Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#499171 03/03/09 07:57 AM
T
OP Offline
T
I thought it would be a good idea to ask everyone what their favorite curriculum is to use? Do you get everything from one company or do you mix and match?

Tammy Lessick

Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
Gecko
Gecko
S
Tammy, now that my homeschooler is a teenager, we don't use curriculum at all. We use lots of primary sources and just plain old books (not textbooks, but non-fiction and historical fiction). When my homeschooler was young, we never used a "canned curriculum." I would select workbooks from Barnes and Noble, based on what skills we were working on in Math and English. The Scholastic Professional Series had lots of neat books with hands-on activities for helping someone understand scientific concepts, geography, and how the human body works. I also highly recommend the "Let's Read and Find Out" science book series (available in libraries) and the "If You Lived in the Time of . . ." series, which are available in bookstores.

Susan Gaissert, Democratic Party Editor
Democratic Party Website
Democratic Party Forum
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks, Susan. I think following a curriculum is not necessary, but for anyone who is new to homeschooling, it can be beneficial.

Tammy Lessick

C
C
Hi Tammy,

We mix and match. We use Abeka for math, phonics and LA. That's the basis of our program. From there we just add on books and other activities for social studies and science. My school aged children are 8 and 5 so right now I just follow their interests. I think we'll keep it this way until middle school or so.

I agree with you that following a curriculum can be helpful newbies. It is a good starting place and you can always switch things up from there.

www.successful-homeschooling.com - Information, ideas and inspiration from a homeschool mom!
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks for sharing Carletta. Beginning homeschooling can be scary. I think it is important to remember that your child can learn a lot from a variety of sources. It is not necessary to go out and buy expensive curriculums for each subject. Used books, the library and the computer are all great sources.

Tammy Lessick

B
B
Hi Tammy, when we started homeschooling we did not use one curriculum, but pulled from various sources as others have mentioned. The difficult part was making sure all state requirements were meet and indexing/referencing the material for the state review. We now use an online school for homeschooling. It's called K-12. [url=http://www.k12.com/]K-12[/url] They provide online curriculum, text books, lesson plans, art materials, etc... You do trade choice of materials over a predefined structure. But, it works great for us. In addition, we also use [url=http://www.time4learning.com]Time4Learning[/url]. It is an online education web based program. Our kids (Kindergarten, 5th grade and 6th grade) love to complete lessons on there and show us their progress. The kindergartner (who is home schooled in K12) is moving ahead in reading. The 5th grader (who is in public school) is working ahead in science and reading. The 6th grader (who is in public school) is using the program to fill gaps in reading and math. It is a complete curriculum, covering not only math but language arts, science, social studies, and more. Our goal is to keep the kids engaged in learning over the summer. We've been using it for about 1 month. With three children enrolled, the low monthly price fits our families budget. Note: This is entirely my own opinion. The content was not written by K12 or Time4Learning. The writer was compensated by Time4Learning for the Time4learning review.

Last edited by Ben K.; 04/28/09 06:30 AM.
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks for sharing with us. I'm familiar with Time4Learning and have heard great things about it.

Tammy Lessick

J
J
I am an educator and I've spent five years researching why over 50% of the US elementary children are failing or disliking math. My discoveries uncovered the REAL REASONS why students are failing.... Curriculums, not teachers are at fault. Educators are breaking the very rules set forth with the introduction of putting numbers together. Math is supposed to be a step-by-step learning process and now with distractions being numbered as they are... children are hampered to a point of disregarding math studies. I have shortened and simplified elementary's beginning math to a point that in five years of research... I've never had a single student fail or dislike my methods of teaching, ie: "Mister, that's so easy... why don't nobody else teach us like that?" Math booklets are on Amazon.com How to Add Without Using Fingers and Murray's Magic Math.

I'm starting my 15th year of homeschooling this year. We've used a variety of materials over the years, but our base has always been The Weaver Curriculum. When I began, I used their Day by Day (lesson plans) but after a few years I started planning my own lessons based on the curriculum. I've added things (co-op classes, outside activities, textbooks, etc) and I've left things out (art, health, language arts) as I've tweaked the material to fit the needs of my family.

Y
Y

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.