hypoallergenic so I would think spinners and people who do yarn crafts would really like it.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Yes, I have. Lovely stuff. But, to sell fleeces to spinners, the fleece must be as clean as possible - meaning little to NO contamination with vegetable matter, dirt, dust, dung tags, second cuts, etc. and also be free of fleece faults such as tippiness, brakes, matting, etc. Alpacas LOVE to roll in the dust so investing in a good blower to clean their coats before shearing is a must.

Llyn - Spinning Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
J
Joan541 Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
J
Thanks for telling me! Do you know how I could learn to spin? What sort of place to I look for lessons?

I thought if were going to raise alpacas, it would be nice to know how to spin the fleece myself. I don't crochet but could have someone use my yarn to make me something to wear.

I've watched people spin and it looks so calming! I've done many crafts before. Do you think it would be hard to learn on my own?

L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Spinning is easy to learn but there is a rather steep learning curve while trying to get everything working together and going in the right direction. The easiest and most inexpensive way to get started is with a drop spindle. You can make one of these yourself using an old CD and a piece of doweling. There is an article on the main spinning site her at Bellaonline "Spinning On A Drop Spindle" that gives instructions. Also, you can order an instruction brochure from spinoffmagazine.com. They have a brochure on learning to spin and another on making the drop spindles. They also have instructions instructions for making a small wheel. These may be downloaded at no charge from their web site.

Not being familiar with Florida, I sure don't know where to direct you for classes. Your best bet is looking for a shop that sells spinning supplies or tracking down a spinning guild in your area. Also, be sure to check out any sheep shows or fiber festivals in your area. These shows attract spinners and they usually have a vendor area and classes.

Llyn - Spinning Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
J
Joan541 Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
J
Thanks so much! I just bought a copy of Spinoff magazine and will check their website.

Actually, the land we are looking at is in Texas, where my family lives, so may be moving soon. What part of the country are you located in?

N
N
Hi All,
Last weekend there was a small fiber festival close to me and one of the vendors there, is not a spinner but raises Llama. She sent her fiber out to be processed and had lovely rugs and all natural colors of yarn (skeins) for knitting. Her booth was very nice but she didn't even process her fibers herself. Just sent off all the fiber to be made into things she wanted to sell. Her displays of yarn skeins and rugs was pretty.

I still have both Alpaca and Llama fleeces so I didn't buy, but her booth made me thoughtful. You don't have to know how to spin or knit or weave to sell your fleeces to spinners.

Interesting I thought.

Nikki

N
N
I've never heard of any animal fiber being considered hypoallergenic. I don't know where this idea came from, but I would suspect that the idea is simply not true. Many people assume they are allergic to wool, when in fact they are more likely to be allergic to the soaps used to clean the wool. Don't know for sure, but I will assume that it is too broad a statement, to be true for everyone.

Nikki

L
Gecko
Gecko
L
I'm in Oregon. And, Nikki is correct - you do not have to know how to spin to sell your fibers. I think many of the alpaca people around here send their fibers off for processing. A few sell fleeces for handspinners but they take great care to make certain that these fleeces are top quality and extra clean. One grower I talked with spent 10 hours on picking a fleece to be certain that it was clean. Lots of work, yes - but she could ask and get top dollar for that fiber.

I think the alpaca folks have a co-op of sorts - they send their fleeces in and get product back. I suspect that they may be paid something for the wool they send in and then pay something for the product they get back for resale but am not exactly certain how this works. I do know that the products I have seen for sale at alpaca shows are not, for the most part, products made by the individual growers. I've heard, but do not know for a fact, that the fleeces are sent to SA for processing into finished goods. Anyway, the products the growers are selling is very good quality and yes, I have bought some of these items in addition to some fleece smile

Nikki - I agree with you on the hypoallergenic thing. True wool allergies are fairly rare. It is much more likely that someone claiming a wool allergy is allergic to the chemicals and/or dyes used in the commercial wool industry.

Llyn - Spinning Editor
N
N
Hi Llyn,

Hypoallergenic is a more recent term.

"Hypoallergenic"- adjective. Definition: non-allergy producing. A term applied to a preparation in which every possible care has been taken in formulation and production to ensure minimum instance of allergic reactions.
(Blakiston's Medical Dictionary)

So by definition this term is ambiguous at best "...every possible care has been taken..."

Interesting, I'm glad mention was made of this term...I will know what it means now.

Nikki

M
M
Hello Everybody, Hope you don't mind me butting in it's just that I am so excited to hear about others who are wanting to do what I want to do. Alpacas and llamas are from mountainous areas aren't they. I wondered if they would do well in an area not always cool. I live in Oklahoma which can get rather warm (translated: HOT! HOT! HOT!) in the summer. Doesn't it take cooler temperatures to get the heavy coats so the wool is nice. Do you know anything about vicunas, which are smaller animals and have an even finer wool?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.